Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

First away game you remember attending.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My first away game was a cup replay at The Den with a 2.30 kick off time and myself and Terry Tribe bunked of from Holy Trinity school in Worthing, I think , may have been the Tech, and jumped the trains to Millwall in the early 1950s. They had a player called Ron Heckman playing and they beat us 2 - 0, I think.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Palace '79. lost 3-1 but were splendidly turned out in the bukta yellow away kit

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Charlton Athletic on New Years Day 1985, we scored after less than 2 minutes and held on for a 1-0 win (despite some disappointments since then at least I was off to a good start). My abiding memory of the game was how few Brighton fans there were, no more than a couple of hundred, and how large their old terrace was in comparison to ours.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Gillingham 1977 (I think). We won 1-0 thanks to Spider Mellor. Massive Albion crew there. It kicked off after the game as Palace's game had been postponed and a few of their hoolies popped down to join in the fun.

Seagull Stew

Does the FA Cup Semi Final count?

If not, it was Fulham 3 Brighton 1 at the end of the 1983-84 season.

Can't remember too much about the game itself but do remember being asked by a couple of Fulham fans what the score was on the way back to the car with my Dad. Being Eleven at the time, I told them as I didn't think they knew and they just laughed at me. :tosser:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I was quite old, about 16/17. It was Palace away, a midweek game quite early in the season in about 1974. We won 1-0 and there were virtually NO Brighton fans there. (Pre-rivalry).

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Fulham 4 Brighton 1 at Craven Cottage in 1970, it finally put paid to Brighton's flagging promotion hopes.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Kingstonian in the FA Cup. Horrible day out.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Seagull_Stew said:

That was mine, followed by the Final itself. Not a bad introduction to away game atmospheres!

After that it was the Peterborough away cup game the following season. Went on the Seagull special train where we were all given a free red Albion scarf as it was our 'lucky' kit at the time. It was the 'snow' game that should never have been played.

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
1983, Vs Notts County. Lost one-nil, think it might have been the gmae in which Foster got booked and ruled out of Cup Final. Remember very little about it though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Gully said:
Charlton Athletic on New Years Day 1985, we scored after less than 2 minutes and held on for a 1-0 win (despite some disappointments since then at least I was off to a good start). My abiding memory of the game was how few Brighton fans there were, no more than a couple of hundred, and how large their old terrace was in comparison to ours.
Eh? That was my second ever away game and my abiding memory was that we had half the 7,300 crowd - nearly all packed into the seats behind the goal.

Seagull_Stew said:

If not, it was Fulham 3 Brighton 1 at the end of the 1983-84 season.

Can't remember too much about the game itself but do remember being asked by a couple of Fulham fans what the score was on the way back to the car with my Dad. Being Eleven at the time, I told them as I didn't think they knew and they just laughed at me. :tosser:
And that was my FIRST away game! I thought we lost 2-0??? I think that place is still one of my favourite away trips.

Last edited:

Jul 25, 2006
Bozza said:
That was mine, followed by the Final itself. Not a bad introduction to away game atmospheres!

After that it was the Peterborough away cup game the following season. Went on the Seagull special train where we were all given a free red Albion scarf as it was our 'lucky' kit at the time. It was the 'snow' game that should never have been played.

Ditto!! FA Cup Final (with my dad) followed by Peterborough away in the snow - my first away-day 'with the lads'. I was 12.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Southend in the 1987-88 season. We lost and the game was utterly forgettable on the pitch though there was a bit of trouble in the ground when Southend scored. My overriding memory is of how crap the old away end at Roots Hall was.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
BensGrandad said:
My first away game was a cup replay at The Den with a 2.30 kick off time and myself and Terry Tribe bunked of from Holy Trinity school in Worthing, I think , may have been the Tech, and jumped the trains to Millwall in the early 1950s. They had a player called Ron Heckman playing and they beat us 2 - 0, I think.

I remember him running coaches in the seventies.Mostly Clifton lads and a few others.

Pompey away 71 or 72 for me. Quite scary if I remember as a 11 year old.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here