Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football's Guilty Pleasures

Half Man Half Biscuit

Oct 10, 2003
Hove
Have you got any guilty pleasures when it comes to football? I have an unhealthy obsession with *cough* floodlights (I blame the Goldstone Ground for this), goal nets (see below) and the red and white panelled ball that Ipswich Town used to use in the 80's.

guiltypleasures.jpg

We're going to be disscusing said footballing guilty pleasures HERE today (Friday). Pop along for the ride if you've nothing better to do.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I remeber those balls as we lived up there then and went to watch a lot of the classic ITFC side games - best photo I could find of that damn elusive ball - the oh so underestimated wonder of Kevin Beatie.....

Attachments

• Kevin Beatie.jpg
    Kevin Beatie.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 507

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
not sure if this fits in with this thread but the smell of shit hot dogs stands at football, i love it, almost brings a tear to my eye and thats not the soggy onions.

D

Deleted User X18H

I believe that ball was called a Stuart Surridge.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The North Stand, Goldstone Ground. The only place in the world where I truly enjoyed the smell of cigarettes.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
I believe that ball was called a Stuart Surridge.

I heard a story about Clough asking SS for five grand in cash in order to use those balls in a televised cup quarter final - which SS declined.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Yes. Yes it was. Oh the memories, I had a plastic replica and it was pride and joy.

Amyone remeber Ipswich smashing 6 past Man U with that ball?
hell yeah, I think my old went to that on his own, wouldn't let me go 'cos the crowd would be too big....

Half Man Half Biscuit

Oct 10, 2003
Hove
hell yeah, I think my old went to that on his own, wouldn't let me go 'cos the crowd would be too big....

You can relive it here old chap:

Ipswich score 6 past Man Utd with SS ball. MMmm....

They also missed a couple of penalites in that match. The Ipswich keeper of that time (Paul Cooper) used to save spot kicks for fun around that time.

I had an email in this morning from a chap from Poland. It just said "Bayern Munich socks" :laugh:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think that guilty pleasures are really for the young. I used to love in my youth wearing a scarf to away games ( but wearing it under my coat when going to and coming away from a ground)...there was a certain danger with this..ie being spotted!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I heard a story about Clough asking SS for five grand in cash in order to use those balls in a televised cup quarter final - which SS declined.

I thought it first got an airing at the forest league cup final when chris woods made his name.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Mine is about 200 Brighton shirts, got the bug really when the first Skint Shirts came out, and have been adding to the collection since then. Still don't have a Bukta shirt :hint:

therunningbomb

therunningbomb
Feb 23, 2009
Hove
Definatly goal nets. I love a good goal net. I like Goal nets that are in thier team's colours. Southampton's nets are good, Wembley ones are not bad either. Fulhams on the other hand, are black, and you cant see them very well, I.E when you sit in a stand behind the goal, you cannot see the net, and i dont like that. Hopefully Falmer will have blue and white striped goal nets :p

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I seem to remember those SS balls being used at Southampton quite alot too. That is the club I associate those balls with.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Do Gullys Girls count as a guilty pleasure ? :blush:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here