Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For those exiled to the North among us.......

arkan

Jan 26, 2010
Sittingbourne
Prices on pretty much anything.
Though i lived in a right shitty area in manchester i dont think anyone would dismiss paying £45 per week in a 5 bedroom house with bills included.
It wasnt a palace, but ive lived in worse (down south)

And in general people are friendlier, at first i didnt really like just random people talking to me like im their best friend at bus stops or in shops, just because i was used to the general indifference/hostility of people in London. But after i got used to it i found it rather endearing.

However what we think of 'grim' areas in the south, i dont know redhill or croydon for example, pales against towns like Burnley or Rochdale which are like going into one of the levels of dantes inferno

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
Of all things, sunrises.
Admittedly we haven't had many this year, but last year they were regularly spectacular compared to Sussex.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Prices on pretty much anything.
Though i lived in a right shitty area in manchester i dont think anyone would dismiss paying £45 per week in a 5 bedroom house with bills included.
It wasnt a palace, but ive lived in worse (down south)

And in general people are friendlier, at first i didnt really like just random people talking to me like im their best friend at bus stops or in shops, just because i was used to the general indifference/hostility of people in London. But after i got used to it i found it rather endearing.

However what we think of 'grim' areas in the south, i dont know redhill or croydon for example, pales against towns like Burnley or Rochdale which are like going into one of the levels of dantes inferno

Rochdale is where my partner comes from - we still have to go there to visit family - it really is one of the most depressing places I've ever been to!!!!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I briefly lived in Rotherham for a few months in my youth and apart from the weather (which always seemed to be much worse than in the south) the one thing that really struck me was the sheer number of highly atractive women around (yup, even in Rotherham!). I know this is partly to do with population density (i.e. far more people around full stop) but I'm still impressed by this on my occassional forays up there to this day!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The people being much friendlier thing is, in my experience, bollocks. People are friendly up here, but they're just as friendly down south. The reason that the south gets an unfair rep for being unfriendly is that a lot of northerner's only experience of it is from visiting London.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Living in Scotland and having worked,travelled and frequented the Norf of Engerland a lot, I can quite justifyably say that mainland Great Britain is a 'Sh!t Sandwich', with a little bit of side salad called Walessss.

TNBA

TTF

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
I was born in North Yorkshire and lived there until i was 7, had some great times up there and everything seems to be done at a slower pace.

If you get a chance pop in to a little called Bedale (where i grew up) and see if the antiques auction is still on on a Sunday. Stinks of wet dogs and Barbour jacket wax but i used to love it. Then pub after obviously....

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Couple of positives immediately spring to mind.

I've been here over ten years now and have never met a palace fan.

When I drive anywhere I have a pretty good idea when I am going to arrive as I am not stuck in traffic jams.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

When I drive anywhere I have a pretty good idea when I am going to arrive as I am not stuck in traffic jams.

Surely the traffic thing is more of a rural/urban divide, rather than a north/south thing. I live in Manchester and can confirm that traffic is as much a problem, to the extent that I plan my work day around trying to avoid the roads between 5-6pm.

Yorkshire-Seagull

Feb 11, 2008
Couple of bad things - when I wear the home shirt, a lot of people think i'm a Sheffield Wednesday fan. Also, it's a git of a round trip for a match at the AMEX.

However, I wouldn't change it. I live in a lovely little village outside of Leeds, and it's quiet, peaceful and friendly. During the Jubilee, the locals all had a massive street party, and we now chat to loads of people.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007

Strangely enough, there's a fellow who walks his dog on our seafront wearing his Crystal Palace jacket. Pleasant chap, Sunderland born, but lived a few years of his childhood in Croydon, and is a very keen Palace fan as a result. I've had a couple of interesting conversations about football with him, he has no anti-Brighton feelings and was very praising of The AMEX. I'm afraid I've never met a Brighton fan in my life.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Lived in Yorkshire for 5 years now and enjoying what I consider my perfect work/life balance. Couldn't contemplate living anywhere else now.

Only downsides are its a bit of a trek down to Sussex and Bath to see the folks and sport.
(and the driving standards seem appalling up here, although thats maybe everywhere these days?)

GYM

Jan 4, 2010
Leeds
I have worked a lot in Halifax and Leeds, its not the nicest place, and the people are very insular, probably my least favourite part of England

Halifax is one chromosome (spelling) from being completely inbred.

Leeds on the other hand is a great city.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
My son lives in Sheffield and has done for over 8 years now, so it does cause us to go there a few times a year, I have to say everyone is always very polite and in all the pubs etc we are always made very welcome.......personally I think there is good and bad in everywhere, and in the main most will support where they either live now or came from, it's human nature to do so!

Some people slag off South Wales, we have been here 27 years, personally I think it's a great place to live (apart from when they beat us at Rugby!!!!)

Like many who moved away from Brighton / sussex many years ago, I would love to move back there, but the move would be at such a cost, and with the currant economic climate it is far from viable! and anyway, it does make it far more fun visiting Brighton when you don't live there.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Halifax is one chromosome (spelling) from being completely inbred.

Leeds on the other hand is a great city.

Isn't it wierd how we all have differances of opinions, I have visited Leeds on quite a few occasions, football being the main reason, and i can confirm my highlight of Leeds is meeting Hiney in the kazi at Elland Road!! personally I have found people around there to be rude and not very friendly at all!! quite strange when i speak so highly of Sheffield which is not a million miles away, but there again you say the same about Halifax which is very close by.

You have spealt Chromosome correctly, but it might have been an idea to have checked it out and been confident prior to accusing others of being completely inbred :lol: :lol:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I live in the Midlands (Black Country), but I'll go anyway...

Being able to afford a decent house. The same money would only get me a flat in Sussex. Oh, and when I am driving home, the motorway signs to 'THE SOUTH'.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
My son lives in Sheffield and has done for over 8 years now, so it does cause us to go there a few times a year, I have to say everyone is always very polite and in all the pubs etc we are always made very welcome.......personally I think there is good and bad in everywhere, and in the main most will support where they either live now or came from, it's human nature to do so!

Some people slag off South Wales, we have been here 27 years, personally I think it's a great place to live (apart from when they beat us at Rugby!!!!)

Nail on head - I can't stand the <insert place name> is a sh*t hole. Everywhere has something to offer - South Wales might not have the culture and style of Brighton, but fun me the people are lot more down to earth, and you've got fantastic countryside all around you..... Personally, I love the view across Port Talbot and Swansea Bay as you come round the corner on the M4, it's such and interesting mix of industry/sea/hills etc..

Your son is just lucky to be near the peaks!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here