Figo

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No suprise there then.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Typical.

If he was a Ukrainian, without the mulit-million pound advertising endorsements, playing for an average team in his home country they would ban him for at least 2 games.

Just because it's Figo, 'one of the worlds greatest players', he doesn't get banned.

:nono:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is it possible to send an E Mail to FIFA there doesnt appear a facility opn their website because I feel that it is outrageous thata headbut seen by 20 million people through out the world on TV can go unpunished because he was once a 'great player'.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
He was booked in the game for the headbutt, FIFA rules state that if a ref has delt with an incident with a booking during the game then they are not going to take further action.

So the headbutt that was seen by 20 million people has been punished, he's been booked and is on one yellow card, so if he is booked again on Saturday he would miss the next game of the tournement if they beat England.

No amount of emails and bitching is going to get FIFA to change their minds, it has nothing to do with him once being a 'great player' either.

seagulljaz said:
:angry: mind you van bommel did go down like he was shot, still :angry:
?

And why not. Its a sending off offence!. One of the officials should had seen it, the falllen down just emphasises the infringment!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So the fact that the English FA can seea game on TV and change the card from yellow to red because the ref issued the wrong one has no bearing on the way FIFA act. Probably case of Set Splatter realising that England would benefit if they took action and he can't allow that.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
There's no point moaning about it. Nothing's going to change. If we're clinging onto it as a crucial factor for our game plan then that's pretty pathetic.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
BensGrandad said:
So the fact that the English FA can seea game on TV and change the card from yellow to red because the ref issued the wrong one has no bearing on the way FIFA act. Probably case of Set Splatter realising that England would benefit if they took action and he can't allow that.

Can they do that?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
joey_jo_jo_jr_shabadoo said:
He was booked in the game for the headbutt, FIFA rules state that if a ref has delt with an incident with a booking during the game then they are not going to take further action.

So the headbutt that was seen by 20 million people has been punished, he's been booked and is on one yellow card, so if he is booked again on Saturday he would miss the next game of the tournement if they beat England.

No amount of emails and bitching is going to get FIFA to change their minds, it has nothing to do with him once being a 'great player' either.

Sad, but true.

I'd still like to know whether the ref actually saw what happened, surely if he'd seen the headbut, he'd have sent Figo off, so why the Yellow?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We are not clinging on a s part ofa game plan as I belive that he doesnt pose a threat now anyway, he is past it, but why should he be treated any different to any other player. Lets us assume David Beckham had done the same what do you think Set Splatters opinion would be? The same answer I doubt it very much.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
BensGrandad said:

No the English FA can't change a yellow to red anymore, they can remove a red card, or increase a ban for a red card incident but they cannot take further action against a yellow card anymore.

I remember an incident with an Arsenal player this season only being booked and the FA saying that as the ref had delt with the incident during the game there was nothing further they could do.

BensGrandad said:
We are not clinging on a s part ofa game plan as I belive that he doesnt pose a threat now anyway, he is past it, but why should he be treated any different to any other player. Lets us assume David Beckham had done the same what do you think Set Splatters opinion would be? The same answer I doubt it very much.

It's the rules, this is not some massive conspriacy against England. Get over it.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It was the linesman who saw it, Figo did it while the ref's back was turned.

The only thing I can think of was that the lino was at some distance and didn't see how hard the headbutt was, but even then the intent ought to have been enough for a red card.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
joey_jo_jo_jr_shabadoo said:
No the English FA can't change a yellow to red anymore, they can remove a red card, or increase a ban for a red card incident but they cannot take further action against a yellow card anymore.

I am not 100% sure that that is correct because at the back of my mind I am fairly certain that it happened recently but I wont argue.

I am fairly certain, but not 100%, that last season a ref issued a yellow card and the FA changed it saying that the offense that the yellow card was issued for was an automatic red as in this case.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
The Large One said:
It was the linesman who saw it, Figo did it while the ref's back was turned.

The only thing I can think of was that the lino was at some distance and didn't see how hard the headbutt was, but even then the intent ought to have been enough for a red card.

Did the lino liaise with the ref? Didn't see that.. if he did then fair enough, but the Tv clearly showed that the ref didn't see it.

If we get knocked out due to Figo's influence it will be a disgrace.. right up there alongside Koeman's non-dismissal in the Graham Taylor England game v Holland.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
BensGrandad said:

As joey jo etc has pointed out, FIFA cannot act on an offence if a ref has already punished the player for it. To claim it's some conspiracy is truly pathetic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here