Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Florin Andone just tweeted training pics of himself

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The tackle was not THAT bad imo

I can't agree with that. He looked down at the guy's outstretched leg, plants his studs firmly on it and pressed down. If you were trying to break someone's leg, it's probably not a million miles off how to do it.

Just watched it again, see Solly March's reaction. It's a horrible challenge - much like Barton's on Kayal, it's not how you naturally move your feet unless you are intending specifically to hurt/injure.

(I'm not saying he shouldn't play for us again btw, I think he should.)

Last edited:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Have to admit, it would be epic if he does score on his comeback. He’ll probably get a red somehow as well.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I can't agree with that. He looked down at the guy's outstretched leg, plants his studs firmly on it and pressed down. If you were trying to break someone's leg, it's probably not a million miles off how to do it.

Just watched it again, see Solly March's reaction. It's a horrible challenge - much like Barton's on Kayal, it's not how you naturally move your feet unless you are intending specifically to hurt/injure.

Agree it's a horrible challenge, but I don't agree that he looked down the guy's leg. He jumped in and turned his back as he was jumping.
The stamping motion was to try and win the ball towards him and shield it. I've seen that type of motion in a lot of contested challenges tbh.
It's just normally the player is facing the opponent and can see where the ball is.
He got it wrong and it ended up being a reckless and dangerous challenge, but I don't think it was deliberate.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Agree it's a horrible challenge, but I don't agree that he looked down the guy's leg. He jumped in and turned his back as he was jumping.
The stamping motion was to try and win the ball towards him and shield it. I've seen that type of motion in a lot of contested challenges tbh.
It's just normally the player is facing the opponent and can see where the ball is.
He got it wrong and it ended up being a reckless and dangerous challenge, but I don't think it was deliberate.

I disagree - imagine his movement if you took the other player away - it would look bizarre and daft. Therefore, if he did it knowing the guy is there, it's very, very dangerous.

He was still facing Valery when he started the lunge.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I can't agree with that. He looked down at the guy's leg, plants his studs firmly on it and pressed down. If you were trying to break someone's leg, it's probably not a million miles off how to do it.

I think its a bit harsh to suggest that Andone knowingly looked down at the guys leg and intentionally stamped on it. Some bad challenges in football are premeditated where the player has set out to foul/injure his opponent. But more often the bad challenges are wreckless & dangerous, and worthy of a red card, not because they are premeditated, but because the player hasnt had the intelligence or forethought to see how his physical actions are going to pan out. & just gets the timing of it all wrong. If a player slides into a challenge for example he may have every intention of just making contact with the ball, but his momentum which is irreversible causes him to hit the player as well. I think its the latter with Andone's Southampton red card. He's gone to challenge for the ball, it looks to me like he trying to swivel his body to shield it from the Southampton player, but his over-eagerness to make the challenge & mistiming of it mixed with the opposition players movement means his foot ends up coming down on Valery's leg rather than the turf. It will have all happened in a flash to Andone, was a silly challenge, and 100% a red card, but to think he went into it with intention of breaking the guys leg is an accusation we cant make. Hopefully he's learnt from this and we see him scoring goals again soon.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Even if he's fit enough to train its hard to see him being match fit anytime soon its a long lay off and he's going to need 3/4 U23 games before he's ready and by then it'll be too late to make a significant difference. We need to go with what we have...

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I disagree - imagine his movement if you took the other player away - it would look bizarre and daft. Therefore, if he did it knowing the guy is there, it's very, very dangerous.

Yeah reckless. Not premeditated.
If he wanted to injure the player, it would be far easier to carry on in the same direction, studs up and follow through his leg.
He thought he could win the ball by a using very forceful challenge.

Bad judgement and very lucky to not have broken the opponents leg.
Straight red all day long, but in my view not premeditated.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think its a bit harsh to suggest that Andone knowingly looked down at the guys leg and intentionally stamped on it. Some bad challenges in football are premeditated where the player has set out to foul/injure his opponent. But more often the bad challenges are wreckless & dangerous, and worthy of a red card, not because they are premeditated, but because the player hasnt had the intelligence or forethought to see how his physical actions are going to pan out. & just gets the timing of it all wrong. If a player slides into a challenge for example he may have every intention of just making contact with the ball, but his momentum which is irreversible causes him to hit the player as well. I think its the latter with Andone's Southampton red card. He's gone to challenge for the ball, it looks to me like he trying to swivel his body to shield it from the Southampton player, but his over-eagerness to make the challenge & mistiming of it mixed with the opposition players movement means his foot ends up coming down on Valery's leg rather than the turf. It will have all happened in a flash to Andone, was a silly challenge, and 100% a red card, but to think he went into it with intention of breaking the guys leg is an accusation we cant make. Hopefully he's learnt from this and we see him scoring goals again soon.

Just have to agree to disagree. He doesn't move in a natural way whatsoever if his only attempt is to get the ball. Imagine taking Valery out of the situation and look at the shape of his body. It makes no sense whatsoever.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008

Yes his movement would look daft if you took the other player away, but that doesnt make sense, his movement is the way it is in order to shield the ball from a player who is there.

Its a silly, mis-timed, dangerous challenge, but I cant see it as an intentional stamp. His intention would have been to get his leg down on the turf before Valery gets there & so therefor blocking Valery from the ball. But Andone is late to the challenge and so it ends up with an unintentional stamp.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes his movement would look daft if you took the other player away, but that doesnt make sense, his movement is the way it is in order to shield the ball from a player who is there.

So - as I said - he knew the other player was there and chose to go in with a very high stamping motion onto what he knows is very likely the opponent's leg. He was looking toward Valery when he started the motion. Did he know 100% that he'd catch his leg? Perhaps not. But he would've known it would've been a very high chance, and still chose to go ahead with it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I do wonder how much of the Andone hype is based around that goal against Palace, and had he scored either that goal against someone else (e.g. Watford) or even scored a tap-in against Palace people would be quite so keen on his returning?

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
So - as I said - he knew the other player was there and chose to go in with a very high stamping motion onto what he knows is very likely the opponent's leg. He was looking toward Valery when he started the motion. Did he know 100% that he'd catch his leg? Perhaps not. But he would've known it would've been a very high chance, and still chose to go ahead with it.

I agree with all but the last sentence. He would have gone into the challenge thinking or hoping he has a higher chance of taking the ball and not the man. Its a split second decision that he's had to make and got the predicted outcome wrong. But that's a far cry from saying he intentionally stamped on the guys leg in order to break it which some suggest.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I do wonder how much of the Andone hype is based around that goal against Palace, and had he scored either that goal against someone else (e.g. Watford) or even scored a tap-in against Palace people would be quite so keen on his returning?

Yeah there's an element of truth to that.
His stats are decent though, so there is more to it than just that goal.

No guarantees that he's any better than what we've got, but he is another option.

Personally I think he's probably comparable to Maupay, which is why Potter felt he could afford to loan him out.
I feel he may be mentally stronger than Maupay though. I don't think he doubts his own ability for one second

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Think we can all agree it wasn't a great tackle

Think we can all agree we're desperate for someone who can score a goal

Remains to be seen if Florin can ....

a) get fit
b) obtain GP's forgiveness
c) do better in front of goal than those we have

Of those, A in my mind is the biggest hurdle

Rinkmaster

Oct 1, 2020
Newhaven
All this discussion about Florin who hasn't had a competitive match for donkeys. The question should be asked about a striker who is fit and could offer something different. Why has Swiss Andy not been given a fair run in the side he is on the bench most match days but never given a run. If he is not good enough then don't put him on the bench

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I agree with all but the last sentence. He would have gone into the challenge thinking or hoping he has a higher chance of taking the ball and not the man. Its a split second decision that he's had to make and got the predicted outcome wrong. But that's a far cry from saying he intentionally stamped on the guys leg in order to break it which some suggest.

Fair enough. I think we're very close to agreeing, it's almost just semantics at this point. Of course, neither of us know precisely what was going through his head at the time, so perhaps you are right to give him the benefit of the doubt, even if I'm not 100% convinced.

:thumbsup:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
All this discussion about Florin who hasn't had a competitive match for donkeys. The question should be asked about a striker who is fit and could offer something different. Why has Swiss Andy not been given a fair run in the side he is on the bench most match days but never given a run. If he is not good enough then don't put him on the bench

Possibly not as good as the players in the first team but better than the u23s?

Somebody has to go on the bench

But I agree, I'd have given him more of a chance as well

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Agree. Tau as well.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Agree. Tau as well.

Yeh, if the blokes in front of you are doing their bit, then being on the bench is hard but you can accept why.

Clearly not the case here though

Total aside, was Connolly injured for the Leicester game?

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Seeing as we miss from 6 yards, maybe we should have kept Murray and simply told him just to stay up front - no running back. How desperate have we become

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here