Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fixtures released at 9am today

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
I'll write it in really small, simple words for you:

There were all these chaps, right, and they liked watching football. Their team was Brighton. They used to go all the time, and had a lovely time, with their friends. They'd have a beer, rock up at the stadium, pay a few pounds, and cheer on their team.

One day, a bad man came along, promised to help the club, but actually stole their stadium, and sold it to build a toyshop.
The club could have gone out of business, and very nearly did, but just clung on to life, playing at a borrowed stadium, some 80 miles away. The group of friends were sad, because they didn't get to follow their Saturday ritual anymore. One of them still went, and a couple of others went now and again, but it was difficult.

Then, two years later, a way was found, to move the club back to Brighton. This was great, but it wasn't back to a proper ground, but to the place years previously, where the group of chums used to have their school sports day. There were some temporary seats, and some portaloos, but ultimately it was still a low-grade athletics track. It was novel though, and a few of the freinds went again more often. It wasn't like before though - they couldn't decide on the day, as it wasn't allowed, to buy a ticket at the game. And there was no roof, so if the weather was bad, it wasn't very nice.

And the team were not very good, as the directors had decided that the club should only employ players that they could actually afford to pay, unlike some other naughty clubs, who just cheated.

A few years later a lifelong fan of the club, who had been propping things up financially for some time, decided the time was right to take full control. He started, by investing a large sum of money, in the form of an unsecured interest free loan, to build the team a proper football stadium. He also employed a clever man to manage the team.

The team got better, and when they moved to their shiny new stadium, they were playing in a higher league. There was lots of excitement around the city, and all the groups of old freinds got chatting and decided that they missed the old days, and that now there was a decent standard of football to watch, in appropriate surroundings, thet they should start attending regularly again. A couple of people in this circle of friends asked if a new pal could come along too, who'd only taken a passing interest previously. "Of course" said the others, "the more the merrier".

So many of these groups of pals wanted to come, that after one year, the nice owner had to pay to install lots more seats, in the nice new stadium, but they all got sold too, before they'd even been fitted.

The end.

Perfect!

essexeagle

Jul 22, 2004

There were all these chaps, right, and they liked watching football. Their team was Brighton. They used to go all the time, and had a lovely time, with their freinds. They'd have a beer, rock up at the stadium, pay a few pounds, and cheer on their team.

One day, a bad man came along, promised to help the club, but actually stole their stadium, and sold it to build a toyshop.
The club could have gone out of business, and very nearly did, but just clung on to life, playing at a borrowed stadium, some 80 miles away. The group of
freinds were sad, because they didn't get to follow their Saturday ritual anymore. One of them still went, and a couple of others went now and again, but it was difficult.

Then, two years later, a way was found, to move the club back to Brighton. this was great, but it wasn't back to a proper ground, but to the place years previously, where the group of chums used to have their school sports day. There were some temporary seats, and some portaloos, but ultimately is was still a low-grade athletics track. It was novel though, and a few of the freinds went again more often. It wasn't like before though - they couldn't decide on the day, as it wasn't allowed, to buy a ticket at the game. And there was no roof, so if the weather was bad, it wasn't very nice.

And the team were not very good, as thedirectors had decided that the club should only employ players that they could actually afford to pay, unlike some other naughty clubs, who just cheated.

A few years later a lifelong fan of the club, who had been propping things up financially for some time, decided the time was right to take full control. He started, by investing a large sum of money, in the form of an unsecured interest free loan, to build the team a proper football stadium. He also employed a clever man to manage the team.

The team got better, and when they moved to their shiny new stadium, they were playing in a higher league. there was lots of excitement around the city, and all the groups of old freinds got chatting and decided that they missed the old days, and that now there was a decent standard of football to watch, in appropriate surroundings, thet they should start attending regularly again. A couple of people in this circle of freinds asked if a new pal could come along too, who'd only taken a passing interest previously. "Of course" said the others, "the more the merrier".

So many of these groups of pals wanted to come, that after one year, the nice owner had to pay to install lots more seats, in the nice new stadium, but they all got sold too, before they'd even been fitted.

The end.

Great post hans.. had me smiling a lot :lol:

BUT, I'm sorry, you guys are still not answering the question! If you had all these chums who used to like going to see their favourite team at the Gallstone and their Saturday afternoons revolved around these trips to meet up with their buddy's and cheer on their hero's, when times got tough, which they undoubtedly did, why did they suddenly all disappear just because it was sometimes raining at the new place their hero's were playing football at?
And then, the magic fairy waved her wand and there was suddenly this wonky, but brand new, stadium and all of a sudden everything was great again! They decided to start going to watch their favourite team again (the same team they undoubtedly expressed their un-dying love for when the Gallstone went up the chute) just because they had a roof over their heads and a warm cup of cocoa to watch the game with.

Is that about it? True fans?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Good stuff in this thread. The Palace trolls are clearly masters of timewasting (and for that I give them some respect) as the real arguments have been lost so many times in the past year or two.

If Palace had a stadium like The Amex, and if everything was as brilliant for them as it is for us at the moment, then they would also be enjoying an amazing time as fans - bringing back all their old fans, pulling in some new fans and heading for 25,000+ crowds in The Championship (and 30,000+ when promotion comes).

If... if... :lolol:

essexeagle

Jul 22, 2004
They couldn't all be at the Withdean anyway you dimwit!

But out of this massive number there could have been enough to sell out the 6000 capacity!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

BUT, I'm sorry, you guys are still not answering the question! If you had all these chums who used to like going to see their favourite team at the Gallstone and their Saturday afternoons revolved around these trips to meet up with their buddy's and cheer on their hero's, when times got tough, which they undoubtedly did, why did they suddenly all disappear just because it was sometimes raining at the new place their hero's were playing football at?
And then, the magic fairy waved her wand and there was suddenly this wonky, but brand new, stadium and all of a sudden everything was great again! They decided to start going to watch their favourite team again (the same team they undoubtedly expressed their un-dying love for when the Gallstone went up the chute) just because they had a roof over their heads and a warm cup of cocoa to watch the game with.

It's quite simple really. The answer is that there are different types of fans (at every club). Some see it as almost a commitment. Certainly in the worst years at Withdean, when we were utterly shit, and the temporay stands were falling apart, and we had a shit manager and mostly shit players (and it rained EVERY week), I occassionally questionned why myself and my nine year old HAD to go. But we did.

Others still have huge passion for the club, but demand to be entertained, or to get value for money. You couldn't expect either of those things at Withdean, frankly.

Fast forward a couple of years, and its not only the facilities that are massively better. The standard of football is too - not just ourselves, but the level we are at, also. And its CHEAPER, and the club makes it easy with interest free DD for all tickets.

To be honest if you don't understand why more people, would want to attend, more often, you're actively trying NOT to understand.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Simster, I find it hard to argue most of your points. Our crowds are shit. 13000 - 17000 is not good enough. Hands up. I don't dispute your attendance is higher. BUT..............................How do you argue that 12000 of your fans are not plastic supporters? Where were they when your club really needed them? At home watching Sky? At Fratton Park? At St Mary's? I dunno but they certainly weren't at the Withdean.
Shit facilities is not a reason either. Christ, I'm sure a lot of us has been at the old open terraces travelling hundreds of miles to watch us lose at places like Barnsley where everyone is pissing at half time in an open toilet in the rain, eating complete dogshit pies etc..but that was football! It didn't stop us! But yet the reson you lot give for the missing 12000 in the Withdean days is shit football and shit facilities? It doesn't add up mate.

Funny you should mention Barnsley, considering your abject turnout there last season, what was it 180-200. I think I read somewhere that it was the worst away following in the championship by any team for the whole season.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

When you miss the point, you really do it by quite a distance.

Paying £25 for watching poor football in appalling conditions, with poor facilities is never going to attract many. You might bang on about open terraces, but you paid a fiver in those days. Big difference. We didn't need a sparkling, spanking state-of-the-art stadium - the kind you can only dream of - to bring back the fans who shouldn't have to suffer that form of indignity. It just so happens that we have one, and that's what's really pissing you off. It's beyond you to admit it, so you make other things up to cover your inadequacies.

We had to suffer some unnecessary, uncalled-for football hardships (including homelessness and the real threat of extinction) for people to have their faith really tested in their club. What's your excuse?

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes

There were all these chaps, right, and they liked watching football. Their team was Brighton. They used to go all the time, and had a lovely time, with their friends. They'd have a beer, rock up at the stadium, pay a few pounds, and cheer on their team.

The club could have gone out of business, and very nearly did, but just clung on to life, playing at a borrowed stadium, some 80 miles away. The group of friends were sad, because they didn't get to follow their Saturday ritual anymore. One of them still went, and a couple of others went now and again, but it was difficult.

Then, two years later, a way was found, to move the club back to Brighton. This was great, but it wasn't back to a proper ground, but to the place years previously, where the group of chums used to have their school sports day. There were some temporary seats, and some portaloos, but ultimately it was still a low-grade athletics track. It was novel though, and a few of the freinds went again more often. It wasn't like before though - they couldn't decide on the day, as it wasn't allowed, to buy a ticket at the game. And there was no roof, so if the weather was bad, it wasn't very nice.

And the team were not very good, as the directors had decided that the club should only employ players that they could actually afford to pay, unlike some other naughty clubs, who just cheated.

The team got better, and when they moved to their shiny new stadium, they were playing in a higher league. There was lots of excitement around the city, and all the groups of old freinds got chatting and decided that they missed the old days, and that now there was a decent standard of football to watch, in appropriate surroundings, thet they should start attending regularly again. A couple of people in this circle of friends asked if a new pal could come along too, who'd only taken a passing interest previously. "Of course" said the others, "the more the merrier".

The end.

Brilliantly put Hans

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Paying £25 for watching poor football in appalling conditions, with poor facilities is never going to attract many. You might bang on about open terraces, but you paid a fiver in those days. Big difference. We didn't need a sparkling, spanking state-of-the-art stadium - the kind you can only dream of - to bring back the fans who shouldn't have to suffer that form of indignity. It just so happens that we have one, and that's what's really pissing you off. It's beyond you to admit it, so you make other things up to cover your inadequacies.

We had to suffer some unnecessary, uncalled-for football hardships (including homelessness and the real threat of extinction) for people to have their faith really tested in their club. What's your excuse?

What's his excuse for an attendance of 25287 in 2004 against Ipswich just before the playoffs? Dare we suggest that Palace have plastics? Where are they all now?

essexeagle

Jul 22, 2004

No, honestly you are wrong. I actually love Selhurst. Personally, I don't want a new stadium. I hate all the identi-kit grounds like Reading, Leicester, Middlesboro, Derby etc. Your's is better than most. And it holds lots of special memories that I will never forget!! I do believe we have a 100% record at the Amex!!
But seriously, I'm an old fart who hankers for the days when we could travel all over the country, stand on terraces and eat shitty burgers and pies from a catering van that was brought in for the day of the match.
Those days will never return. Selhurst frustrates me when ht comes and you can't get a beer/burger/hot-dog..whatever. But it is still an old traditional ground. I know I'm in a minority but I would rather have that over the identi-kit grounds that are the future of football these days. Sky money has ruined the game as I knew it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No, honestly you are wrong. I actually love Selhurst. Personally, I don't want a new stadium. I hate all the identi-kit grounds like Reading, Leicester, Middlesboro, Derby etc. Your's is better than most. And it holds lots of special memories that I will never forget!! I do believe we have a 100% record at the Amex!!
But seriously, I'm an old fart who hankers for the days when we could travel all over the country, stand on terraces and eat shitty burgers and pies from a catering van that was brought in for the day of the match.
Those days will never return. Selhurst frustrates me when ht comes and you can't get a beer/burger/hot-dog..whatever. But it is still an old traditional ground. I know I'm in a minority but I would rather have that over the identi-kit grounds that are the future of football these days. Sky money has ruined the game as I knew it.

There's a kernel of truth there, but those three cowsheds of Selhurst are now just plain dangerous.

We don't worry about identikit stadia down here - it's not an issue.

Still, if it's shitty burgers and pies you're after, you've got no worries on that score.

So, just to get it straight, have you been in the Premier League or not? Sorry, I'm just not clear on your answer.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not really interested in joining the Premierscum AGAIN. But I just wondered. For reasons of accuracy and all that. That's all of course.

Edit... Oh, I'm 43. Not sure how that makes a difference but now you know.

Months or years - I would guess the former from your contribution to this thread.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
On the grounds of Safety. Sussex police apparently asked for an early kick off on Sunday.

I'm not sure how having Brighton fans and Palace fans pouring out of the Amex after a heated derby game, and then heading into the city centre to join the St Patrick's Day "fun" would strike anyone as safe tbh.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

That, sir, is a good post. We are on different sides of the divide but on this i agree wholeheartedly. Those days are gone, good and bad, all we can do is hold onto the memories.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

There were all these chaps, right, and they liked watching football. Their team was Brighton. They used to go all the time, and had a lovely time, with their freinds. They'd have a beer, rock up at the stadium, pay a few pounds, and cheer on their team.

The club could have gone out of business, and very nearly did, but just clung on to life, playing at a borrowed stadium, some 80 miles away. The group of
freinds were sad, because they didn't get to follow their Saturday ritual anymore. One of them still went, and a couple of others went now and again, but it was difficult.

Then, two years later, a way was found, to move the club back to Brighton. this was great, but it wasn't back to a proper ground, but to the place years previously, where the group of chums used to have their school sports day. There were some temporary seats, and some portaloos, but ultimately is was still a low-grade athletics track. It was novel though, and a few of the freinds went again more often. It wasn't like before though - they couldn't decide on the day, as it wasn't allowed, to buy a ticket at the game. And there was no roof, so if the weather was bad, it wasn't very nice.

And the team were not very good, as thedirectors had decided that the club should only employ players that they could actually afford to pay, unlike some other naughty clubs, who just cheated.

The team got better, and when they moved to their shiny new stadium, they were playing in a higher league. there was lots of excitement around the city, and all the groups of old freinds got chatting and decided that they missed the old days, and that now there was a decent standard of football to watch, in appropriate surroundings, thet they should start attending regularly again. A couple of people in this circle of freinds asked if a new pal could come along too, who'd only taken a passing interest previously. "Of course" said the others, "the more the merrier".

The end.

This is not such a good post. You could ask where all the premier league fans you had in the good times had gone. It's human nature to have a variable set of responses given a group of people. Some are more die-hard than others. Your club is just the same, a group of variables (league performance, quality of team weighed against success on pitch and quality of surroundings). Equally, football clubs need new blood in order to sustain support. Did you ever visit the Withdean? If you did you'll know that the kids section was just as poor as the away fans. Once perhaps, one could watch for the value of novelty. Any more and it amounted to self-flagellation. We lost a generation of fans that way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here