Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For anti Fox Hunting People

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
See this is the crux of the issue with most people. They want to make it a class war.

Yes, I couldn't agree more. I don't take sides as I have said already but it's clear from a lot of the posts here that you are correct. What's so funny about this is that as I live in an area where there are a lot of horses (if I look out my window I can see half a dozen) but just about all the riders I know (some of whom used to hunt) are as common as muck. Certainly they don't fit the stereotype of chinless wonders perceived by many.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Spot on for me. If things are done humanely then I'm not happy about it but I can deal with it, chasing after something until it is tired and then tearing it up is absolutely revolting, and how anyone can do it is beyond me.

Anyone as said above, one fox doing something disgusting should not ruin the reputation of foxes.

To be fair if you have ever seen a rabbit hutch or a hen house after a visit from a fox you'll see that whilst it only wants one for food it will still rip the others to shreds.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
To be fair if you have ever seen a rabbit hutch or a hen house after a visit from a fox you'll see that whilst it only wants one for food it will still rip the others to shreds.

It is absolute basic animal instinct, some people are confused about the habits of animals like foxes that will kill every hen in a hen house. They are not killing for fun, they are thinking ahead. A wild animal doesn't know where its next meal is coming from, and if it finds a glut of prey in one place, it makes sense to kill as many as it can while they're available. Given enough time, it would carry off and cache every chicken it killed.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

That's not strictly true though. Hasn't it been shown that what the fox is doing is killing what's there so that it can come back and collect the rest later but what happens is the coup or hutch just gets cleared up by the humans who then perceive it is killing for fun.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It is absolute basic animal instinct, some people are confused about the habits of animals like foxes that will kill every hen in a hen house. They are not killing for fun, they are thinking ahead. A wild animal doesn't know where its next meal is coming from, and if it finds a glut of prey in one place, it makes sense to kill as many as it can while they're available. Given enough time, it would carry off and cache every chicken it killed.

And that makes it okay ? You could argue it's equally true that the hounds do the same for the same reason. I would be the first to say that fox hunting is not a good way of keeping the fox population down (especially as so many of them live in cities now) but shooting them is not totally effective and poison will kill other animals such as badgers.

Anyway I would say that the origin of this thread was the problem with foxes in town. They are vermin. I used to live in Worthing where the council insisted that you put your rubbish in plastic bags as against metal bins. I wonder who it was who used to rip open bags that were left out overnight for early morning collection.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
That's not strictly true though. Hasn't it been shown that what the fox is doing is killing what's there so that it can come back and collect the rest later but what happens is the coup or hutch just gets cleared up by the humans who then perceive it is killing for fun.

I didn't say they did it for fun, whatever the reason it still happens. Cats actually do like to torture their prey before killing it, they can be very nasty.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
There are some people who 'follow' the hunt who are not, how shall we say..upper class...some of them that is...... others that are not of the upper classes at hunts are called...employees.
How many times have you seen/heard TV or Radio interview with ANY hunt and thought to yourself, wow, he doesnt sound like a (for want of a better description) 'chinless wonder' ?
Hunt is ridiculous.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
f*** it it's a fox - alive or dead i don't give a shit about it. Quite happy to kill them myself if i could. And cats.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
There are some people who 'follow' the hunt who are not, how shall we say..upper class...some of them that is...... others that are not of the upper classes at hunts are called...employees.
How many times have you seen/heard TV or Radio interview with ANY hunt and thought to yourself, wow, he doesnt sound like a (for want of a better description) 'chinless wonder' ?
Hunt is ridiculous.

Whatever the rights or wrongs of the matter many people who 'ride to hunt' are not public school educated. A lot of non public school educated people (for want of a more suitable description) also shoot game or fish. It's a matter of degree as all participants would still describe their actions as 'sport'.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
And that makes it okay ? You could argue it's equally true that the hounds do the same for the same reason. I would be the first to say that fox hunting is not a good way of keeping the fox population down (especially as so many of them live in cities now) but shooting them is not totally effective and poison will kill other animals such as badgers.

Anyway I would say that the origin of this thread was the problem with foxes in town. They are vermin. I used to live in Worthing where the council insisted that you put your rubbish in plastic bags as against metal bins. I wonder who it was who used to rip open bags that were left out overnight for early morning collection.

Hounds do not do it for the same reason, they do it because they are trained to hate foxes, chase them until they can no longer run and then rip them into a thousand small pieces. Fact is, foxes kill because they need to eat. The hounds kill because they are manufactured to do so.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Hounds do not do it for the same reason, they do it because they are trained to hate foxes, chase them until they can no longer run and then rip them into a thousand small pieces. Fact is, foxes kill because they need to eat. The hounds kill because they are manufactured to do so.

Semantics, they both kill. And as I say, this is not supposed to be a pro or anti fox hunting thread.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Absolutely correct. Foxes do not kill for fun it's a myth.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Semantics, they both kill. And as I say, this is not supposed to be a pro or anti fox hunting thread.

No it's not (semantics). You said that the hounds kill for the same reason, that reason was animal instinct.

Wizard was highlighting that the hounds don't kill out of instinct, they are trained to.

That's an actual difference, not semantics.

EDIT: And the title of the thread is "for the anti-fox hunting people" and your point is that foxes aren't so cute and cuddly (as if that was why people are against it). How can you then say this isn't meant to be a pro or anti fox hunting thread?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
No it's not (semantics). You said that the hounds kill for the same reason, that reason was animal instinct.

Wizard was highlighting that the hounds don't kill out of instinct, they are trained to.

That's an actual difference, not semantics.

EDIT: And the title of the thread is "for the anti-fox hunting people" and your point is that foxes aren't so cute and cuddly (as if that was why people are against it). How can you then say this isn't meant to be a pro or anti fox hunting thread?

Actually it's trying to put a balance on the situation. Foxes are vermin but cuter than rats. We have chickens here but we also have a large dog that is happy to ignore the chickens but chase foxes. Chickens are pretty safe.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Surely it's a null point though, as fox hunting wouldn't occur through the streets of London?

I did say that, it was just that I was rather shocked at the attack. It's a bit strange that a fox would enter a house when adults were present (I assume they didn't leave the babies alone).

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I couldn't see anything in the article that said a fox was definitely to blame. Even if it was a fox the fact this has made the news demonstrates how rare such attacks are doesn't it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here