Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football's Guilty Pleasures

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
seriously? Thats amazing. bollocks to not being able to be a fighter pilot if that is the sort of thrill you are rewarded with on the flip side.

I desparately wanted to follow my Fathers footsteps into the RAF and do just that, but it was not to be. Also rules out train driving, electrical work, plumbing, air support services (ATC etc).

So I got a job in corporate graphics with a Pantone Swatch and Adobe Illustrator. I only occasionally sell signs in the wrong colour!!!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Orange footballs in the snow

Gallery-24-Sport-AZ-Alkma-006.jpg

CC2

Nov 9, 2008
Our youngest is very red/brown colour blind, he too wanted to join the RAF but was told it was basically a non starter.
Worryingly, the RAF careers service came up with a list of jobs that people with colour blindness could do - one of them was a chef. Now considering my son has to ask when something is cooked because he can't tell the colour, I would have been very worried about a major outbreak of food poisoning within the services had he joined up :lolol:

I desparately wanted to follow my Fathers footsteps into the RAF and do just that, but it was not to be. Also rules out train driving, electrical work, plumbing, air support services (ATC etc).

So I got a job in corporate graphics with a Pantone Swatch and Adobe Illustrator. I only occasionally sell signs in the wrong colour!!!

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
The smell of a newly lit cigarette outdoors instantly takes me back to the Goldstone.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Camera angles and pitch sizes. I won't watch a match on tv at Stanford bridge or upton park as the camara angle is too flat. I liked wembleys high up camara but they have change that now also.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Footballers' HAIR. I'm always noticing stupid haircuts on the away team and talking about them.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

what does your avatar look like to you then phil out of interest?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
- one of them was a chef. Now considering my son has to ask when something is cooked because he can't tell the colour, I would have been very worried about a major outbreak of food poisoning within the services had he joined up :lolol:

Ha ha, I am an avid amateur chef/cook, one of my passions, and yes, I have to ask Superwife all the time if things are cooked. I really can't stand overcooked food, so things like chicken are quite difficult to gauge, without the missus assistance.

what does your avatar look like to you then phil out of interest?

Ah, now that's the tough one, it looks multi coloured, just that I can't really tell all the colours by name. The only way I have found to describe it to someone who is not CB is this. Take some red cellophane, like you get on sweet wrappers (Roses etc) and flatten it out. The lay it over a multi colourerd image, like my avatar for example. What happens is, the red in the cellophane filters out all the items with red in, so you can't tell all the colours, you can see there are colours there, but you can't work out what is what. That's not to say I see everything with a red background, but I can't distringuish the colour red properly.

If you took an image into Photoshop and knocked back the red colours, you'll find the browns start to look green, purple looks blue, pink looks grey.

The way my folks established I was colourblind was when I came home from nursery school aged 4 or 5, when asked if I had a nice time I answered "yes, I sit next to a little green girl", she was a black girl, and to this day, black people look green to me.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
talking of jocko contributions to football - square goalposts. the white dogshit of football.

I bought a "silk" scarf when they first came out in 1972, I think. It cost 65p and I loved the thing, especially the smell of it. I had no bicycle at the time and kids from today's era will be astonished to read that it was my most prized possession (apart from Snowball, my bunny rabbit).

Last edited:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Phil you are now the official NSC spokesman for all issues colour related.

Attachments

• children70s_swap_shop_gal.jpg
    children70s_swap_shop_gal.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 123

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
Finding a sunny spot at around 2.15 on the northstand and sitting down to read the programe with a cup of tea - crazy crazy days

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can categorically guarantee you, I am NOT GOOD WITH COLOURS :laugh:

You can take the man out of Brighton :lolol:

My guilty pleasure would be punch-ups on the pitch.

Especially when you've got a TV commentator coming out with self-righteous statements such as "Oh dear oh dear, we really don't want to see this sort of thing on the pitch, do we"

YES, YES WE DO. There is absolutely nothing that breathes life into a mediocre game like a good twenty-man outbreak of handbags (they're never real fights in football games are they? Men would be utterly embarrassed to be seen "fighting" like that outside a kebab shop on a Friday night).

Other small pleasures of football include:

-fat physios lumbering on to the field (I miss Malcolm Stuart)

-managers getting sent off

-your team being awarded a throw-in/free kick when the entire crowd knows it should have gone to the other team. Then you get that sort of guilty rumbling noise that goes around the crowd as everyone goes "ahem", looks at the floor and laughs quietly as though worried the referee might hear you and change his mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here