Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Figo

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
jonny.rainbow said:
So what was Figo booked for? Foul, abusive language?

Violent conduct = red card. All referees know this.

Therefore, he cannot have booked him for violent conduct. That means the FIFA panel could punish the violent conduct incident the referee missed.

Of course if the ref did book him for Violent conduct he should be in the plane home now.

i can see a loophole in the fifa law now.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Dick Knights Mum said:
I think you are attempting to fight a losing battle here Gwylan. The referee just did not see what happened. Had he, Figo would have been off - and quite rightly too. Is it okay to head-butt as long as the ref does not see you. I don't know how or why he came to the decision to show a yellow card - but it was inappropriate. If players feel thay can get away with stuff as long as the ref's back is turned - we are in trouble.

Maybe so but I think it's only a losing battle because it's something that would benefit England. Somehow, I don't believe that if Rooney had done what Figo had done - and got away with a yellow - we wouldn't have had loads of people on NSC complaining the rules should be changed.

I'm talking about the wider principle: that the ref is there to enforce the rules. If FIFA had the ability to change ref's decision where would it stop? You'd have clubs appealing to FIFA or the ref at the end of every game. And what message does that give to young refs coming into the game? There's already a shortage of refs as many are forced out by the lack of respect shown to them. Why should FIFA start booting the boot in as well?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Gwylan said:
Maybe so but I think it's only a losing battle because it's something that would benefit England. Somehow, I don't believe that if Rooney had done what Figo had done - and got away with a yellow - we wouldn't have had loads of people on NSC complaining the rules should be changed.

I'm talking about the wider principle: that the ref is there to enforce the rules. If FIFA had the ability to change ref's decision where would it stop? You'd have clubs appealing to FIFA or the ref at the end of every game. And what message does that give to young refs coming into the game? There's already a shortage of refs as many are forced out by the lack of respect shown to them. Why should FIFA start booting the boot in as well?

To be honest, I couldnt give a toss about the wider principle, all I care about right now is England beating Portugal. We can worry about that at the end of the World Cup.

It's all down to the referees report, if he makes it clear that the Yellow was not for the Butt, then FIFA have grounds to intervene, so there is a chance of him being disciplined, albeit a small one

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The referee made a simple mistake. He did not see the incident, acted on the call of his assistant (I assume), but the appropriate mpuishment was not given out. Figo got away with it.

It is clouded by the number of cards and the fact the game appeared to get out of hand. But on this incident a mistake was made - and FIF A can - I assume - correct it. The referee's report will preumable state what the yellow card was for.

On another tack, is Figo any good any more?

Thought he was finished when he left Real Madrid. But in fact he has just had a surprisingly good season for Inter, proving most of his critics wrong. While he may never score another goal like the one he got against England a few years ago, he will still be a danger.

Gwylan said:
I disagree. The ref should be the ultimate authority and if he makes a mistake, so be it. I'm all for FIFA making decisions if the ref has missed something but the idea that a committee could over-rule a ref sounds horrendous to me.

As TLO says, there's lots of politics in football and a FIFA committe could easily find ways in which refs could be over-ruled. How about that 'goal' that France scored against South Korea, the one that crossed the line? Are you seriously suggesting that because a mistake has been made, a goal should have been retrospectively awarded? We all make mistakes, refs too. But I'd rather take my chances on a ref's mistakes than a committee of FIFA officials all following their own country's agenda.

The ref has to be always right, even if he's wrong.

Disagree mate.

If a ref has missed a act of violent conduct then I am for a higher authority to penalise a player, it is worked wonders in both Rugby codes in weeding out violence.

LC

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Figo looked Ok when they went down to 10 men when Costwhateverhisface was sent off and he went up on his own. He certainly hung on to it better.

BTW If the linesman did see it, he would have said to teh ref straight away what had happened because he is "wired up". This obviously did not happen as the poor Russian sod was trying to stop everyone punching hell out of each other.

I thought Ruud Gullit got it 100% right when he said that if the ref books people early then modern players will do all they can, including diving to get people booked and sent off. I just thought it was a disgraceful effort by both teams. I actaully felt very sorry for the ref under extreme provocation.

I did see the infamous Reading sniper was in the stand when Figo headbutted Van Bommell though, and he was taking pot shots at that disgraceful shit Robben all night.

Slightly parallel to this debate, last nights game again highlighted another example of very poor refereeing and again the ref came from the UEFA zone.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
London Calling said:
Slightly parallel to this debate, last nights game again highlighted another example of very poor refereeing and again the ref came from the UEFA zone.

Don't agree, pretty well all those bookings were warranted. The managers and the players shoulder the blame for teams behaving like thugs.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I only watched half the game but I didn't see one booking that wasn't justified. Not quite sure what else the ref is expected to do apart from keep dishing out cards if the players continue to act like thugs. It's such a cheap shot to say the referee "lost control" or whatever which completely ignores relentless bad behaviour from the players.

A good ref would have got on top of the situation, earlier, stamped his authority on the game but 20 infringments and only 24 tackles? Teels me the ref was poor. Though I agree the players can only be blamed for their conduct and behaviour on the pitch.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I back the referee too, most of his decisions (Figo and Deco 2nd yellow apart) were spot on

I defy anyone to do much better in that environment.

The blame should rest 100% with the players. nuff said

London Calling said:
Disagree mate.

If a ref has missed a act of violent conduct then I am for a higher authority to penalise a player, it is worked wonders in both Rugby codes in weeding out violence.

LC

Though ironically in union there is the same rule, that if a ref has yellow carded what is potentially a red card offence, the authorities can then take no action. The principle is that no player should be punished twice for the same crime.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Wanderer said:
I back the referee too, most of his decisions (Figo and Deco 2nd yellow apart) were spot on

I defy anyone to do much better in that environment.

The blame should rest 100% with the players. nuff said

Deco's second was a strange one, as technically he held on to the ball so stopping the dutch maniacs taking a quick free kick. This is certainly being stamped on this WC and Deco should have walked away. All the bookings and sendings off were the fault of the players...I didnt see one that I thought was a mistake

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Portugal are officially appealing against Deco's Sending off, could be interesting, if they can appeal about Deco, why cant we appeal about Figo?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Scolari shows that apart from being a better coach than Sven (probably) he's a lot wittier too :lol:

From the BBC:

However, Scolari defended Figo, saying: "Jesus said we should turn the other cheek. Unfortunately, Figo is not Jesus Christ."

Last edited:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Icy Gull said:
Scolari shows that apart from being a better coach than Sven (probably) he's a lot wittier too :lol:

From the BBC:

However, Scolari defended Figo, saying: "Jesus said we should turn the other cheek. Unfortunately, Figo is not Jesus Christ."

Very good :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here