Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Films that hardly raised a stir which you rate very highly.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Stephen King's The Langoliers. Although technically it was originally aired as a 2 part mini series

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Silent Running

A quite old sci-fi which really touches a nerve given the way we are destroying planet Earth

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I thought it was immense. The start with the panning back through the universe was stunning. The end disapointed a little with the scene on the beach. I guess it was all about heaven ? Not altogether sure but Foster was incredible, as always.

I was let down by Contact because I was a massive fan of the book which had all of the nations of the world come together to raise enough money to build the ship. They sent 8 people representing all the cultures/races/religions of the world and all of them had different visions when they landed on the alien world. Also Matthew McConaghay's (sp?) character was actually two separate people and I didn't like the way they made the religious character also her love interest.

I still enjoyed it. Foster was brilliant as always and John Hurt got the entrepenuerial stupidly rich guy spot on but I was let down that the book's core message was basically binned from the start.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Con Air - Fairly underrated
Bangkok Dangerous - IMDB 5.4!!??
Godzilla (1998 Matthew Broderick) - IMDB 5.1
Ace Ventura 2 - IMDB 5.9
I Love you Phillip Morris (hugely underrated, excellent film)
The Number 23 - IMDB 6.2
The Cable Guy - IMDB 5.9

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Con Air - Fairly underrated
Bangkok Dangerous - IMDB 5.4!!??
Godzilla (1998 Matthew Broderick) - IMDB 5.1
Ace Ventura 2 - IMDB 5.9
I Love you Phillip Morris (hugely underrated, excellent film)
The Number 23 - IMDB 6.2
The Cable Guy - IMDB 5.9

I thought Godzilla was infact a pretty decent film and Cable Guy is excellent.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I know i went on about it at the time, but i loved Las Acacias at the London Film Festival last year. Had a brief outing at a few cinemas in December i think, but didn't get anywhere near the credit or income it deserved. A beautifully slow-moving tale of the human connection between the grizzled truck driver and the single mother with baby that he has to transport into Argentina, at first begrudgingly. It's a story told in the mildest expressions as much as it is in the rather ordinary language spoken. It just grabbed me and i wanted them to fall in love forever.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
I was let down by Contact because I was a massive fan of the book which had all of the nations of the world come together to raise enough money to build the ship. They sent 8 people representing all the cultures/races/religions of the world and all of them had different visions when they landed on the alien world. Also Matthew Mahogany's (sp?) character was actually two separate people and I didn't like the way they made the religious character also her love interest.

Spelling corrected :)

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
The Return of Captain Invincible.

Christopher Lee. SINGING.

edit: Also Phase IV, about normal-sized ants turning on humans - the only film directed by Saul Bass iirc.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Personally I'm quite surprised at Pearl Harbor's (sic) rating on IMDb - 5.7! I'd have given it nearer a 7.

That was a horrendous film, in my humble opinion. I would give it closer to 3.1 (Three for casting Beckinsale).

I'd add Malena, Y Tu Mama Tambien and Free City to the list of understated films.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
That was a horrendous film, in my humble opinion. I would give it closer to 3.1 (Three for casting Beckinsale).

I'd add Malena, Y Tu Mama Tambien and Free City to the list of understated films.

I can see why some people might not like it, there were many flaws. But as a spectacle - which most war movies aim to be - I thought it fared quite well.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

The attack scenes were brilliant and for me that alone gets 5. So overall 6.5 for the film as a whole.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Stephen King's The Langoliers. Although technically it was originally aired as a 2 part mini series
Well, as they say, it's all according to taste - I remember watching that with a few friends and we were all creased up at how poor the acting and effects were :)
Silent Running

A quite old sci-fi which really touches a nerve given the way we are destroying planet Earth
Great film, directed by Douglas Trumbull I think, [MENTION=87]Brightonfan1983[/MENTION] is correct this film has quite the following and deservedly so :thumbsup:

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Well, as they say, it's all according to taste - I remember watching that with a few friends and we were all creased up at how poor the acting and effects were :)

To be fair, you probably have a point but my friend and I were stoned when we watched it. :)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
John Carpenter's The Thing and Starman both flopped in the box office and are worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Blade Runner.

Starman is in my top 30 of all time. That is a cracking good call with one of the most moving scenes ever committed to celluloid. A pivotal moment in the film. It is a love story basically.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Really enjoyed Starman myself, made me think a lot of Robert Heinlein's classic novel 'Stranger in a Strange Land', well worth a read if you enjoyed the film Starman.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here