Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] FFS Tony Bloom

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
There was a £30m striker on the pitch yesterday - Rodrigo .
PL Goals this season - 0.
Goals last season - 7.
So we shouldn’t sign a striker because Rodrigo hasn’t hit the ground running or Joe Linton is crap ??? How come no one mentions the ones that do work out like Jimanez at Wolves £30m very well spent.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
For a gambler he seems very risk averse in coughing up for a striker. Embarrassing up top again.

I feel for Maups and I appreciate his running but **** me he’s shit. The Guardian even running an article about his history of shocking misses. Unacceptable.

Not potters fault. I don’t condone the boos at the end but I also think perhaps GP didn’t quite understand them / the frustration. A boo doesn’t quite do it justice. I would have gone with a collective sigh. Maybe would have been more accurate.

Yet another game we should have won (against a bottom 6 team) and we’re trudging off with a point. Amazed Trossard stays motivated. Mooy couldn’t be arsed. It’s not just our points we need to worry about now - also keeping the rest of the squad happy. Must be so demoralising watching some mug spurn chance after chance.

This line gets trotted out again and again.
He isn't a gambler, he's a statistician who understands the edges in the gambling market.

Sure he makes huge profits in the gambling industry and is a successful poker player, but that isn't because he likes to take a punt on big risks.

The reason we don't sign the striker, everyone seems to want, is precisely because the risk to reward balance is so heavily stacked against it.
The risk to reward ratio of investing in an academy/training facilities/talented management/youth prospects far exceeds the "just sign a proven striker" approach.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Ings cost Stains £20m.

The “we’re not in the market for the Salah’s” argument is deliberately selective.

Colossal sums wasted in fees and wages on Jahanbakhsh, Andone and Locadia.

We have a 17 year old unit called Evan Ferguson who has scored 8 goals in 14 games for the U23s.
Surely he would have been a better option than Locadia ?

Perhaps he wasn't fit yesterday but worth a punt off the bench soon ?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Sometimes you just have to pay a bit more for something that's better, biscuits are a bit cheaper than strikers but you know what I mean Tone.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The reason we don't sign the striker, everyone seems to want, is precisely because the risk to reward balance is so heavily stacked against it.
The risk to reward ratio of investing in an academy/training facilities/talented management/youth prospects far exceeds the "just sign a proven striker" approach.

I don’t buy this statement there are risks to all player purchase as we have seen with AJ, The DJ and a number of midfielders on our books we paid £10-15m for as showing promise but remain gambles

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Please please please get us a Premier League quality striker

What is a PL quality striker ? Do you mean someone from another country but in a top ten league like Belgium or Holland whose scoring lots of goals . That will probably cost around £25m and be a huge risk because many don’t adapt to the pace & physicality of the PL .

Do you mean a striker from a top 5 European league like France or Italy . That would cost a lot more around £35-45m with a salary way out of our budget on circa £100k a week plus . Still a risk they won’t settle in the PL.

Do you mean a striker whose done really well in the championship- like Maupay …

I could go on and on . My point is it’s not that simple and people that think we just need to spunk a lot of money on a well known striker , and bust our salary budget to get him because that will make everything alright are deluded and have little understanding of how to successfully run a PL club unless you have massive financial resources like Man City or Chelsea etc

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
He isn't a gambler, he's a statistician who understands the edges in the gambling market.

Sure he makes huge profits in the gambling industry and is a successful poker player, but that isn't because he likes to take a punt on big risks.

In your opinion.

There is a lot to be said for trying to sign a player remotely capable of putting the ball in the net, and believe it or not I am in the “if you build it they will come approach”. I do question, when you say risk to reward, what the understanding of reward is. Goals or making money? I suspect TBs emphasis is on the later. Understandable, since he’s owed a few quid but we shouldn’t allow the academy project to belie the fact we need goals. Football, innit?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

Spot on - saying that if a so called proven striker that fits the clubs profile , and they are happy with the price , wages demands etc becomes available I’m sure we would look seriously at him .

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
We have a 17 year old unit called Evan Ferguson who has scored 8 goals in 14 games for the U23s.
Surely he would have been a better option than Locadia ?

Perhaps he wasn't fit yesterday but worth a punt off the bench soon ?

I am pretty sure Evan will get a few sub appearances next year to evaluate if he needs to go out on loan season 22/23. Looks so strong and powerful for a 17 year old.
It would be wonderful for all if he was Rooney'esc like and hit the ground running in the first team.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I don’t buy this statement there are risks to all player purchase as we have seen with AJ, The DJ and a number of midfielders on our books we paid £10-15m for as showing promise but remain gambles

It's the risk to reward piece you are ignoring.
Paying £10-£15m is entry level for experienced top level European players with potential.

The level of risk to reward ratio, is much higher in the "Proven in the Premier League" strikers market.
It's also pretty high in the "Proven in British football market".
i.e. the outlay is much higher whereas the likelihood of success isn't so much.

AJ and DJ came in as high-ish transfer fees but fit in with our £50k pw pay structure.
They were absolutely top end transfers for us. Which failed.
Had either of those players banged in the goals in the championship and not the Eredivisie, their salary expectations would have been much higher.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We all know the hit and miss nature of signing strikers at this level but ‘do nothing’ is not an option if the club genuinely wants to push on.

Personally I feel another striking option is an absolute must .

Agreed. Presumably why club actively chased strikers from Italy and Portuguese leagues in the summer window. And sign anyone at any cost is not an option for Bloom either. - given the risk (Rodrigo for example).

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It's the risk to reward piece you are ignoring.
Paying £10-£15m is entry level for experienced top level European players with potential.

The level of risk to reward ratio, is much higher in the "Proven in the Premier League" strikers market.
It's also pretty high in the "Proven in British football market".
i.e. the outlay is much higher whereas the likelihood of success isn't so much.

AJ and DJ came in as high-ish transfer fees but fit in with our £50k pw pay structure.
They were absolutely top end transfers for us. Which failed.
Had either of those players banged in the goals in the championship and not the Eredivisie, their salary expectations would have been much higher.

I don’t think we should or expect us to be in the proven PL striker market as that is out of our structure.

However £20-£25m plus high wages is the entry point for strikers with potential but we are not even in that market at the moment.

We seem to have no issue with the risk reward of multiple £15m + PL wages on midfield potential but not on a single striker. Slightly more risk but infinitely more reward if it comes off.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Exactly my point, money was available we spent it on prospects.
Youve said in a previous post before the one above that it was a pathetic window.

What would you have done as you clearly know how to run a football club and full of criticism of the club?

I take it you have all the figures available to you?

You will now come back with somtething like, "Its not my job" so let's be hyperthetical.

What striker would you have bought?

How much would you have paid?

How much wages per week would you give him?

You appear to know a lot more than the rest of us so put up or shut up!

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Agreed. Presumably why club actively chased strikers from Italy and Portuguese leagues in the summer window. And sign anyone at any cost is not an option for Bloom either. - given the risk (Rodrigo for example).
Pretty sure we did that with Locadia.

Well I hope we did because surely no-one could have watched him play before we signed him.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
In your opinion.

There is a lot to be said for trying to sign a player remotely capable of putting the ball in the net, and believe it or not I am in the “if you build it they will come approach”. I do question, when you say risk to reward, what the understanding of reward is. Goals or making money? I suspect TBs emphasis is on the later. Understandable, since he’s owed a few quid but we shouldn’t allow the academy project to belie the fact we need goals. Football, innit?

I actually typed that poorly.
It should have said :
"The value of the risk to reward ratio is much higher,
I assume you would still take issue with the statement.

I don't think it is an opinion though
I think it's just maths/statistics.

The cost of building an academy and employing elite level management, to develop good prospects, is far cheaper than, competing for proven players, at the top end of the market.
The likelihood of success in goals/income goes the other way, but not enough to outweigh the levels of risk.

I'm pretty sure this, or something like it, is the maths which drives TB's vision.

I agree that, for example, Palace prove the fact that there is something in the signing from the proven player market.
However when it comes to strikers, their most successful player remains someone they developed in the first place.
It also hasn't provided any income to make the project sustainable. ( not that ours has either, yet)

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
And who else? This is what I'm saying, a £20 million and above striker does not guarantee goals, ots a case of being lucky.
Wilson would of been ideal for us and could probably guarantee 15 goals a season if he stayed fit. Josh King a free transfer would be an improvement on what we have.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It is a bit of a myth that TB doesnt sign any strikers.

This season he bought one - Sima - for £8m, and also Sarmiento who isnt mainly a striker but able to play up front. But lets keep it straight: he bought Sima.

Last season: Zeqiri and Welbeck.

The season before that: Maupay.

Before that: Andone, and before that Locadia.

Not(?) to forget Percy Tau.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I don’t think we should or expect us to be in the proven PL striker market as that is out of our structure.

However £20-£25m plus high wages is the entry point for strikers with potential but we are not even in that market at the moment.

We seem to have no issue with the risk reward of multiple £15m + PL wages on midfield potential but not on a single striker. Slightly more risk but infinitely more reward if it comes off.

You don't think we are prepared to pay £40 - £50k per week?
I suspect you are very wrong there.

Locadia/AJ/Andone were all suspected to be on exactly that kind of salary.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm feeling like this as well.

Take the u23 strikers and put them in the first team squad.

Take the first team strikers and put them .... well anywhere really, just not on the pitch.

The absolute worst that can happen is that we'll give a real learning experience to our promising young player.

It doesn't matter if they're not ready, and it doesn't matter if it wasn't the plan to bring them through yet. Sometimes you have to change the plan

It does matter if they're not ready. If they're not ready, put down two or three bad performances, they will be slaughtered. "Look at Evan missing that chance, he'll play non-league football in three years!", "Look at Tolaj missing that pass just two days after uploading Instagram photos of him smiling! POOR ATTITUDE. GET RID". Shit like that can ruin a young man. They have to be in the vicinity of ready, not least mentally.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here