Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Figo

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Any indignation would be completely justified. This is a ludicrous scenario: Not only is there clear footage of the headbutt but said footage proves conclusively that the referee did not see the incident himself. As such any action he took was based on others view and so should be reviewed against the video afterwards.

This completely stinks, why has the referees report of events not been divulged. He will walk out on Saturday next to a flag with 'My Game is Fair Play' written on it. Laughable.

Last edited:

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Sid James said:
Any indignation would be completely justified. This is a ludicrous scenario: Not only is there clear footage of the headbutt but said footage proves inconclusively that the referee did not see the incident himself. As such any action he took was based on others view and so should be reviewed against the video afterwards.

This completely stinks, why has the referees report of events not been divulged. He will walk out on Saturday next to a flag with 'My Game is Fair Play' written on it. Laughable.

Damn foreigners. Good job England never cheat.

9891899C2D59467DA27F8983A2DF9856.jpg

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
DJ Leon said:

This isn't about minor infringements or technicalities, it is about the governing body doing nothing about an act of serious foul play. A completely ridiculous comparison :jester:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Dies Irae said:
I did see the infamous Reading sniper was in the stand when Figo headbutted Van Bommell though, and he was taking pot shots at that disgraceful shit Robben all night.
I must admit, the thought of that diving little BITCH being on his way home at this early stage is a great source of pleasure. But back on topic, the refs have ruined far too many games in this tournament and there is not enough consistency between refs. :nono:

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Sid James said:
This isn't about minor infringements or technicalities, it is about the governing body doing nothing about an act of serious foul play. A completely ridiculous comparison :jester:

Quite right! There is no connection whatsoever about you complaining about how our opponents don't get punished for cheating and your complete failure to mention our players not getting punished for cheating. I am a fool for suggesting it.

Are these your glasses? BTW

englandsunglasses.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
DJ Leon said:
Quite right! There is no connection whatsoever about you complaining about how our opponents don't get punished for cheating and your complete failure to mention our players not getting punished for cheating. I am a fool for suggesting it.

englandsunglasses.jpg

The difference being that in the Crouch incident it was possibly a foul but not conclusive even from the pictures that he tugged at Sanco's hair. Even if he did it does not come under the banner of violent conduct which the head but of Figo does.

The worse that could have happened with Crouch was a disallowed goal and yellow card for ungentlemanly conduct not an automatic red as in Figo's case.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Man of Harveys said:
I only watched half the game but I didn't see one booking that wasn't justified. Not quite sure what else the ref is expected to do apart from keep dishing out cards if the players continue to act like thugs. It's such a cheap shot to say the referee "lost control" or whatever which completely ignores relentless bad behaviour from the players.

I don't know if you have ever reffed a game - but there are times when you let things go to let the game flow - then you feel the game slipping away - and you try to bring it back again by giving free-kicks - but that leads to inconsistancy, and danders are up and it's gone.

Like you - I only saw the second half - but it looked to me like the game had gone and the ref was thrashing about trying to re-assert his control. Unfortunately his hands are tied - as he has been told to book certain things and there is less scope to use discretion.

And the players are not blameless - through cheating (diving), assaulting fellow players and being too carried away to follow what they have been told.

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
DJ Leon said:

englandsunglasses.jpg

Yes you are a fool because you still don't seem to get it. The reason I or no one else has mentioned the incident in the photo is because a) it was so clearly a foul that it takes a blown up picture to even point it out and more importantly b) goals cannot be disallowed restrospectively.

Dubious goals are scored all the time in football and we just have to accept that nothing can be done after the game, the same cannot be said for acts of violent conduct which should ALWAYS be punished.

Of course they are my glasses, give them back now !

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
DJ Leon said:

What goes around comes around

We have been knocked out of a world cup and a Euro Championship on disallowed headed goals which 9 times out of 10 would have stood

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Sid James said:
Yes you are a fool because you still don't seem to get it. The reason I or no one else has mentioned the incident in the photo is because a) it was so clearly a foul that it takes a blown up picture to even point it out and more importantly b) goals cannot be disallowed restrospectively.

Dubious goals are scored all the time in football and we just have to accept that nothing can be done after the game, the same cannot be said for acts of violent conduct which should ALWAYS be punished.

Of course they are my glasses, give them back now !

So we agree. Our cheating is OK - even if it wins us games, it's still OK and definitely not really CHEATING. The Portuguese cheating (a touching of heads which had no real effect on the result) is a disgrace and should be punished immediately. I understand where you're coming from totally. :rolleyes:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
the bottom line for me is cheating is rife and piss poor inconsistent refereeing is commonplace to the point its not particularly pleasant to watch some games where you have a vested interest becasue it makes one so *f***ing ANGRY*

until video replays are used by a 4th official and the ref gets to see them it will never be stamped out, and until then players will keep cheating.

by the time that happens football will be so stop start it'll be like grid iron . . .utterly shyte :nono:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Dick Knights Mum said:
I don't know if you have ever reffed a game
I have, twice. Under 10s, I think it was. The only noteworthy incidents I had to deal with were when two of the players started crying, one because of a foul which had hurt him (which I CORRECTLY awarded), the other because he was cold.

That aside, amongst other things, isn't the ref also there to offer protection to players? If he'd let the game flow during the last 20 minutes that I'd seen, it'd have been like an abattoir out there.

Are you quizzing DKM?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here