Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football's Guilty Pleasures

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Orange footballs in the snow

Gallery-24-Sport-AZ-Alkma-006.jpg

Is the Arse player about to kick a rouge white ball of the pitch!

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I love it when players taunt the crowd even if its the opposition players doing it to us adds a bit of spice to the game!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Yes, yes it is

How can you compare the way you see things with the way I see things when you presumably have no idea how I see it???

Your own vision of life is the only one you have: I had no idea I was short sighted until someone told me at about ten years old. Wouldn't have had a clue otherwise because I had nothing else to compare it with. I don't know what other people see (well I do as I'm only short sighted in one eye, but if I had impaired vision in both, presumably I wouldn't have any concept of what perfect vision is).

Is this getting a bit deep for a Friday night? :lolol:

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I love a good old SLIDE TACKLE! Especially when it rains and the player making the tackle carries on sliding for a bit and the other player is airborne!

I also love a good headed goal and a THUNDERBOLT from MILES away into the top corner takes some beating!

I just love the game!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I rather enjoy seeing the artistic results of the groundmans mower. I appreciate a good set of stripes - but circles around the centre circle - quality.

Have you noticed that they are exactly 6 yards wide at Withdean. Very useful for estimating the distance of a long range shot or whether a wall is back far enough.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
-your team being awarded a throw-in/free kick when the entire crowd knows it should have gone to the other team. Then you get that sort of guilty rumbling noise that goes around the crowd as everyone goes "ahem", looks at the floor and laughs quietly as though worried the referee might hear you and change his mind.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Witty banter - a shout that has the crowd laughing for a while afterwards.

I can remember one evening game at the Goldstone; the game was dire at the beginning and plunged downhill from there. In a quiet moment, a plaintive voice from the East Stand - heard all over the ground - shouted "Aren't we having any football tonight, then?"

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
Witty banter - a shout that has the crowd laughing for a while afterwards.

My favourite was at Gillingham when the opposing goalkeeper (can't remember now which team) was wearing a hooped yellow and black top. The crowd behind the goal started to make a buzzing noise, the 'keeper sportingly flapped his arms' and then someone shouted "What a waste of honey"!

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
My favourite was at Gillingham when the opposing goalkeeper (can't remember now which team) was wearing a hooped yellow and black top. The crowd behind the goal started to make a buzzing noise, the 'keeper sportingly flapped his arms' and then someone shouted "What a waste of honey"!

Slaughtering the opposition keeper at the Goldstone especially if they were a fat bastard was great fun
On a separate point used to love wearing my Brighton sunhat, wore it everywhere. Wore it in bed too as it meant i didnt have to wash/brush my hair in the morning as wearing the hat overnight kept my barnet in reasonable kilter. Well pissed off when got a cigarette burn in it one day and had to burn a identical hole on the opposite side of the hat to make it look not obvious

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
My love for Ipswich Town circa 1980-82. The players, the shirts, the manager, the style of football, the fairytale of a small club regularly competing for honours and in European competition.

If it weren't for the Albion, I'm sure I'd have been an Ipswich supporter.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

Now that was genuinely funny!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Taking the piss mercilessly out of an opposition player (in good humour).

Once at the Goldstone, against Brizzul Rovers I think, an attack by them on our goal at the North Stand end, during a quiet spell in the tand, a Brizzul player shouted "Handball" in a very high pitched voice. Everyone in the stand heard this squeeky call, and for the rest of the game, whenever the ball came into our box we were all squeeking at the top of our voices "Handball". I think it totally sapped his confidence that day, and whislt juvenile, it was most amusing.

Likewise when we play any team with the Wanker in it. You know he will score, you know he will annoy us, and he is man enough to take it, but I wonder what his teamates make of it.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I loved my silky (blue one side/red the other) retro scarf. Sadly it got thrown out somewhere along the line. Would love to own one again. All I have left of it is a photo of the scarf in the background of a portrait snap. :cry:

Perversely, I quite enjoy watching the opposing fans going mental if they have just scored. Usually only works for the away end. The diehards, rammed into a little stand.

This.

Having a good old swear-fest is also good.

Because i get the train to Withdean, I love it when you get off the path and on to the road just where its blocked, after comming across the train line, hearing the dull roar of everyone in the ground and waiting to go in. Saturday games are particularly good for this, all the better if its sunny, like Harty's testimonial and the season opener were fantastic for the dull roar.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
My love for Ipswich Town circa 1980-82. The players, the shirts, the manager, the style of football, the fairytale of a small club regularly competing for honours and in European competition.

If it weren't for the Albion, I'm sure I'd have been an Ipswich supporter.
same here, we lived there at the time and went every week - unless it was Man Utd or Liverpool then I got left at home - happy days those....

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
When a player smashes the ball into the net just after somebody has scored to reiterate and empasise that there's been a goal.

Oh, and VVV Venlo in the Dutch league, just because I love their name!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here