Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Figo

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The Large One said:
It was the linesman who saw it, Figo did it while the ref's back was turned.

The only thing I can think of was that the lino was at some distance and didn't see how hard the headbutt was, but even then the intent ought to have been enough for a red card.

Even if he'd missed completely, surely intent is enough to warrant the red card.

It seems at least that the referee should be reprimanded for not issuing a red card for a sending off offence, assuming that he was aware that an assault had taken place. If he wasn't, then I have no idea what the yellow card was for.

If the rules don't allow a card to be upgraded even if it's clear that the incorrect card was weilded, then the rule needs changing. It's time some players were made examples of in this way to put a stop to the amount of cheating that goes on. It's so deeply rooted now that every country participates and, for me, it spoils the spectacle.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Sepp Blatter was quoted on Portuguese TV last night as saying that the ref 'needed a yellow card' for his performance.

Whether you agree with that or not, it's completely out of order for him to say it. What he has done is prejudice and influence any decision to be made by a FIFA panel looking at all of the misbehaviour (by players, coaches and ref alike) in the match.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
From the BCC site, FIFAs comments as follows

"The referee's report is being analysed but it is very unlikely anything will happen as he has been sanctioned."

"It is only where there is a clear disciplinary issue, which has not been acted upon by the referee, that the disciplinary committee can look at it."

So it's unlikely, but not impossible. They have bent the rules before!

No biggy, we should be able to beat Portugal in any case.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Large One said:
More to the point, let him try his new heading skills out on Wayne Rooney. Let's see who comes second then.

He would get a broken nose and another yellow card Rooney would be banned for 6 games under some rule or another.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
sully said:
Even if he'd missed completely, surely intent is enough to warrant the red card.

It seems at least that the referee should be reprimanded for not issuing a red card for a sending off offence, assuming that he was aware that an assault had taken place. If he wasn't, then I have no idea what the yellow card was for.

If the rules don't allow a card to be upgraded even if it's clear that the incorrect card was weilded, then the rule needs changing. It's time some players were made examples of in this way to put a stop to the amount of cheating that goes on. It's so deeply rooted now that every country participates and, for me, it spoils the spectacle.

That's a terrible idea. What should happen is that FIFA should be strengthening the ref's authority and not allow players to question decisions (as happens in rugby).

The idea that FIFA should be retrospectively allowed to undermine a ref's authority will do nothing to preserving players' respect for them.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Gwylan said:
That's a terrible idea. What should happen is that FIFA should be strengthening the ref's authority and not allow players to question decisions (as happens in rugby).

The idea that FIFA should be retrospectively allowed to undermine a ref's authority will do nothing to preserving players' respect for them.
But that then gives the referee ultimate power, at a time when they seem to be getting worse.

I am not wholly against retrospective decisions. Just because a player can do something behind the ref's back should not be reason for him to think he can get away with it. Similarly, I am not against the recinding of red cards (or even yellow cards) if the ref (or an elected panel) thinks it's warranted.

The point is, there is far more politics in football than in rugby, so a ref is often to be seen to be far more, how shall we say, 'malleable' in football. They tend to find their careers develop better that way.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Gwylan said:

Tosh.

The plain fact is that the ref issued the wrong card, it's obvious and clear, there is no doubt whatsover. A headbutt is a Red Card offense, pure and simple.

Where you have a clear mistake by the Ref, FIFA should be able to overturn it.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
AND, if the player knows he can be taken to task by FIFA, if the Ref misses something, then he'd be less likely to do it, of course, this doesnt take in to account a player being in a blinding rage and acting instinctively - i'm sure Cantona wasnt thinking about what might happen to him when he kicked the f*** out of that palarse fan.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Wanderer said:
Tosh.

The plain fact is that the ref issued the wrong card, it's obvious and clear, there is no doubt whatsover. A headbutt is a Red Card offense, pure and simple.

and it is not likely that our very own english ref would give out the wrong card is it???

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Wanderer said:
Tosh.

I disagree. The ref should be the ultimate authority and if he makes a mistake, so be it. I'm all for FIFA making decisions if the ref has missed something but the idea that a committee could over-rule a ref sounds horrendous to me.

As TLO says, there's lots of politics in football and a FIFA committe could easily find ways in which refs could be over-ruled. How about that 'goal' that France scored against South Korea, the one that crossed the line? Are you seriously suggesting that because a mistake has been made, a goal should have been retrospectively awarded? We all make mistakes, refs too. But I'd rather take my chances on a ref's mistakes than a committee of FIFA officials all following their own country's agenda.

The ref has to be always right, even if he's wrong.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Gwylan said:

I was referring to players getting away with their actions because they do it out of sight of the officials, but are clearly caught on camera. That is not undermining the officials, as we all know they are only human and can't see everything.

However, any type of justice throughout the civilised world can be taken to appeal by either party, and thus FIFA should have the power to overturn genuine mistakes. As I said before, referees are only human and can make mistakes. Whilst it won't help the particular match in which the mistake occurred, it is only right that players should be properly accountable for their actions.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
sully said:
I was referring to players getting away with their actions because they do it out of sight of the officials, but are clearly caught on camera. That is not undermining the officials, as we all know they are only human and can't see everything.

Agreed. I'm not disputing that.

What I'm saying is that FIFA shouldn't have a right to intervene when the ref has seen something and made a decision based on what he's seen.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
So what was Figo booked for? Foul, abusive language?

Violent conduct = red card. All referees know this.

Therefore, he cannot have booked him for violent conduct. That means the FIFA panel could punish the violent conduct incident the referee missed.

Of course if the ref did book him for Violent conduct he should be in the plane home now.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I think you are attempting to fight a losing battle here Gwylan. The referee just did not see what happened. Had he, Figo would have been off - and quite rightly too. Is it okay to head-butt as long as the ref does not see you. I don't know how or why he came to the decision to show a yellow card - but it was inappropriate. If players feel thay can get away with stuff as long as the ref's back is turned - we are in trouble.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here