Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Genesis track

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
'Firth of Fifth', 'Los Endos/Dance on a Volcano' (all from 'Seconds Out'), 'The Knife' and 'Duke's Travels/Duke's End'. Oh and 'Domino'. And 'The Waiting Room'.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Anything in the Peter Gabriel years - the first couple of albums after he left sort of SOUNDED the same, but all the real creativity and spark had gone. The Fountain of Salmacis, best for me, plus Harold the Barrel and The Return of the Giant Hogweed.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Anything in the Peter Gabriel years - the first couple of albums after he left sort of SOUNDED the same, but all the real creativity and spark had gone. The Fountain of Salmacis, best for me, plus Harold the Barrel and The Return of the Giant Hogweed.

I sort of agree with you, but I felt that genesis at the time of Gabriel became the backing group for his antics, especially on stage. If you remember the giant hogweed, and his huge costumes, to be honest it detracted from the music, in fact banks and Rutherford when interviewed said exactly this. Whe. Collins took over, yes the band became more commercial, but again, the days of the progressive bands, greenslade, yes etc were coming to an end and they needed to reinvent themselves.

Collins had a superb voice and was widely acknowledged by the industry to be an excellent drummer....certainly him and chester Thomson provided a very tight unit. Bruford guesting also did the same.

My favourite albums are selling England by the pound and trick of the tail, although and then there were three had some great songs on it.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Genesis = Complete and utter tosh. I cannot find anything in their music that is either original or interesting.

That's one opinion I guess. Loads of people slag of genesis, nothing new. I'm taking my daughter to see one direction at the O2 in april, now that is unoriginal tosh if I have ever heard it. But each to their own, she likes them and if she liked genesis I would think she was odd.

Reminds me of a lads week on a boat on the Norfolk Broads in '82 or '83. Various heavy music tapes would soundtrack our drunken shenanigans but occasionally a Genesis track would appear on the compilation. One of our party, Phil, had musical tastes of which Nazareth was the sole concession to melody and subtlety, wherever he was on the boat a voice would boom out on these occassions -"Genesis, f***ing shit"!

Be that as it may any of their "what on earth are they on about" songs such as "I know what I like (in your wardrobe)" or "Squonk" get my vote.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Get 'em out by Friday, Supper's Ready, The Knife, The Cage, Carpet Crawlers. I'm another who's not a fan of the post-Gabriel years. Incidentally, are there any decent, non-European prog bands? I can't think of any....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here