Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Favourite Fish

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Weirder than Rock, it's Rock Salmon.
Maybe it sounds better than Dogfish, Huss must have come from Bullhuss but it's still a big Dogfish.
It's like Monkfish, sounds better than Angler fish.

Rock Salmon is Dogfish......Huss usually sold as Huss. My local chippy still sells both

Angler fish in one ugly mofo........monkfish sounds much nicer. Brilliant in a curry........

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Can confirm after our Maltese long weekend that the place is just the tops for fish.

Question for Maltasegull, have you been to the Fish Restaurant we found in St George's Bay called Paranga? If so what is your opinion because I thought it was brilliant. Found it second night and ate there for the rest of our stay!

Glad you enjoyed your visit.

No, I haven't been there. St Juliens/ Sliema are places we tend to avoid. Parking is a nightmare and we need 2 buses to get there.
We tend to go to Marxaxlok for fish as the restaurants get the fish straight off the boats as they come in and there are dozens of restaurants all competing for your business so lot's of deals.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Depends what part of the country you live in as for some reason the name Rock has many guises , i think rock down south in chip shops would of been Huss mainly the lesser spotted dogfish but sometimes the larger Bullhuss , iv'e no idea why they called it Rock rather than Huss , but it seemed to go out of fashion in the late 90s , being a member of the shark family perhaps humanity grew a conscience and stopped eating them , When i catch a Dogfish i try not to look at them when i unhook them as they have eyelids of sort and generally close their eyes during unhooking .

Thanks for that. I was talking about Sussex when I used to live there, I sort of remember it might have been dogfish, which having seen is, to me, a really beautiful animal but understand the name isn't something you might want to eat. I would have thought many might want to eat it for revenge! Are they common ie how often do you catch one?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Count the teeth on the rostrum of the prawn to sus whether they are Cornish local prawns (Palaemon best sea food bar Sussex local prawns) or frozen northern Pandalus prawns (freezing wrecks the taste).

Talking of freezing wrecking the taste, l ordered a 'legendary' cod and chips at Harry Ramsden's in Worthing for lunch yesterday, there was nothing 'legendary' about it. It was over cooked, and l've a feeling the fish may have been frozen, it was virtually tasteless.;

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
re
Talking of freezing wrecking the taste, l ordered a 'legendary' cod and chips at Harry Ramsden's in Worthing for lunch yesterday, there was nothing 'legendary' about it. It was over cooked, and l've a feeling the fish may have been frozen, it was virtually tasteless.;

The frozen fish caught off Newhaven is particularly fine.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-hidden-in-frozen-fish-cargo?CMP=share_btn_wa

“Police seize £10m of cocaine hidden in frozen fish cargo
Drug haul discovered in refrigerated van as it came off ferry at Newhaven, East Sussex“

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Thanks for that. I was talking about Sussex when I used to live there, I sort of remember it might have been dogfish, which having seen is, to me, a really beautiful animal but understand the name isn't something you might want to eat. I would have thought many might want to eat it for revenge! Are they common ie how often do you catch one?

Put it this way, they are not a species that many anglers deliberately set out to catch.
They can be a pain in the arse when you are hoping to catch a certain species of fish.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Cod. In batter. With chips, mushy peas, white bread and butter and a mug of tea.

One of THE greatest meals you can possibly eat.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales

We live in a part of Wales where they're considered a nuisance as they snaffle any bait that goes in the water, we have a good head of Dolphins that feed on them in the winter months so they stay all year round, basically if you want to catch one here you can.

That's a Dogfish by the way, not the Dolphins.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Harry Ramsdens are franchises so will vary greatly in their standards. Don't fall for the 'name'.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In the early 60s I worked in a fish shop for a few months and Rock Salmon was the fish bought by people for their pets and it real name was Coley. Huss was known as Huss in the south but dogfish elsewhere and bears no resemblance whatsover to Rock Salmon (Coley or Black Saith) Things may have changed with time but that is how I remember it.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Dover sole for me.

I was warned by a local fishmonger that Harry ramsden is like the McDonald’s of fish and chip shops. They use frozen fish stored for up to 3 months and don’t change their frying oil as often as they should.

Tried it once , about 3 years ago and he was right, fish tasted weird and the batter had a funny smell. Never again. Stick to a decent independent fish and chip shop .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The man-gobbler, also known as the football fish, manages to combine two of my favourite things in one package. She also comes with a whip which you can make use of if the situation seems propitious. It’s true that the female of the species is not much to look at, but I imagine she’s fairly low maintenance. Winner winner chicken dinner.

View attachment 117480

The inspiration for Davros? ???

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Harry Ramsdens are franchises so will vary greatly in their standards. Don't fall for the 'name'.

Oh don't worry, l realise that Harry Ramsden has had nothing to do with the business for donkey's years, and that the name is no more than a marketing tool now. That said, the wife was having her 'nails done' next door, and it was just the handiest place to pop into for a quick bite to eat.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In the early 60s I worked in a fish shop for a few months and Rock Salmon was the fish bought by people for their pets and it real name was Coley. Huss was known as Huss in the south but dogfish elsewhere and bears no resemblance whatsover to Rock Salmon (Coley or Black Saith) Things may have changed with time but that is how I remember it.

I would add that we supplied The Beach Hotel in Worthing so had a man employed just to fillet and prepare fish plus of course any that needed doing from shop customers. I used to take a bag of fish bones home to my then girlfriend, now my wife, and her dad was kept in fish stock plus I gave him the cod heads and from them he made his fishcakes. Those were the days and how times have changed.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I would add that we supplied The Beach Hotel in Worthing so had a man employed just to fillet and prepare fish plus of course any that needed doing from shop customers. I used to take a bag of fish bones home to my then girlfriend, now my wife, and her dad was kept in fish stock plus I gave him the cod heads and from them he made his fishcakes. Those were the days and how times have changed.

Was your father in law known as the 'CodFather'

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I really thought that Rock Salmon is Dogfish not Coley.
Coley is a poor relation to the Cod and not very tasty and I have a feeling it is Coalfish.
Another poor relation to the Cod is Pollack which is used a cheap Cod substitute these days in food.
I prefer Haddock to Cod, but in my opinion the best fish in the Cod family is Hake.
Anyhows I'm going to check this out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here