Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Conspiracy Theories.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
have you seen the first in this series of films at http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/?

i'm not saying it's the truth but it brings up a lot of interesting questions.

the only question brought up by zeitgiest is how do so many people believe in such films as fact when they have the internet to hand to verify those facts. it has about as much truth in it as a Dan Brown novel.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Think about it - this is a 'conspiracy' thread so just focus on that. Is it even remotely credible that for a bit of research funding, scientists would contrive a theory whose implications challenge the basis of the global economy, and against which nearly all the powerful vested interests in the world are aligned? That really is as likely as Prince Philip getting Lady Di killed.

Instead of it being a bit, it is actually mega millions for research for climatoligists and if they said no nothing much is happening and you don't have to worry about anything how much funding do you think they would get zilch. Yet if they say we are on the brink of an apocolypse, which they do. How much do you think they will get? It has almost become accepted within schools and on TV/film (Al Gore being lauded with Oscars etc. that) that man made Climate Change occurs. It is the believers that are backed up by all the institutions not non believers. If you don't believe in AGW you are regarded as a crank not the other way around.

In respect of this subject

Around 1975 it was called Global Cooling then when the data didn't fit this they changed its name

Around 1990 it was called Global Warming and then when the data didn't fit this they changed its name

Now in 2010 it is called climate change ..................

I wonder what they will be calling it in 2030? I suppose we will just have to wait and see which way the data goes I guess.

Yet they can't actually predict the weather/climate for much more than 5 days. Barbeque summers anyone?

We have always had natural climate change as well as we all know that the earth goes into and out of ice ages (and loads of data from ice cores etc shows colder and hotter periods within inter-glacial periods in the last 10,000 years). It was actually warmer in the UK in Roman times than it is now, we are just in the last 100 years coming out of a very cold period in the Northern Hemisphere. The climate changes all the time naturally.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Inspired by the Moon Landing Thread .

What's your favourites ? .

I think mine has to be David Icke's belief that the global ruling elite , including , the dear old queen mum ( RIP ): and presumably people like Obama and Blair , are really GIANT GREEN SPACE LIZARDS disguised as humans.

In his new book "Human Race Get Off Your Knees: The Lion Sleeps No More", David Icke reveals that the moon is actually hollow and is a giant spaceship where aliens control the minds of the entire human populous. I've ordered a copy as I find this quite feasible:thumbsup:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
have you seen the first in this series of films at http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/?

i'm not saying it's the truth but it brings up a lot of interesting questions.

That film is the biggest load of bollocks ever. Go on Zeitgeist Debunked. Literally 1% of that film has any shred of evidence/truth behind it whatsoever.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Sir Ian Blair actually told me the identity of Jack the Ripper. I proptly forgot, the name. I seem to remember it was a bloke - an immigrant who spent his latter days in a mental asylum. The Met have the details in their library, which is not accessable to the general public.

Leon KOSMINSKY?

Polish Jew, experienced Butcher and syphyllitic lunatic.

The smart money these days is usually on an American quack Dr. called Francis Tumblety who was known to be a "sexual lunatic" (Victorian terminology for a Gayer) who collected womens uterus' and stored them in formaldehyde.

He was the chief suspect before he legged it back to the USA where he disappeared for good...and of course the ripper crimes ceased.

The murders were becoming more and more chaotic over that summer and early autumn indicating a psychopath becoming increasingly deranged and probably behaving very oddly. Kosminsky was said to be foaming at the mouth when he was committed so it fits him too.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Instead of it being a bit, it is actually mega millions for research for climatoligists and if they said no nothing much is happening and you don't have to worry about anything how much funding do you think they would get zilch. Yet if they say we are on the brink of an apocolypse, which they do. How much do you think they will get? It has almost become accepted within schools and on TV/film (Al Gore being lauded with Oscars etc. that) that man made Climate Change occurs. It is the believers that are backed up by all the institutions not non believers. If you don't believe in AGW you are regarded as a crank not the other way around.

In respect of this subject

Around 1975 it was called Global Cooling then when the data didn't fit this they changed its name

Around 1990 it was called Global Warming and then when the data didn't fit this they changed its name

Now in 2010 it is called climate change ..................

I wonder what they will be calling it in 2030? I suppose we will just have to wait and see which way the data goes I guess.

Yet they can't actually predict the weather/climate for much more than 5 days. Barbeque summers anyone?

We have always had natural climate change as well as we all know that the earth goes into and out of ice ages (and loads of data from ice cores etc shows colder and hotter periods within inter-glacial periods in the last 10,000 years). It was actually warmer in the UK in Roman times than it is now, we are just in the last 100 years coming out of a very cold period in the Northern Hemisphere. The climate changes all the time naturally.

To keep it short: there's still nothing here to suggest a consipiracy. Yes, you can make a case that, now that there is overwhelming evidence, going against the grain could be bad financially for an academic (though not for their media profile, as the papers love to pretend that this stuff is contested!). But only in the same way that anyone with marginal views not supported by peer-reviewed work would be marginalised. That does not make a conspiracy. And why would academia - for its own financial well-being - have contrived evidence for a view with much more money and vested interest lined up against it?

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
That does not make a conspiracy. And why would academia - for its own financial well-being - have contrived evidence for a view with much more money and vested interest lined up against it?

Well isn't that what the Professor of East Anglia just been found to have done? Oh yeah and the head of the IPCC that said the Himalaya glaciers were going to melt by 2035? Is that not contriving evidence until they were found out?

Also do not delude yourself at all. There is much much much more money that goes into the belief that AGW is true. There are humungeous inter-governmental (at heads of state level) conferences about this very matter, Kyoto, Copenhagen etc. It is believed by nearly all governments that AGW is true (I can rememeber Prescott saying that floods we had in early 2000's were definitely caused by AGW) and major media outlets i.e the BBC, project that it is true. Al Gore gets an Oscar etc.

It is really only in the last 3/4 years that anyone has been coming out and saying actually hang on a minute you have said three completely contradictory things about the climate in the last 40 years or so and the data doesn't back up the fact that we are facing the apocolyspe that you predict. One other thing as well your record shows you can barely accurately predict anything to do with weather/climate more than 5 days from now, how can you be trusted to 50/100 years down the line.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Straight from Wikipedia - never heard of it before but its immense

DTV Transition

Some theorists claim that forced transition to digital television broadcasting is practical realization of "Big Brother" concept. They claim that miniature cameras and microphones are built into Set-top boxes and newer TV sets to spy on people. Another claim describes use of mind control technology that would be hidden in the digital signal and used to subvert the mind and feelings of the people and for subliminal advertising.[31]

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Well isn't that what the Professor of East Anglia just been found to have done? Oh yeah and the head of the IPCC that said the Himalaya glaciers were going to melt by 2035? Is that not contriving evidence until they were found out?

Also do not delude yourself at all. There is much much much more money that goes into the belief that AGW is true. There are humungeous inter-governmental (at heads of state level) conferences about this very matter, Kyoto, Copenhagen etc. It is believed by nearly all governments that AGW is true (I can rememeber Prescott saying that floods we had in early 2000's were definitely caused by AGW) and major media outlets i.e the BBC, project that it is true. Al Gore gets an Oscar etc.

It is really only in the last 3/4 years that anyone has been coming out and saying actually hang on a minute you have said three completely contradictory things about the climate in the last 40 years or so and the data doesn't back up the fact that we are facing the apocolyspe that you predict. One other thing as well your record shows you can barely accurately predict anything to do with weather/climate more than 5 days from now, how can you be trusted to 50/100 years down the line.

Sorry, fella - you're just repeating the same point, and you've really misunderstood where influence lies in this world. And the difference between climate and weather. And the scientific method: scientists believe stuff because of the evidence, not because there's a conspiracy. And the way that modelling (the future) uses evidence (present and past) - but can never be guaranteed, for obvious reasons. And perspective: two cockups from among the masses of evidence, and we hear about it continually from deniers.

The bottom line, though, is that, if anyone believes conspiracy theories about the Titanic, Diana, etc, it's no skin off anyone else's nose. On the other hand, if it turns out that 99% of scientists are right, but we've not kept emissions to a safe level because we've (half-)believed your favourite consipiracy story, then we're f*cked. Do you want to take that chance?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Straight from Wikipedia - never heard of it before but its immense

DTV Transition

Some theorists claim that forced transition to digital television broadcasting is practical realization of "Big Brother" concept. They claim that miniature cameras and microphones are built into Set-top boxes and newer TV sets to spy on people. Another claim describes use of mind control technology that would be hidden in the digital signal and used to subvert the mind and feelings of the people and for subliminal advertising.[31]

They can and do do all that now if they wish.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I read a book by Icke called I Am Me I Am Free. I was expecting it to be total, total arse but in fact it was only 50% anus. Some of the ideas he has about there needing to be more tolerance, love and peace in the world and in the smaller circles of our own lives and loves as well as theories about government and global business realtionships with war (which is very proveable with the smalles amount of research) while not exactly revolutionary ideas, were fairly non-mental. However as the book orogressed the old Lizard bollocks came out. Shame, seemed okay to start with.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Has Diana died, then?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Has Diana died, then?

I f***ing hope so if I have to witness the sickening, mawkish, sentimental horse shit of "a nation in mourning" for that overprivilidged, adulterous, slapper another time I will drive myself into a concrete pillar at 158 mph.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here