Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fergie - how will he be remembered?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Wouldn't disagree with that for a second, but do you think that the fact that he is a cu*t has contributed to him having such a good record. Could he have been as succesful whilst still being a nice guy?
dont know what bob paisley was like as a bloke but he was as succesful pro rata as ferguson for time spent in charge without being such a loudmouthed arrogant cock.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Titles by Manure fans, tantrums by everyone else.

He may be a winner, but then so he should be considering the vast resources at his disposal since he took the job. As a manager, I rate Clough higher - took much smaller clubs and gave them success.

As a man, he isn't fit to clean Bobby Robson's boots who was a true Knight of the realm.

Maradona is mentioned in this thread - what would Fergie's reaction to that have been? Not the dignified way that Robson reacted to it, that's for sure. And as far as I am concerned, Maradona was a cheat, so how he can be the best player ever is beyond me.

This is spot on. He's clearly a very good manager but Clough took a nothing football team and made them league champions ...and then did it again and made a nothing team league and European champions - all at a time when there was a truly competitive league. Shankly took a nothing team, won the league and cup a couple of times and laid the foundations for a period of utter dominance. Both of them are utterly revered at their teams and generally throughout football.

Ferguson has made the richest (or second richest) club in the world champions having taken over at a time when it was made easier for the richer clubs to dominate. He's had great success but will inspire little affection after he's gone.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I just wish the BBC would show some balls and force the scottish **** to give interviews as stipulated in the contract.
If this is indeed stipulated in the contract, then I agree 100%.

Even if it isn't, he's still a complete twat for refusing.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Being knocked by those that have a strong allegiance to one of the premiership clubs that he has regularly beaten/wound up. Understandable.
As memories fade and time heals, he will be remembered as the most successful manager ever.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not sure I agree. He does everything in his power, whether it be moaning, arguing or bullying to get his team an advantage - which is surely part of his job.

Its part of how he CHOOSES to do his job, but I don't think bullying and intimidating refs is something that is an acceptable oart of how he conducts himself.

Jeff Winter was saying in The Times yesterday that Ferguson would routinely wait in the corridor outside the dressing rooms for the referee, to unleash a foul-mouthed tirade of abuse at them with "very, very colourful language". He said as a ref, you could tell if you were in for in for a verbal bashing by the way he'd storm off along the touchline after the game. Ferguson would also wield influence on who he'd have to ref games. Jeff Winter sent off Roy Keane once, and didn't referee a Man Utd game again for over two years, despite regularly being given lots of other high profile games involving the other three teams in the 'big 4'.

Ferguson IS a great manager, there's no disputing that. But he will not be remembered with much affection outside of OT and the brainwashed Sky Sports barflys.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Ferguson IS a great manager, there's no disputing that. But he will not be remembered with much affection outside of OT and the brainwashed Sky Sports barflys.

And his fellow managers apparently, judging by an interesting article I read in the Times the other day, about the "other side to Alex Ferguson". It mentioned the respect many have for a man who shares a quiet drink with them after games, who often rings a struggling manager to offer advice, support and sometimes even a loan signing.

I imagine the average fan will remember him as something of a bit of an annoying genius. I know I will anyway.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Its part of how he CHOOSES to do his job, but I don't think bullying and intimidating refs is something that is an acceptable oart of how he conducts himself.

Jeff Winter was saying in The Times yesterday that Ferguson would routinely wait in the corridor outside the dressing rooms for the referee, to unleash a foul-mouthed tirade of abuse at them with "very, very colourful language". He said as a ref, you could tell if you were in for in for a verbal bashing by the way he'd storm off along the touchline after the game. Ferguson would also wield influence on who he'd have to ref games. Jeff Winter sent off Roy Keane once, and didn't referee a Man Utd game again for over two years, despite regularly being given lots of other high profile games involving the other three teams in the 'big 4'.

Oh, I completely agree it is how he 'chooses' to conduct himself, but my point was that if thse in charge slapped him down a bit more (or earlier in his career), he probably wouldn't be so bad.

I wonder if those who are slating him, would have the same problems with him if he was in charge of the Albion.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I wonder if those who are slating him, would have the same problems with him if he was in charge of the Albion.

Of course they wouldn't.

As someone else on the thread has said, he will be rembered by United fans for the titles and by others for the repeated lack of class he shows. That's how things in football usually work.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Oh yes he will.
Just as John MacEnroe and Jimmy Connors are revered alongside names like Arthur Ashe and Bjorn Borg. He's not the same as those managers, but despite the differences he'll be remembered with such reverence.

By you maybe but most people despise the bloke with every justification. The likes of Shankly and Busby were always respected but there's noway Fergie is.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
One thing you do hear from some other managers is how generous he is with his time, helping them, glass of wine after the match etc.

HOWEVER, they do TEND to be managers whose teams have just left the pitch after another gubbing at Old Trafford (Curbishley, Allardyce, Redknapp to name but three). He is far less generous with real rivals.

He even seems to like Mourinho now. No coincidence that he has left the country.

Last edited:

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
He also apparently 'likes' Wenger just as it becomeas apparent they aren't genuine title contenders.

Rafa got a lot of criticism for his ant-Fergie tirade but a lot of what he said was absolutely spot-on.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
He also apparently 'likes' Wenger just as it becomeas apparent they aren't genuine title contenders.

Rafa got a lot of criticism for his ant-Fergie tirade but a lot of what he said was absolutely spot-on.

Fact.

All the 'not liking stuff' is just his way of mind games - makes him look a bit of a prick sometimes though

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
pram.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here