Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fergie - how will he be remembered?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
When all's said and done it's his record that people will look at. None of the other stuff will matter.

But that's not true, is it? Bobby Robson never won the European Cup / Champions League, he lost a World Cup semi-final too but the way in which he conducted himself throughout his career shows how, in this money-obsessed football world, it CAN and SHOULD be done.

Robson made football a better sport and engendered love for the game, I think Ferguson's direction of his club has turned people off the sport and they have less love for the game.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Regarding the signings though he made 2 British transfer record signings in veron and berbatov which were just extreme wastes of money.

I'm sorry but that's bollocks. Berbatov was quality last year, set up more goals than ANYONE else in the Prem. He has a different role at United to that at Spurs, but every game he links up play excellently.

30million is a lot but not certainly not a waste in a world where DARREN BENT goes for around 18million.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Robson made football a better sport and engendered love for the game, I think Ferguson's direction of his club has turned people off the sport and they have less love for the game.

I think that's true. I know that one of the major factors in my turning against the Prem was when Man U decided not to defend the FA Cup in favour of earning extra cash in some tinpot tournament. I know that that probably wasn't Fergie's decision on his own but such was his power that if he'd said "No, we're going to defend the cup", there's no way the board would have gone against him,

For me that was the day that football died a bit - and I don't think I've my love for it has fully come back.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Certainly doesnt deserve a minutes silence, he is a complete and utter wanker, and if there was a minutes silence/applause i would most likely make of point of not obeying it because i dislike the **** that much :angry:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Oh and let me clarify, i recognise he is a very good manager, but the way he conducts himself in justs bout every other way is jut disgraceful, i wouldnt be at all dissapointed or upset to see him fall ill with cancer

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'm sorry but that's bollocks. Berbatov was quality last year, set up more goals than ANYONE else in the Prem. He has a different role at United to that at Spurs, but every game he links up play excellently.

30million is a lot but not certainly not a waste in a world where DARREN BENT goes for around 18million.

You mean darren bent who Is the top english goalscorer this year and scored 17 last year makig him 4th (I think) top scorer in the league?

Good example, well presented.

Bhafcman

1958-Forever
Apr 19, 2009
the way some people post on here you'd think ferguson has wronged them personally:shrug:

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
Remembered purely as - that ginger hair bitch who married Prince Andrew. . . . .

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You mean darren bent who Is the top english goalscorer this year and scored 17 last year makig him 4th (I think) top scorer in the league?

Good example, well presented.

Darn it. Bad example RIGHT NOW. But Berbatov WAS absolute quality last year and continues to be quality, so I stand by my original comment.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Oh and let me clarify, i recognise he is a very good manager, but the way he conducts himself in justs bout every other way is jut disgraceful, i wouldnt be at all dissapointed or upset to see him fall ill with cancer

what a lovely man you are.....you have the audacity to say Ferguson conducts himself disgracefully and then come out with that bile

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
I think that's true. I know that one of the major factors in my turning against the Prem was when Man U decided not to defend the FA Cup in favour of earning extra cash in some tinpot tournament. I know that that probably wasn't Fergie's decision on his own but such was his power that if he'd said "No, we're going to defend the cup", there's no way the board would have gone against him,

For me that was the day that football died a bit - and I don't think I've my love for it has fully come back.

It is well publicised that fergie was livid about that but it was an fa decision as they thought it would be good for our world cup bid.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It is well publicised that fergie was livid about that but it was an fa decision as they thought it would be good for our world cup bid.

Yeah right....

You mean that was the excuse concocted by the Man U publicity dept when they realised that a lot of fans were really unhappy about it.

If you think for one minute that Fergie would put England over Man U you must be really, really deluded. You only have to look at his tantrums when a Man U player plays internationals and is on the field for 2 minutes longer than expected to realise how crazy it is to suggest that Man U were interested in England's well being.

My memories of that is that the FA bent over double to get Man U to play in the FA Cup, even offering to postpone a round a week but the lure of money was too strong.

I've never heard anyone believing all that old flannel about Man U's decision being in England's best interest. Everyone else I knew laughed heartily at that when they came out with it.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Yeah right....

You mean that was the excuse concocted by the Man U publicity dept when they realised that a lot of fans were really unhappy about it.

If you think for one minute that Fergie would put England over Man U you must be really, really deluded. You only have to look at his tantrums when a Man U player plays internationals and is on the field for 2 minutes longer than expected to realise how crazy it is to suggest that Man U were interested in England's well being.

My memories of that is that the FA bent over double to get Man U to play in the FA Cup, even offering to postpone a round a week but the lure of money was too strong.

I've never heard anyone believing all that old flannel about Man U's decision being in England's best interest. Everyone else I knew laughed heartily at that when they came out with it.

Another person with an anti Man U agenda. Ferguson hates England, and thus would never do the FA a 'favour' unless his hands were tied, exactly.

Read the quotes in this.

United Disrespected The FA Cup? Thats What The Media Would Have You Believe!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

To be fair I don't think it was Man U's doing. The FA wanted them to compete in FIFA's world club thingy as they thought it would curry favour with FIFA and get us the 2006 World Cup. Consequently they debased the oldest football cup competition in the world.

As far as Fergie himself is concerned I'm probably more in the 'respect him' than 'hate him' camp. As has been pointed out he's a winner, but he hasn't just done it once, he's built team after team after team after team that have gone on winning trophies. Also he's always managed to rebuild at the top rather than allow the club to slip during a rebuilding phase; that in itself is a major achievment.

However he does overstep the mark too often for my liking. The mind games with rivals (Keegan being a classic) I can 'sort of' accept, but his recent outburst originally against Wiley and then followed by the pathetic half-arsed 'apology' (which also managed to include a slur on all referees) was sadly typical of his all-too-evident wankerish side.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
The FA Did Screw Us OverBut Do United Really Care About the FA Cup?

Ferguson quotes:

The pressure applied to persuade us to take part in Brazil was so strong we were made to feel it was a patriotic duty to go to South America,” said Ferguson. “Perhaps we should not have been too surprised to find that the men from the FA and Government who orchestrated that pressure somehow faded into the background, and behaved like mere bystanders once the media fastened on to the issue and it became clear that the absence of the trophy holders from the oldest knockout competition in football was being treated as a national scandal. All the quiet promises of official backing evaporated and we were left on our own as the convenient villains of the piece.” Ferguson went on to state that nobody at United had been interested in going to Brazil and were all too keen to participate in the FA Cup. “The truth is that I feel deeply for the FA Cup and the notion I would willingly belittle the competition is crazy. To the best of my knowledge, initially nobody at Manchester United was interested in going to Brazil. I have to say I was disappointed by how the FA and Government reacted, or failed to react, to the trouble their intervention stirred up around our heads. When all the flak was flying nothing was heard. How could they distance themselves like that?”

Think blaming him for that one is silly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here