Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fergie - how will he be remembered?

alex-ferguson-joke.jpg

:mad:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Interesting comment re Benitez's rant. Here are some of his selected comments from that outburst (Jan 09?). It's not sounding quite so mad.

"During the Respect campaign – and this is a fact – Mr Ferguson was charged by the FA for improper conduct after comments made about Martin Atkinson and Keith Hackett. He was not punished. He is the only manager in the league that cannot be punished for these things.

"We know what happens every time we go to Old Trafford and the United staff. They are always going man to man with the referees, especially at half-time when they walk close to the referees and they are talking and talking.

"All managers need to know is that only Mr Ferguson can talk about the fixtures, can talk about referees and nothing happens. We need to know that I am talking about facts, not my impression. There are things that everyone can see every single week.

"To hear someone talking about us when he has problems with referees every single week, and now complaining about the fixtures and complaining about everything, I think that is not fair.

"You can see every single week how they put [referees] under pressure, we know this. We have seen it before. We have seen players sent off at Old Trafford and we do not see our opponents sent off. It is part of the game. But to complain and to always have an advantage is not fair.

"We had a meeting in Manchester with managers and FA about the Respect campaign. And I was very clear, forget the campaign because Mr Ferguson was killing the referees, killing Mr Atkinson, killing Mr Hackett. But he is not punished. How can you talk about the respect campaign and criticise the referee every single week? You can analyse the facts and come to your own decision and ideas."

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The greatest

:bowdown:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Quite simply, he'll be remembered as the greatest manager that ever walked this planet.

To those who say he can only do it with money, I presume you're either on a wind-up or incredibly thick. All his previous jobs pre-United plus many YEARS at United were based on little or no money to spend. It's only since the financial side of the premiership exploded that they've splashed the cash - but why shouldn't they, when they make so much? And to those who say he's made bad signings, well every manager in the country makes bad signings every season, so someone's whose been at a club for over 20 years will clearly have made some too.

The man is an absolute genius and I'm just privileged to have been alive to see him at work. We'll never see another like him.

Regarding the signings though he made 2 British transfer record signings in veron and berbatov which were just extreme wastes of money. Every time he has had a big character they have left as they clash with his mentality, and his willingness to tap up players for ages like Hargreaves, but then throw a wobbly if anyone even looks at one of his players.

Yes people make bad signings, bit the sheer VALUE of his are STAGGERING and then he sells his best players like beckham and van nistlehorse far to soon.

I'm not doubting his is a good manager, but I think many could have managed united from 95 with as much success. Just my opinion like.

By you maybe but most people despise the bloke with every justification. The likes of Shankly and Busby were always respected but there's noway Fergie is.

Rose coloured glasses will see him standing with the best, inc Bob Paisley and Shankley, Busby et al.
Everyone likes to say that the old blokes had respect, that they were gents and could take the knocks. Matthews, Charlton and Dean were superior players to Hoddle, Lineaker, Beckham etc.
Because Banks, Hurst, Charlton and Moore were outstanding gentlemen of the game, they're eclipsing everyone since? I don't think it'll work that way - they were just the greats OF THEIR TIME and Ferguson is the greatest of OUR time. Was Clough a grand fellow who never upset anyone? Not bleeding likely! Do a couple of amusing quotes and anecdotes mean Bill Shankly is preserved as the level-headed even tempered stalwart that no-one else will match??

:laugh:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
As said, his record as a manager cannot be argued with.

But as a man, he is a petty, small-minded, ridiculously biased and an outright bully. He operates under the belief that because of his success he is untouchable and beyond reproach, and that no-one can question him. He uses these traits to gain advantage for him and his team. He deliberately sets out to intimidate officials in the knowledge that nobody stands up to him.

In short, as a professional at least, the bloke is a complete and utter arsehole.
Thats how I'll always remember him.

I think that effectively sums him up. It's great to have a career as a winner but, at what price ? I still remember when he couldn't be arsed to wait in a traffic jam and decided to use the hard shoulder.... when he was caught the only excuse he could find was that he was desperate to go to the toilet, which proves, he is full of shit

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Rose coloured glasses will see him standing with the best, inc Bob Paisley and Shankley, Busby et al.
Everyone likes to say that the old blokes had respect, that they were gents and could take the knocks. Matthews, Charlton and Dean were superior players to Hoddle, Lineaker, Beckham etc.
Because Banks, Hurst, Charlton and Moore were outstanding gentlemen of the game, they're eclipsing everyone since? I don't think it'll work that way - they were just the greats OF THEIR TIME and Ferguson is the greatest of OUR time. Was Clough a grand fellow who never upset anyone? Not bleeding likely! Do a couple of amusing quotes and anecdotes mean Bill Shankly is preserved as the level-headed even tempered stalwart that no-one else will match??

:laugh:

Touche

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Quite simply, he'll be remembered as the greatest manager that ever walked this planet.

To those who say he can only do it with money, I presume you're either on a wind-up or incredibly thick. All his previous jobs pre-United plus many YEARS at United were based on little or no money to spend.

I haven't paid a huge amount of attention to Ferguson, but I am pretty sure he spent (relatively) heavily from day one in the job. I seem to remember that he broke various transfer records in his first two/three years in charge of them.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Oh yes he will.
Just as John MacEnroe and Jimmy Connors are revered alongside names like Arthur Ashe and Bjorn Borg. He's not the same as those managers, but despite the differences he'll be remembered with such reverence.

Along those lines... A few months ago there was an interview on talksport with some golfing guy who talked about how unpopular Nick Faldo was, ho miserable etc. but as soon as he retired and he didn't need to focus and have that "screw everyone else, I'm going to win" attitude, let his guard down etc he became a lot more pleasant to be around, earned a lot more respect and admiration and is now mostly seen as a decent guy who had a great, successful career.

I think many of the things that turn lots of people (myself included) against Ferguson are the things that make him successful. When he retires he won't do them anymore, his true nature will come out, his softer, more human ide will come out. He'll show more respect for refs etc. and as such people will see him in a new light and will hold him in the same esteem as cloughy etc.

As for him using his influence, doesn't one of the backroom staff at man u hold an important role in the FA? And is it Fergie using his influence, or this person who's name I've forgotten?

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
As said, his record as a manager cannot be argued with.

But as a man, he is a petty, small-minded, ridiculously biased and an outright bully. He operates under the belief that because of his success he is untouchable and beyond reproach, and that no-one can question him. He uses these traits to gain advantage for him and his team. He deliberately sets out to intimidate officials in the knowledge that nobody stands up to him.

In short, as a professional at least, the bloke is a complete and utter arsehole.
Thats how I'll always remember him.

:thumbsup: Yup, couldn't agree more.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
John Barnes, a far better player than any of those mentioned above save for Schmeichel and Cantona, cost 900,000 in 1987. I mean 2.3m for Pallister?! The point is that Fergie spent much in those opening years - this idea that Martin Edwards had no money for him is hogwash.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Obviously Sir Alex divides opinion. You cannot argue with his managerial record, which is quite simply outstanding. But as a bloke, the guy appears to be a total cock - and that also forms part of a legacy, and whether you are remembered with respect or not.

The latest referee thing, and in particular the pathetic 'non-apology' apology, is just one of a list of times when he has shown himself up. The guy holds silly grudges, notably against the BBC, and I think I'm right in saying is the only manager probably in the world that doesn't answer questions from the written press after matches (MUTV only - what a grilling he gets there).

So overall, for which of these aspects will he be remembered? Titles or tantrums?
you have totally nailed him, perfectly put, could not agree more:bowdown:.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here