Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fergie - how will he be remembered?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Obviously Sir Alex divides opinion. You cannot argue with his managerial record, which is quite simply outstanding. But as a bloke, the guy appears to be a total cock - and that also forms part of a legacy, and whether you are remembered with respect or not.

The latest referee thing, and in particular the pathetic 'non-apology' apology, is just one of a list of times when he has shown himself up. The guy holds silly grudges, notably against the BBC, and I think I'm right in saying is the only manager probably in the world that doesn't answer questions from the written press after matches (MUTV only - what a grilling he gets there).

So overall, for which of these aspects will he be remembered? Titles or tantrums?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As said, his record as a manager cannot be argued with.

But as a man, he is a petty, small-minded, ridiculously biased and an outright bully. He operates under the belief that because of his success he is untouchable and beyond reproach, and that no-one can question him. He uses these traits to gain advantage for him and his team. He deliberately sets out to intimidate officials in the knowledge that nobody stands up to him.

In short, as a professional at least, the bloke is a complete and utter arsehole.
Thats how I'll always remember him.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells

But as a man, he is a petty, small-minded, ridiculously biased and an outright bully. He operates under the belief that because of his success he is untouchable and beyond reproach, and that no-one can question him. He uses these traits to gain advantage for him and his team. He deliberately sets out to intimidate officials in the knowledge that nobody stands up to him.

In short, as a professional at least, the bloke is a complete and utter arsehole.

agree 100%

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He'll be considered one of the great ever managers but with a reputation tarnished forever.

It's like Pele v Maradona. Arguably Maradona was the greatest player ever, but he was a cheat on and off the pitch.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think if he had mellowed in his last few seasons and cut out the unjustified criticism, some of the sillier mind-games, the blanking of certain sections of the media then his legacy might have been right up there with Shankly, Nicholson, Busby and Clough.

Unfortunately, he seems destinated to be respected but not loved. Stuff like his attack on Alan Wiley are all part of his method of achieving his goals - I think f***ing people off actually gives him a kick.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
He signed berbatov for 30million
he signed veron for 30 million
he sold forlan( who then became euroes top scorer 3 times over)
he sold piqué to Barcelona
he sold beckham
he sold van nistlehorse
he plays wes brown
he thinks ben foster is good
he paid 20 million for Hargreaves
he bought barthez
he bought taibi
he bought djemba djemba
he bought kleberson
he bought Valencia for nearly 20 million
he sold guiseppi rossi (immense)
he smells of poo

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God

Wouldn't disagree with that for a second, but do you think that the fact that he is a cu*t has contributed to him having such a good record. Could he have been as succesful whilst still being a nice guy?

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Agree with a lot of the above but, away from the pitch, he is capable of generosity - didn´t he write a letter in support of Falmer for instance?

I don´t enjoy some of the outbursts but some of the stunts he has pulled against other bosses over the years have been amusing.

My main criticism would be his refusal to speak to the BBC which has led a lot of journalists to have a fawning attitude towards him.

What he did at Aberdeen was immense.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Titles by Manure fans, tantrums by everyone else.

He may be a winner, but then so he should be considering the vast resources at his disposal since he took the job. As a manager, I rate Clough higher - took much smaller clubs and gave them success.

As a man, he isn't fit to clean Bobby Robson's boots who was a true Knight of the realm.

Maradona is mentioned in this thread - what would Fergie's reaction to that have been? Not the dignified way that Robson reacted to it, that's for sure. And as far as I am concerned, Maradona was a cheat, so how he can be the best player ever is beyond me.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Not sure I agree. He does everything in his power, whether it be moaning, arguing or bullying to get his team an advantage - which is surely part of his job. the fact the he is allowed to get away with it is not his fault, it's the lawmakers who should be taken to task.

One thing I have heard a lot is that he helps a lot of other lower managers, I know Curbishley often says this.

Can't say I like him, but you can't argue with his medals.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I'm amazed so many people dislike him. But then NSC is hardly a decent reflection of usual opinion!

To be honest, most managers complain, most try to manipulate situations- it's only because Sir Alex wins competitions and is always in the media that you hear his stories.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
He'll be remembered alright but despite his successes he'll never be revered like Busby or Shankly and even for that matter, Brian Clough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here