Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ferguson sacked!

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Peterboro strike me as a club that has been punching above its weight for a while now, all courtesy of a very good young manager with an eye for new talent and playing attacking football. They are a mediocre provincial team at best playing in a fairly dated 15000 capacity stadium. They are averaging around 9000 for home games. Overall if you compare the two teams I think the Albion would be an exciting prospect for Ferguson. New state of the art stadium, a chairman with some money (presumably he hasn't spunked it all on the new stadium). I'd snap him up in an instant. Get after him Bloom.

Reading Posh

Sophisticated rhetorician
Jul 8, 2003
Off M4 J11
Peterboro strike me as a club that has been punching above its weight for a while now, all courtesy of a very good young manager with an eye for new talent and playing attacking football. They are a mediocre provincial team at best playing in a fairly dated 15000 capacity stadium. They are averaging around 9000 for home games. Overall if you compare the two teams I think the Albion would be an exciting prospect for Ferguson. New state of the art stadium, a chairman with some money (presumably he hasn't spunked it all on the new stadium). I'd snap him up in an instant. Get after him Bloom.
Define while.

We've been a shithole club for as long as I've followed them... except for the last two years when Ferguson has had the side playing the best football we've seen in generations.

Yes Macantony's money has brought in the raw talent (mainly Conference) but it was Ferguson that got them playing. He was coerced into a 4-year contract in July when Reading came sniffing and now he's been f***ed off the payroll in the first week of November.

Un-f***ing-believable.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Let's be honest here, he was f***ing brilliant in The League of Gentlemen. Here he managed something you never see in real life, a smile.

Steve_Pemberton_in_the_London_production_of_The_Drowsy_Chaperone,_photo_by_Catherine_Ashmore.jpg

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Define while.

We've been a shithole club for as long as I've followed them... except for the last two years when Ferguson has had the side playing the best football we've seen in generations.

Yes Macantony's money has brought in the raw talent (mainly Conference) but it was Ferguson that got them playing. He was coerced into a 4-year contract in July when Reading came sniffing and now he's been f***ed off the payroll in the first week of November.

Un-f***ing-believable.

I feel for you mate. Do you think there is more to it than league position?

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Define while.

Un-f***ing-believable.

Yeah but it makes those promotions oh so sweet doesn't it. When you don't have much success it is all the better when you do get it.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
it was reported late last week that ferguson would be sacked over the weekend that is why i put his name forward as a possible manager who could do a good job for us in the post southgate why not,although at the time did not believe he would be sacked

Reading Posh

Sophisticated rhetorician
Jul 8, 2003
Off M4 J11
I feel for you mate. Do you think there is more to it than league position?
Possibly. The chairman definitely fancies himself as a talent spotter and may have had views about team selection that led to a bust up. Confidentiality agreements will mean we'll never know.

Yeah but it makes those promotions oh so sweet doesn't it. When you don't have much success it is all the better when you do get it.
Congratulations on earning your Degree in the Bleedin' Obvious. I was (over)reacting to your assertion that Posh had been punching above their weight for a while. We've been in The Championship for 16 games and I'm still pinching myself at playing teams like Newcastle.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Boro's chairman is in the running for Loser of the Year. To sack a manager who has taken a mediocre club to back to back promotions beggars belief. Relegation for Posh a 99% certainty now. Wonder if Mr Bloom has revised his selection process in include Fergie Jnr, I bloody hope so.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Oh I did thanks. So what you are now saying is a potless and caotic club like ours should also be moralistic and sanctamonious in the selection of managers?

Have you heard the saying beggars cant be choosers?

Unlike some on here I'm not trying to tell anyone else how to do their job. I'm merely stating a personal preference that I'd rather not have someone who I have an extremely low opinion of as our manager. Is that so difficult for some people to understand?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Why is that so hard to believe? It's not that I'm anything special, it's that in my opinion 80% of our supporters could have run the club better from a football point of view over recent years.

What arrogance!

In my opinion, 99% of the club's supporters wouldn't know where to start to run the club, let alone do it better.

I've played a lot of football, coached, and run a very successful non-football business for most of my working life and none of that qualifies me to think I could run the club better.

How are you qualified?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Haven't read the whole thread so don't know if this has been asked before...but are we now likely to be in competition with Peterborough for any of our managerial targets..guess we will as we have so many alleged targets

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
What arrogance!

In my opinion, 99% of the club's supporters wouldn't know where to start to run the club, let alone do it better.

I've played a lot of football, coached, and run a very successful non-football business for most of my working life and none of that qualifies me to think I could run the club better.

How are you qualified?

I don't often defend TCB but I think people are jumping in without really understanding his point. Whilst it might come across as arrogant/misinformed, I don't think he was literally suggesting that he could run a football club better, with all the day-to-day behind the scenes work that entails. Rather, I think he means that the managerial decisions and some of the transfers allowed (ie. allowing Adams to sign 20+ players) were clearly poor decisions that a lot of even us laymen wouldn't have made. I dunno!

As for Ferguson - a better name than some of the possibles but still not entirely convinced.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
If this is true it's perhaps the most astonishing sacking I've ever known. He took a Posh team that'd been going nowhere for years, to back-to-back promotions. The relationship he had with McAnthony, The Chairman, seemed one of the most sound in football. It is unbelievable.
Regarding a couple of points raised in this thread; Peterborough was his first job in management. I backed Peterborough two seasons running, presuming that his father would send a lot of talented youngsters on loan. I'm not aware of any manu players going to London Road in the two and half years Ferguson has been there. I made a good profit despite my logic proving faulty.
Finally, if Ferguson is available, he blows every other name out of the water. If Bloom can persuade him to go to the South coast then (despite some nasty personal traits) it must be Darren Ferguson.

Spot on! It should be just a matter of if he'll come down here (without asking for ridiculous wages)!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here