Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Pub in Brighton & Hove?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Selection of sawts behind the bar in The Hikers often on matchdays.

That does not surprise me in the slightest. Im sure Shaun enjoyed the interview process! Not sure his wife would have done tho.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I lived just off St James' Street before moving to Hanover (then here!) and I used to drink in The Royal Oak, called The Oak now.
It was always good and ,like has already been mentioned, everyone had a nickname.
The place was full of characters who mixed well and there was never any trouble, had more than a few lock ins to.
I frequented the Greys etc. after I moved, but would often wander back on a regular basis.
I suppose there's no accounting for taste.
I don't know if it is still there, probably changed out of all recognition now.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Still the Oak but now (last eight months) leased by Blue from the Basketmakers.

Andy the scouser still had it last time I heard, though they were going through tough times.
Hope he and the old crew are ok wherever they are.
Who knows they may have kept some of the staff on.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
For anybody complaining the gentrification of pubs... they should try a little London Road/Level pub crawl comprising:

The Bat and Ball
The Northern Tavern
The Branch Tavern
The Mitre

Actually The Mitre probably doesn't belong on that list, but the others are super unfriendly dumps.

It's a shame the Hop Poles has changed a bit... now that was a crackin' boozer!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A boozer I really like is The Neptune.

In general Hove is crap for pubs.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's a shame the Hop Poles has changed a bit... now that was a crackin' boozer!

It was, and whilst it's replacement is different I really like it. Great crowd as well, especially out the back (and I'm not making a witty historical reference here..I really do mean the garden).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Hang on a cotton-picking minute. Several things here. The William IV isn't for me at all. I'm not a big fan of old man pubs per se, I am just applauding the owners for not succumbing to the pressure of turning it into a trendy pub considering the location. I'm all for variety. And as for having a go at my music tastes, I'd like to think that they are a bit more eclectic than just obscure Scandinavian musicians.

Anyway, I don't understand your comment. Are you saying that because I have esoteric musical tastes that I should embrace all that is hipster and reject the mainstream, you mischievous little tinker.

I wasn't having a dig at all - your musical recommendations are one of the best things on NSC. But I was pointing out that someone who so willingly rejects the mainstream, as you put, shouldn't be too sniffy when others do it too.

The world is large enough for Albanian stout and wife beater; it can encompass Lay Low and Little Mix - and long may it continue.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
For anybody complaining the gentrification of pubs... they should try a little London Road/Level pub crawl comprising:

The Bat and Ball
The Northern Tavern
The Branch Tavern
The Mitre

Actually The Mitre probably doesn't belong on that list, but the others are super unfriendly dumps.

The Mitre's a decent pub. You can add the Northern Star to that list as well - and the Hydrant (Fox and Hounds as was).

On the other hand, the Mitre, World's End, Rose Hill Tavern and The Bugle would be a decent crawl. What's the Caroline of Brunswick like these days? It was called the Brunswick when I was last there and it was crap.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Mitre's a decent pub. You can add the Northern Star to that list as well - and the Hydrant (Fox and Hounds as was).

On the other hand, the Mitre, World's End, Rose Hill Tavern and The Bugle would be a decent crawl. What's the Caroline of Brunswick like these days? It was called the Brunswick when I was last there and it was crap.

In all of the unreconstructed pubs in Brighton, I can't believe that (seeing as we're talking about that neck of the woods) the Bat & Ball hasn't been mentioned. Jeez.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Battle of Trfalgar always has a place in my heart. Maybe not the best Brighton has to offer but good memories of that place.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
In all of the unreconstructed pubs in Brighton, I can't believe that (seeing as we're talking about that neck of the woods) the Bat & Ball hasn't been mentioned. Jeez.

I just mentioned it mate... see above. The Bat and Ball... a pub that's busier at 10.30am than 10.30pm!

The World's End is a strange one... it belongs on several lists. You get some absolute nutters in there, but the food is amazing and recommended in The Observer (Jay Raynor loves it). The Hydrant should be good... but isn't. I used to really like the Rose Hill Tavern in that neck of the wood, friendly, bit rough round the edges, nice boozy atmosphere.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Starting to get nostalgic now. I remember when the darts leagues were usually a two horse race between the County Oak and "The Bev"

Hang on a cotton-picking minute. Several things here. The William IV isn't for me at all. I'm not a big fan of old man pubs per se, I am just applauding the owners for not succumbing to the pressure of turning it into a trendy pub considering the location. I'm all for variety. And as for having a go at my music tastes, I'd like to think that they are a bit more eclectic than just obscure Scandinavian musicians.

Anyway, I don't understand your comment. Are you saying that because I have esoteric musical tastes that I should embrace all that is hipster and reject the mainstream, you mischievous little tinker.

p.s. check out Lay Low on Soundcloud. She's born in London, half-Sri Lankan, grew up in Reykjavik and plays country/folky blues Farewell Good Night's Sleep (2008) by lovisalaylow on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free :thumbsup:

You might find that with the pub trade becoming increasingly more difficult pubs are being forced into becoming more trendy as there may be no appetite for the "old man" type public house from the general public anymore.

I see that the Ye Olde Racehorse (Bib and Tucker) is up for sale and the rumour is that it's going to be turned into flats. Even this pub that had a makeover couldn't survive in today's market, so perhaps the answer is to have more traditional pubs on offer?

The pub I grew up in (The Sir Charles Napier) has a good mix of old and young people who drink there and I wouldn't say it's pretentious at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here