Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For those exiled to the North among us.......

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
But that's nothing to do with any north-south issues, it's simple logistics. London has 7 million occupants, Manchester about half a million.

That's like comparing the traffic in Brighton to that of Hassocks.
Which is why its better oop'north - 'appen.

Nowhere near the sewer that is London.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Yorkshire Yorkshire Yorkshire

There is only ever one side I would want to be associated with and we wear a White rose, as much as I love the South and have spent many years between the two I still miss my weekly fix of live Rugby League, a good pint of smooth (but Harveys is very nice) a decent working mans on every corner and just the general attitude to life been that much slower and relaxed!

arkan

Jan 26, 2010
Sittingbourne
I may have the possibility of a job in Manchester and it could be the only way of staying with my current company, wouldnt want to relocate 100% and sell my house down here. As i do shift work would consider renting a room or cheap studio and travelling back in days off.......are the rental prices that much cheaper in Manchester and any recommendations on good or bad areas? The job would be in the Trafford Park area.

avoid whythenshawe like the plague, same with moss side.
I lived in moss side and longsight, both pretty shady areas, though i never had any problems at all directly, i saw alot of shit go down (this was at the end of the whole 'gunchester' era) but those places are where you find the cheapest places. The 'gangsters' generally keep their violence between themselves and dont bother the general public and personally felt much safer walking around those areas than certain places in the South East.
Nearest 'cheap' place to live which isnt too ghettofied i guess would be Hulme, walking distance to city centre and only 10 mins or so by bus to stretford/trafford park.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
You are so right about the countryside and views etc, that said many parts of Great Britain have some of the finest views etc, sadly we don't have the weather to go with it :(

Yeah, but you haven't really lived until you've got lost in the mist and rain on top of the peaty moors of Derbyshire!!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Yorkshire Yorkshire Yorkshire

There is only ever one side I would want to be associated with and we wear a White rose, as much as I love the South and have spent many years between the two I still miss my weekly fix of live Rugby League, a good pint of smooth (but Harveys is very nice) a decent working mans on every corner and just the general attitude to life been that much slower and relaxed!

Funnily enough, with the addition of flat caps and pigeons, and the exception of Smooth (and Harveys is piss), you have just summed all that stinks about the grim north.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
I may have the possibility of a job in Manchester and it could be the only way of staying with my current company, wouldnt want to relocate 100% and sell my house down here. As i do shift work would consider renting a room or cheap studio and travelling back in days off.......are the rental prices that much cheaper in Manchester and any recommendations on good or bad areas? The job would be in the Trafford Park area.

Firstly, Manchester's a great place to live and there are quite a few Brighton fans around.
As for recommendations - it depends what sort of area you want. Chorlton is reasonably close to Trafford Park - but like all trendy places a bit more expensive. Sale has quite a bit going for it these days - just the other side of the M60 from Trafford Park. Salford is very close but you have to be careful which side of the tram tracks you are. Also, the recent move by the BBC has hiked up prices. Also, the City Centre is a good option for flats to rent - you want to be south of the city for Trafford Park - but not Moss Side as already mentioned! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here