Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] FlyBe in trouble? (BBC report)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Or different aircraft.

It just seems odd to me that it can be different for passengers in other parts of the plane. I need to read up on it, as I feel the need to understand!

Edit:
OK. That didn’t take long. It’s just based on the floor space in the plane taken up by each passenger, which is an arbitrary measure rather than any scientific calculation.

It might work for making first class passengers pay more in offsetting (which is probably a good thing), but it fails my logic test!

You can of course fly EasyJet and be totally carbon neutral

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/19/business/easyjet-flights-carbon-neutral/index.html

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
They were also really anal about hand baggage weights and if my hand baggage was 11 kilos they’d make me lose a kilo to my hold baggage. I haven’t come across another airline like that. Only did it once though as it was both embarrassing and irritating to have to do this at check in.

Don't know about weight but I know that last year they became very tight on hand luggage size. Loads of people got caught our as their cabin bags may be okay on other airlines but the Flybe one is a bit smaller (like some other budget airlines). In their case, I can understand this to a degree as those planes only have small overhead bins and people were starting to take the mickey.

I wish other airlines would be as consistent on this, What some people get away with bringing on as hand luggage is a joke. On one easyJet flight back from Zurich, some woman had somehow managed to get a full sized suitcase past the gate staff and was complaining when the cabin crew said she couldn't bring it on. Nobody could be sure how it was missed as it was luminous pink.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Correct, the carbon footprint of the flight remains the same.

In fact, if no one flew first class, then each passenger's carbon footprint would go UP since there'd be a whole load of empty (fully-reclinable) seats on the plane. Each passenger's individual carbon footprint would only go down if each aircraft removed all premium seats and replaced them with their standard economy offering.

Imagine flying in The Residence on Ethiad? You'll be weighing in considerably higher than 6* an economy passenger...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtlF-6TnMuo

Cant help but think if all premium seats and recliners were removed and more seats and passengers squeezed onto the aircraft, this would result in a greater overall weight (more baggage and more seats) and the need for increased fuel to compensate for this and an increase in the carbon footprint of that particular flight.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Cant help but think if all premium seats and recliners were removed and more seats and passengers squeezed onto the aircraft, this would result in a greater overall weight (more baggage and more seats) and the need for increased fuel to compensate for this and an increase in the carbon footprint of that particular flight.

Of the individual flight, maybe, but they should then be able to reduce the number of flights (in theory).

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
She's probably against those that exercise their freedom and personal choice such that it causes harm to others, thereby restricting their freedom.

She is happy to have several children

She is happy to regularly fly long haul whilst attacking others who chose to fly.

She really is the biggest see you next and so on.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Of the individual flight, maybe, but they should then be able to reduce the number of flights (in theory).

Not convinced that would actually be the result ( theoretically) . Air Passenger numbers are increasing which is no surprise considering population is increasing. Airports are expanding to accommodate more passengers and more flights. The only way i can see a reduction in the number of flights apart from passengers being priced out of being able to afford them is reducing the number of available punters. And no one wants to talk about global population reduction.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Don't know about weight but I know that last year they became very tight on hand luggage size. Loads of people got caught our as their cabin bags may be okay on other airlines but the Flybe one is a bit smaller (like some other budget airlines). In their case, I can understand this to a degree as those planes only have small overhead bins and people were starting to take the mickey.

I wish other airlines would be as consistent on this, What some people get away with bringing on as hand luggage is a joke. On one easyJet flight back from Zurich, some woman had somehow managed to get a full sized suitcase past the gate staff and was complaining when the cabin crew said she couldn't bring it on. Nobody could be sure how it was missed as it was luminous pink.

BA certainly seem to have taken to turning a blind eye to their hand-baggage size limits. I am surprised seeing as they now charge for hold baggage and people are getting around it by taking all their shit onto the plane. Massive back packs and cases that struggle to be pulled down the aisle without banging into seats. BA now tell you to put smaller cases and bags under the seat and label them as such because full flights can’t stow everything in the overhead lockers.

The cheekiest feckers slip their bags into the Business class lockers as they pass to avoid the bun fight in economy.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Not convinced that would actually be the result ( theoretically) . Air Passenger numbers are increasing which is no surprise considering population is increasing. Airports are expanding to accommodate more passengers and more flights. The only way i can see a reduction in the number of flights apart from passengers being priced out of being able to afford them is reducing the number of available punters. And no one wants to talk about global population reduction.

More seats for the elites, I like it...

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
https://twitter.com/mollymep/status/1217762956005519360?s=21

That disgusting pig of a woman is trying her hardest to get Flybe out of business and thousands out of a job.

I think she is bitter given her imminent unemployment.

She can try all she wants. Competition laws within the EU are all over place. France owns a minority stake in Renault. Lufthansa's partially subsidised by the German state.

Also, the action contradicts her own economic ideology. She literally argues for market intervention.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
She can try all she wants. Competition laws within the EU are all over place. France owns a minority stake in Renault. Lufthansa's partially subsidised by the German state.

Also, the action contradicts her own economic ideology. She literally argues for market intervention.

In what way is Lufthansa partially subsidised by the German state? I wasn't aware of that

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

You’re right, Newsnight covered this earlier this week. State aid for ailing businesses is double our level as a % of GDP.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here