Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For anti Fox Hunting People

wodge

Nov 15, 2009
It is absolute basic animal instinct, some people are confused about the habits of animals like foxes that will kill every hen in a hen house. They are not killing for fun, they are thinking ahead. A wild animal doesn't know where its next meal is coming from, and if it finds a glut of prey in one place, it makes sense to kill as many as it can while they're available. Given enough time, it would carry off and cache every chicken it killed.

I'm the same, on the rare occasions I have to help the missus with the shopping at Tesco's, I totally load up the trolley with everything I can get my hands on, beer, curry, non own label stuff, you just don't know when you will get the chance again.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I couldn't see anything in the article that said a fox was definitely to blame. Even if it was a fox the fact this has made the news demonstrates how rare such attacks are doesn't it?

Other than the mother saying she saw the fox in the room with a bloody child who now has a bite marks?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I couldn't see anything in the article that said a fox was definitely to blame. Even if it was a fox the fact this has made the news demonstrates how rare such attacks are doesn't it?

That occurred to me as well but there again, I live in a fairly rural area and foxes seem to have little fear or humans. They seldom run away when they see you.

Other than the mother saying she saw the fox in the room with a bloody child who now has a bite marks?

That's just her word though isn't it?
I'm suspicious of this - wonder if there are any dogs in the family.
The fox would have had to bite one twin, move to the next cot and then bite the other.
Seems very odd behaviour.
And surely you'd hear something going on via the baby monitor and check it out before the second twin got attacked?

More to this one than meets the eye I reckon.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

I was all set to post an "I'll get my coat comment", but I've reread it and I still can't see this. Maybe we are reading different stories or I need some new specs.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes, seeing the fox is just her word. But we have a fox on the premises, found in one of the traps.

And I see now that thing about bite marks was a second incident in kent.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Foxes are wild they need to find food thats obvious:facepalm:
Just because they attack humans once every 10 years is dosen't mean you should cull foxes:US:

Same old media bullshit

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The most important point, which always seems to be forgotten, is that fox hunting does NOTHING to control fox populations. When the hunts are in full swing they kill something like 20,000 out of 60,000,000 foxes per year. To say they're controlling fox populations is utter bollocks.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
They've amended the story now so it actually mentions someone seeing the fox. Can we be completely sure it wasn't a wolf that attacked the kids, the brave fox fought off the wolf and was then checking they were okay? Have the BBC actuallly reported a parable?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
The most important point, which always seems to be forgotten, is that fox hunting does NOTHING to control fox populations. When the hunts are in full swing they kill something like 20,000 out of 60,000,000 foxes per year. To say they're controlling fox populations is utter bollocks.

60 million foxes? I'd never have guessed they were that high in population.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Ah - The old they kill for fun argument, give me one example of this being proven. This is not fact.

really? there seems to be a very obvious peice of evidence that they dont just attack for food...

It is absolute basic animal instinct, some people are confused about the habits of animals like foxes that will kill every hen in a hen house. They are not killing for fun, they are thinking ahead. A wild animal doesn't know where its next meal is coming from, and if it finds a glut of prey in one place, it makes sense to kill as many as it can while they're available. Given enough time, it would carry off and cache every chicken it killed.

a nice little myth. while "for fun" is too far, it is frenzied killing, not calculated to plan ahead, which would require greater intelligence than animals have. they might go back and recover a couple but by no means all. My Unlce a who farms sheep tells me when preying on lambs they will kill a few but only take one.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
...When the hunts are in full swing they kill something like 20,000 out of 60,000,000 foxes per year. To say they're controlling fox populations is utter bollocks.

erm, some extra 0's in there. quite right though that its a very poor method of control. a regular shooting and trapping approach is far more effective and those places with real fox problems that dont entertain the hunt will usually employ a marksman to shoot them instead.

as for the urban fox, they are becoming very docile and not at all fearfull of humans, unlike country foxes which will give you a wide birth. i see more foxes in a week in London than i would have in a year in the countryside.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
erm, some extra 0's in there. quite right though that its a very poor method of control. a regular shooting and trapping approach is far more effective and those places with real fox problems that dont entertain the hunt will usually employ a marksman to shoot them instead.

as for the urban fox, they are becoming very docile and not at all fearfull of humans, unlike country foxes which will give you a wide birth. i see more foxes in a week in London than i would have in a year in the countryside.

Pretty sure my figures are moreor less correct.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Pretty sure my figures are moreor less correct.

there are a shade over 60 million *people* in the UK. there is not a fox for every mand woman and child.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't have a cat flap, so have to open the door to let my cat out. He wanted to go out late one evening, so I opened the door, he saw a fox run up the street then my cat just ran up and jumped up on my wardrobe (his frequent sleeping place).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here