Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For those exiled to the North among us.......

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Nail on head - I can't stand the <insert place name> is a sh*t hole. Everywhere has something to offer - South Wales might not have the culture and style of Brighton, but fun me the people are lot more down to earth, and you've got fantastic countryside all around you..... Personally, I love the view across Port Talbot and Swansea Bay as you come round the corner on the M4, it's such and interesting mix of industry/sea/hills etc..

Your son is just lucky to be near the peaks!!

You are so right about the countryside and views etc, that said many parts of Great Britain have some of the finest views etc, sadly we don't have the weather to go with it :(

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Surely the traffic thing is more of a rural/urban divide, rather than a north/south thing. I live in Manchester and can confirm that traffic is as much a problem, to the extent that I plan my work day around trying to avoid the roads between 5-6pm.

Sure rush hour in the cities is busy but, for example, if I go to a gig in Manchester I can drive in an hour, usually park outside the venue, and then drive home again in the same time. Try doing that in London.

I drive to Liverpool to work, it is 37 miles and takes an hour door to door whereas when I commuted to London from Kent it was over two hours on the train and driving just not an option.

When going to the Amex from home traffic is fine until I get to the M25 then a nightmare usually.

There are just too many people in the South East.

GYM

Jan 4, 2010
Leeds
Isn't it wierd how we all have differances of opinions, I have visited Leeds on quite a few occasions, football being the main reason, and i can confirm my highlight of Leeds is meeting Hiney in the kazi at Elland Road!! personally I have found people around there to be rude and not very friendly at all!! quite strange when i speak so highly of Sheffield which is not a million miles away, but there again you say the same about Halifax which is very close by.

You have spealt Chromosome correctly, but it might have been an idea to have checked it out and been confident prior to accusing others of being completely inbred :lol: :lol:

Fair comments really. If you judge Leeds on elland road and football I would agree with you.

Rugby is where it's at for Leeds.

I worked in Halifax for a year and hated every min of it.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Its f***ing GRIMsby up north , so much so that R M Taylor has gone up market and moved to Cleethorpes , snobby bastard. :lolol:

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
A much better pint of bitter with a decent head oop here! I live near the Black Sheep brewery and it is a superb pint. I can't be doing with a pint (of bitter) with 3 bubbles on top.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Been in Cheshire/Lancs/Yorks for over 40 years.

Good points:
Prices everywhere
Getting about - road systems and Manchester trains/trams/buses (except M6 and current M62 past Leeds). We have £11 fixed taxi fare to Manchester Airport 11 miles away.
Shopping - even though I hate it, there are these huge enclosed shopping malls (Trafford & Meadowhall) that are easily accessible and open till late so you can do all your shopping after work.
Friendly - Lancs and South Yorks more than most. Even though it was a culture shock in Sheffield to be affectionately called 'duck and 'luv' by some hairy-arsed middle-aged bloke.
Beer
Loyalty to your roots - exiles are probably more loyal/proud of birthplace than those still living locally.

Bad points:
Weather
Too far from Brighton.
Even after all this time, swinging off the M25 onto the M23 to face Brighton makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and then passing the Pylons - lump in the throat time. You can take the boy out of Brighton.............

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
I may have the possibility of a job in Manchester and it could be the only way of staying with my current company, wouldnt want to relocate 100% and sell my house down here. As i do shift work would consider renting a room or cheap studio and travelling back in days off.......are the rental prices that much cheaper in Manchester and any recommendations on good or bad areas? The job would be in the Trafford Park area.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I may have the possibility of a job in Manchester and it could be the only way of staying with my current company, wouldnt want to relocate 100% and sell my house down here. As i do shift work would consider renting a room or cheap studio and travelling back in days off.......are the rental prices that much cheaper in Manchester and any recommendations on good or bad areas? The job would be in the Trafford Park area.

Similar situation [sort of] to where I was 10 years ago.
I kept my place in Burgess Hill and rented it out - called a let-to-buy - and bought a place up here too [house price inflation at that time was obviously a big factor in this decision]. If you think the prices are bottomed out now, might be an idea to do the same, as renting is dead money as a tenant. But good for landlords esp while the mortgage rate is still so low .... just keep your eye on capital gains tax as one of them [your choice] will be liable.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
I love living in Cowfold up north beyond the downs hehe

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
North of Watford,so I guess I qualify.My 3-bedroom Victorian house cost me £40k,night life is brilliant,Bull Ring/Merry Hill great for shopping,airport just a couple of miles away,people are friendlier (a lot of Sussex people seem to be so far up their own backsides they can do their own dental exams),brilliant transport network,great hospitals,etc etc.Just no Amex

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

FFS don't sell your house , rent it out to cover the mortgage and rent a nice flat in Manchester because BTL investors ploughed in and burnt their fingers buying off plan in new apartment blocks ignoring the rules of supply and demand.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Best thing about living up North is the stench from Croydon cant reach this far :)

Worst thing is there seems to be a lot more racially motivated tension in the area and the likes of George Galloway do nothing to help integrate communities together

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sure rush hour in the cities is busy but, for example, if I go to a gig in Manchester I can drive in an hour, usually park outside the venue, and then drive home again in the same time. Try doing that in London.

But that's nothing to do with any north-south issues, it's simple logistics. London has 7 million occupants, Manchester about half a million.

That's like comparing the traffic in Brighton to that of Hassocks.

Just as there is no such bird as a seagull, there is no such place as the north. Every town, city and village has its own characteristics. In my experience, the north of England is as diverse as the south, the midlands, the east, the south west and Wales. There aren't many places that I don't enjoy visiting - everywhere is quirky, and all the better for it.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Isn't it wierd how we all have differances of opinions, I have visited Leeds on quite a few occasions, football being the main reason, and i can confirm my highlight of Leeds is meeting Hiney in the kazi at Elland Road!! personally I have found people around there to be rude and not very friendly at all!! quite strange when i speak so highly of Sheffield which is not a million miles away, but there again you say the same about Halifax which is very close by.

Thats the difference, you also know Sheffield socially. Take the football day out of Leeds and it is a great place, in a great location, with good people.
Whilst Sheffield is not a million miles away, it may as well be Brighton and Croydon, and Leeds is not Croydon :)

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
We live about 7 miles from Trafford Park in a nice area .....quite reasonable to buy and to rent. Irlam isn't far from Trafford Park and that's ok. Danger would be that you might like Manchester too much after a while. You'd be no distance from the Trafford centre or Manchester City centre with all it's up market shops, restaurants, clubs etc. The only problem in that part of the city is that they are mainly manure fans.still u get used to them after a while and it's so easy to take the piss, especially when you support the mighty BHA. PM me if you want further info.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here