Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2009

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't get all the HYPE with this Twilight gubbins.
I watched it on Sky Movies the other week without ever having heard of it, and it was a struggle to stay with it. I strayed to other channels a couple of times, it was so s-l-o-w and ponderous. Can't say I'll be rushing along to the sequal.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
You're welcome. Easy mistake to make.

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
I don't get all the HYPE with this Twilight gubbins.
I watched it on Sky Movies the other week without ever having heard of it, and it was a struggle to stay with it. I strayed to other channels a couple of times, it was so s-l-o-w and ponderous. Can't say I'll be rushing along to the sequal.

I think it's mainly so wonderful because teenage girls read it and believe that one day they will find their edward cullen, and it's supposed to be such a sweet romance :bla::bla::bla:

Actually, it's kind of sickening in a way.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I can't understand the obsession with Robert Pattinson. Luckily neither can my girlfriend.

He's just ODD looking. If he was in a school yearbook you wouldn't look at him twice, apart from noting how odd he looked, I suppose.

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
Changing topic slightly, I went to see 2012 yesterday.

Thought it was good as end-of-the-world, devastation films go, however, went on for bloody ages. Plus the cinema had air conditioning on that was way too cold for a normal three hour sit in the dark...

Good special effects, strange russian bloke with a deep russian accent, pavarotti-esque.... would definately watch again, but not sure if I'd buy it on DVD.

6.7/10 stars

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
have been excited to go and see 2012 for the last few months but everyone else thinks it looks rubbish and won't go with me :(

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
I asked about 2012 on another thread and the response to it was pretty negative. I watched it today and my view was as follows. Good escapist end of the world disaster movie, not up to Day after tomorrow for me, but special effects were quite impressive. Was way too long to be fair and after a while it really did drag. I admit to enjoying DAT and would give it 8/10, as for 2012 id say 7/10 tops. all in all not as good as hoped for, but have seen far worse

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Went to see Bright Star last night. I'm not a fan of romantic dramas, certainly not when Hollywood get their grubby, printless fingers on them, but this was fairly moving. Jane Campion behind the camera holding things steadily as the love between John Keats, unlauded and ruffled like a 90s Mancunian, and Fanny Brawne, argumentative and spritely, grows without noted physicality. I'm not sure they ever seemed the perfect match, but their shared adoration was apparent and deserved to be given a try rather than each being kept at arm's length by the period itself and the icy naysayers around them. A sweet enough drama with heart and a vague imprint of sorrow.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Informant
This was quite quirky, and had a great performance, but like a lot of Steven Soderburgh films, it seemed to lack that spark to push it above good.

Harry Brown
Very good performance from Michael Caine, but I think it is a little overrated. Still decent, just not a masterpiece as some have painted it.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Terminator Salvation

This got a bit of a beasting from the critics but I was not overly optimistic but as it has my favourite actor Chrtian Bale in it and I love the franchise it would be rude not to watch it.

It had some splended action sequences and rock along without too many boring moments but it was to a certain extent a long music type video. Not suprising as it was made by McG an exponent of this type of media.

Bale who was criticised did not wrong for me. He did what was required within the constraints of an average script.

The main problem for me is that is was a bit messy and you did not really connect or care that much for the characters and if they died.

It was certainly a reasonable sfi fi film in its own right but coming off the back off the trilogy ( yes I liked T3 ) it did not live up to the hype.

However it is worth a watch for sure.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Defiance - This could have been a good film but was made REALLY badly and for that reason it's getting a very low score. Daniel Craig is the single least inspiring actor I have ever seen and parts of this film bore great resemblance to Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. You don't feel any emotion of any of the characters which is a crying shame. Shocker, and mostly because of Craig. He really is shit.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Daniel Craig was good in Our Friends In The North but has been piss-poor in everything else.

Max, you should check out his unbelievably bad accent in Munich

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I have been taking advantage of the HMV sale recently and with dvd's for 3 earth pounds I have been less discerning than normal, however I came unstuck with....

He Was A Quiet Man.

This stars Christian slater as a balding, buck toothed, mousatchiod office loser, who dreams of killing his coworkers until somebody beats him to the punch and he inadvertantly becomes a hero. Then ends up falling in love with a woman who has been paralysed in the office shoot out.

It is supposed to be a black comedy but really just comes across as an odd, unwatchable mess. With very strange comical, CGI goldfish and hummingbirds making unexplained appearences and then a terrible Fight Club rip off twist at the end which just doesn't work.

Total piece of shit.

I was pleasatly surprised with my 2nd choice though.

Borstal Boy.

A film based on the Autobiography of Brendan Behan, the notorious Irish writer and alcoholic. This charts his late teen years as he is sent to Borstal after bringing explosives into England in 1941 on an IRA mission.

Here he befriends Danny Dyer, in a surprisingly good performance as a homosexual sent to borstal for theiving.

From here it plays out quite well if a touch over-sentimental at times.

It seems to have been repackaged to cash in on Danny Dyers image, with the dvd cover featuring Danny Dyer in a Football Factory type pose, even though he is not the lead in the film at all. But don't let that put you off, it is a good little film.

For those who think from the cover it is going to be a "prawper nawty" Dyer vehicle you will be disappointed.

A worthwhile watch

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Surely there are better things to do with £3 than buying films starring Christian Slater, or with Danny Dyer on the cover. Shocking life choice there Nibble.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Surely there are better things to do with £3 than buying films starring Christian Slater, or with Danny Dyer on the cover. Shocking life choice there Nibble.

Ha! Yes, I'll concede the Slater one, but I had wanted to see Borstal Boy for a while cos I like Brendan Behan.

But Hey Ho, £3 I can live with I suppose.

Anyone want to a buy a great Christian Slater film? It's on the cutting edge DVD format (These will not play on a traditional VHS player, so you will have to be one of those technophiles with a new fangled Digital Versatile Disc playback machine, sorry guys).

It has only been viewed once but has retained it's clarity and sound quality due to the fantastic new dvd technology.

The film itself brilliantly depicts modern, pressurised life in an office and with a lead actor, that I predict will fast become an Hollywood A lister you can't really go wrong. The ability of this rising star to transform his persona is akin to the less successful but talented actor Alfonso Pacino. Just give it a watch and you tell me if he doesn't remind you of a young Steve Guttenberg!

But there is more than just the fantastic feature presention to feast on on this very special edition. Yes, before the main film even starts you can choose to enjoy the trailer for "Digital Reaper". This forward thinking film follows the story of veteran homicide detective, Charlie Daines, played by the legendary Armand Assante, who is on the trail of a serial killer who records his evil deeds on a laptop via the amazing new gadget known as a "WebCamera". Confused? Well I was, but amazed at the same time. Value for money in anyone's book!

Directed by Frank Capello, the genius who brought you the Hulk Hogan vehicle, Surburban Commando and the oft overlooked Dr. Otto and the Riddle of the Gloom Beam , I think you know your evening's entertainment is in safe hands.

Production design by the world renowned Ermando Di Febo-Orsini, what more do you people want in a film?

Offers around the £19.99 area will be carefuly considered. Go on treat yourselves!

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If you ask me, Christian Slater peaked with Churchill: The Hollywood Years. It reveals the true story of the real Winston Churchill. Turns out he wasn't a british politician, he was an american soldier, had a fling with Queen Elizabeth, and single handedly won World War 2.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Acker, I haven't seen that particular award winning masterpiece but I for one am glad the defining Churchill story has been made, puts to shame all that bollocks about him being Britains finest PM etc.

As a treat here is Slater in the aforementioned He was a quiet man. Feast.

hewasaquietman.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here