Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football's Guilty Pleasures

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Seeing the ref brandish a red card - two yellows doesn't have the same effect. It's one of those moments that you're either shocked by or cheer as if you've just scored a goal. A sending off always livens up a poor game and is a good debate in the pub post-match.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Those balls were the official Football League ball but befor ethe days of conformity they became an option rather than mandated for clubs. The person who said they were launched for a League Cup final are correct although I think (and could be very wrong) that they were first used when the League Cup became the Milk Cup the day before the final when the Milk Marketing Board announced their sponsorship. They'd obviously known for a while though as they'd managed to produce a trophy that was a replica 80s style milk bottle with a footballer on top

images

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Lets not ignore the elephant in the room

A good old crowd disturbance takes some beating.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I loved my silky (blue one side/red the other) retro scarf. Sadly it got thrown out somewhere along the line. Would love to own one again. All I have left of it is a photo of the scarf in the background of a portrait snap. :cry:

Perversely, I quite enjoy watching the opposing fans going mental if they have just scored. Usually only works for the away end. The diehards, rammed into a little stand.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Did anyone pin a football strip to the wall of their bedroom?

I clearly recall both the silky blue B'Cal. and red and white pinstripe Phoenix Brewery kits being pinned, with drawing pins, to my bedroom wall. I'm guessing they weren't current at the time, and we'd moved on, but I'm not certain of that.

My Wembley 83 flag was displayed similarly.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have something of a stadium fetish, so one of the highlights of ANY away trip for me is when I first clap eyes on the ground from the outside. Obviously the bigger and more famous the stadium, the better.

I don't mind telling you, was nursing a raging semi outside Villa Park the other week.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
One of mine is seeing a player in 'Old School' black Adidas boots with the white stripes round the correct way. I've spied a few players sporting such footwear recently - & it's like they're gallently thrusting 2 fingers up to the onslaught of garish 'soccer pump'. Jumpers for goalposts-type-scenes. :clap:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Seeing the ref brandish a red card - two yellows doesn't have the same effect. It's one of those moments that you're either shocked by or cheer as if you've just scored a goal. .

Ah, now, this is one for me too, with added spice. You see, I am colour blind, so when the ref pulls out the card I can't tell if it is red or yellow, so I have to wait for the crowds response to know if it is a red or not. Invariably, the player takes a couple of seconds to start walking, but the crowd response is instantaneous.

Now you lot, don't go trying to confuse my be cheering riotously next time a player against us gets a yellow, fooling me into thinking it's a red. :lolol:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Ah, now, this is one for me too, with added spice. You see, I am colour blind, so when the ref pulls out the card I can't tell if it is red or yellow, so I have to wait for the crowds response to know if it is a red or not. Invariably, the player takes a couple of seconds to start walking, but the crowd response is instantaneous.

Now you lot, don't go trying to confuse my be cheering riotously next time a player against us gets a yellow, fooling me into thinking it's a red. :lolol:

seriously? Thats amazing. bollocks to not being able to be a fighter pilot if that is the sort of thrill you are rewarded with on the flip side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here