Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football Association Challenge Cup First Round Draw ***Official thread***

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
..........and they can milk all the cliches about shit grounds............

View attachment 19374

It's a shame we have no postmen in our team, or this could be an FA Cup classic :lolol:

In fact this could be one of the first recorded instances of a non league team going to a league team in the FA Cup and with 100% honesty being able to sing songs about shit grounds.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that having been exposed by Northampton and Orient in the other cups Gus will select a side that is nearly full strength and just make changes for slight injuries and possible suspensions. In an ideal world Elphick needs to get his 5th booking in the game before the cup tie so that he serves his suspension then. Would like him to play Sandaza and Adjestein (sp) up front and Baz wide with Murray Barnes and Elliott on the bench in case we are getting beat and need a goal.

Sep 1, 2010
It's a shame we have no postmen in our team, or this could be an FA Cup classic :lolol:

In fact this could be one of the first recorded instances of a non league team going to a league team in the FA Cup and with 100% honesty being able to sing songs about shit grounds.

We have a shit ground, and we have a Cook and a Painter in our team HOW MUCH NON LEAGUE CAN WE BE:p

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We have a shit ground, and we have a Cook and a Painter in our team HOW MUCH NON LEAGUE CAN WE BE:p

And a Smith, while we're on occupational names.

Anyone know what a Dicker is? :jester:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I think that having been exposed by Northampton and Orient in the other cups Gus will select a side that is nearly full strength and just make changes for slight injuries and possible suspensions. In an ideal world Elphick needs to get his 5th booking in the game before the cup tie so that he serves his suspension then. Would like him to play Sandaza and Adjestein (sp) up front and Baz wide with Murray Barnes and Elliott on the bench in case we are getting beat and need a goal.
We did put out a full team against Orient, but treated it as a training session.

If you're not going to give fringe/young/development players a game against a non league side, and not even a good non league side, at home then there's no point having them.

Anyone know what a Dicker is? :jester:

Yep. Someone who attends to dykes.

Surname Database: Dicker Last Name Origin

Last name: Dicker

Recorded in many forms including Dicker, Digger, Diggar, and the occupational Digman, Dignam, Dignan, Dignum, and probably others as well, the surname is medieval English. It is also occupational and possibly residential for one who maintained a 'dyke' or 'ditch', a medieval ditch being a canalised river. This was a position of some importance and it is interesting to see that all the early recordings are to be found in the East Anglian, often known as the 'Fen Country', where the upkeep of the dykes was of paramount importance. Examples of the early recordings include: John Dikeman of Suffolk in the 1206 Curia Regis rolls of that county and Richard le Diker of Somerset in the Hundred Rolls of 1327. Later examples taken from the surviving registers of the diocese of Greater London include: John Diggar, a witness at the church known as St Benet Fink in the old city of London on June 7th 1652, Mary Digger, who married John Redding at the famous church of St. Mary le Bone, on February 16th 1687 and Bridget Dignam, who married Thomas Shaw at St Georges chapel, Hanover Square, Westminster, on July 1st 1766. The first known recording in any spelling is believed to be that of Richard Dikeman, in 'Curia regis' rolls of the city of Lincoln in the year 1206. This was during the reign of King John of England, 1199 - 1216. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
when are the Live fixtures announced? I can se the BBC lapping up "Highest ranked team v non-league"

Dalef65

Oct 12, 2010
when are the Live fixtures announced? I can se the BBC lapping up "Highest ranked team v non-league"
Sorry to be picky,but the FA Cup is not on the Beeb its on ITV,and its usually

non-league(at home)vs.highest ranked league team that TV goes for...

I know what you mean though....

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
aahh I thought the Beeb had a game or two aswell, or is that in the later stages?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
you're right!

"However ESPN have acquired live FA Cup football TV rights for the next 4 seasons, including live matches from the first round onwards with 1 exclusively live semi final and shared live coverage of the FA Cup Final."

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
As mentioned on the other thread, they only televise games where they think there's a reasonable chance of an upset, which usually means ones where the non-league team is at home.

We may well be highly ranked, but us against a non league team isn't going to capture the imagination of neutrals, therefore there's surely no chance of it being on TV.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The tie of the round for me (and surely for the media headline writers) must be in greater Manchester.

Rochdale v FC United of Manchester.

If that is not on TV I'll be amazed. It'll probably be the biggest crowd at Spotland for years.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The tie of the round for me (and surely for the media headline writers) must be in greater Manchester.

Rochdale v FC United of Manchester.

If that is not on TV I'll be amazed. It'll probably be the biggest crowd at Spotland for years.

It's the one I'd pick.

Have to say though that none of the ties float my boat as somewhere to go and watch on a non-partisan basis. Can't miss FA Cup first round day though so it's going to have to be the drive to Brighton and an overnight hotel stay with the missus spending a fortune round the shops while I watch the match. :lolol:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here