Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ferdi Kadioglu **Singed 27/08/24**

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
Morning all.

I, too, would love this to happen but are we likely to get our man here? Seemingly a number of clubs (including The Arse) making enquiries. Anyone got something hope-shaped I can hang on to until further notice?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
No the transfer fee will also be paid in instalments. The exact structure will differ between each transfer. Transfer fees are almost never paid upfront in full, certainly not at the fees we are now paying and receiving.
You're right.

But the implication of what you are saying, is that this summer, we're likely having to wire over millions for Joao Pedro, Verbruggen, plus probably not insignificant residual amounts for players we've signed in summers before.

I'm sure this mini splurge is a bit of a test of Tony's liquidity. But I think the sheer quantity of money we've received from Chelsea means that the cash is there to pay it without having to resort to external loans for any period of time

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Morning all.

I, too, would love this to happen but are we likely to get our man here? Seemingly a number of clubs (including The Arse) making enquiries. Anyone got something hope-shaped I can hang on to until further notice?
The twitter accounts promoting this story have huge followings:

IMG_5199.jpeg

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
You're right.

But the implication of what you are saying, is that this summer, we're likely having to wire over millions for Joao Pedro, Verbruggen, plus probably not insignificant residual amounts for players we've signed in summers before.

I'm sure this mini splurge is a bit of a test of Tony's liquidity. But I think the sheer quantity of money we've received from Chelsea means that the cash is there to pay it without having to resort to external loans for any period of time

I don’t see there being any problems. As we pay our instalments for likes of Bart and Pedro. The likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea will paying their instalments into our accounts for the players we’ve sold them. That will keep the cash flowing smoothly.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I don’t see there being any problems. As we pay our instalments for likes of Bart and Pedro. The likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Chelsea will paying their instalments into our accounts for the players we’ve sold them. That will keep the cash flowing smoothly.
Agreed, in total more has come in than gone out, which means we should be able to cover it.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
No the transfer fee will also be paid in instalments. The exact structure will differ between each transfer. Transfer fees are almost never paid upfront in full, certainly not at the fees we are now paying and receiving.

Thanks for clarifying, never really thought about it until recently now that our spend levels have jumped up into tens of millions each. Bloody hell, with the tens and hundreds of millions thrown about, we need one hell of an Accounts Dept to make it all tick. Being self employed small business is hard enough.

It's so exciting BHAFC being linked with 'stars' of the Euros. Still doesn't sink in.

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
You are being let off with a warning for future good behaviour, failure to do so will result in "Chelsea Plastic" being added under your signature 😀

But seriously, I'm always confused by this. Yes the 'cost' on the books is spread over the 4 or 5 years of a contract for PSR purposes. However in reality, hasn't the Accounts Dept at BHAFC HQ wire transferred £71,500,000 out of our petty cash, into the accounts of Feynoord, Newcastle and Nordswhatever?

I'm just looking at it from available spends/ TBMBE investment point of view having to spunk the cash as I'd assume we're so far from PSR worries that it's not an issue.

I don't believe amortisation has anything to do with the payment of the fee, its more to do with the value of the player at the of the contract. I'm very much a layman here but my understanding is (for example):

1) In Year 1 you buy a player for £50m on a 5 year contract. The results in a $50m hit to your bank balance on your accounts, but also a $50m asset (the player)
2) At the end of the 5 year contract the player (asset) is worth nothing, because he can walk away for free (unless of course he signs a new contract in the meantime, which would reset everything)
3) The purpose of amortisation is to spread that £50m loss over the entire contract (so £10m a year) rather having to take a £50m hit in year 5.

There's plenty of people far more knowledgeable about this stuff than me on here, but this is how it works in my brain !

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
You're right.

To give you a sense of where we are in terms of transfer ££ out and transfer ££ in , according to the 22/23 accounts published a few months ago.
ie: everyone pays for transfers in instalments.

"Brighton's transfer debt, for outstanding instalments on transfer fees, increased from £39m to £49m, the highest ever for the club. However, they are owed £137m by other clubs, so there is a substantial net receivable of £88m."

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
re: a "splurge" on transfer fees. Is it really that different from , say , last season? Last summer we paid a considerable amount on Pedro, Igor, Ansu Fati (in wages at least), Verbruggen and Baleba .
(and Milner, Dahoud etc)

Is that so different from Wieffer, Minteh, Dalcouye, and this Turkish fella.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
35 million euros means they'll settle for 30.

Will we pay it? I wouldn't rule it out.
I think we’d pay it. We were so very poor on the right side in an attacking sense with March, Lamptey and Hinsh injured. All three still have fitness questions marks. We need to pay the money for top quality imho.

In terms of additional revenue to help fund this, I think we’re selling at least 6 of the current squad this summer. But the following 2 summers in ‘25 & ‘26 should yield some top money as established stars leave.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think we’d pay it. We were so very poor on the right side in an attacking sense with March, Lamptey and Hinsh injured. All three still have fitness questions marks. We need to pay the money for top quality imho.

In terms of additional revenue to help fund this, I think we’re selling at least 6 of the current squad this summer. But the following 2 summers in ‘25 & ‘26 should yield some top money as established stars leave.
Gross and Undav are presumably exiting for starters and for what looks like a total of £35-40m.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here