• Blackthorn

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Stowford Press

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Thatchers

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Gaymers

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Pear (Koppaburg, Bulmers St Heliers etc)

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • Westons

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Diamond White or similar tramp juice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 17 18.3%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Thatchers factory is a few miles away from where I live, and I popped in there yesterday afternoon, to buy from their excellent (and much discounted) shop on my way down to Sussex.

Thus, I have a boot full of several of their marvellous ciders that myself and Papa Lazarou will be sampling this very evening.

You have to be a bit careful drinking Thatchers cider it gives you rubber leg syndrome, Last time I spent an evening drinking drinking it in a pub I ended up collapsed in a bush on the way home. Lost my kebab as well.

... and that, my friend, perfectly illustrates the benefits I get from living NEXT DOOR to Middle Farm.

:)

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I haven't drunk cider since those glorious days of yore when we regularly frequented the Full Moon in Middle Street - also known as "The Brain" since their products left you bereft of any such thing.

I also recall a hangover of quite staggering proportions following a New Year's Eve on the Merrydown (drunk by the pint) in the Basketmakers and despite this assault on the central nervous system occurring back in the 1970s I still can't stomach the thought of drinking cider!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The KING of the ciders is SURELY Sussex's own MERRYDOWN. Try a bottle of Merrydown Vintage Cider and you will never go back to the alco-pop crap of Magners or Bulmers.

What about Addlestones....a fine pint IF YOU CAN@T GET MERRYDOWN.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I may have an occasional cider on a hot day, but nothing fizzy.

I have studied the effects of cider on Peter Canning for a number of years so have no intention of making it a session drink!

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
White Lightning :jester:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Not a great list. I've just comeback from walking down Offah's Dyke and Stowford was the only cider available, so I have plumped for that (ignoring Other).

I had a doze in a Bulmer's consigned orchard, but the apples were too small to nibble on. Probably for the best.

In London, I normally go for Aspall as there is not a great deal of variety on offer. I have bored of Westons Organic.

I do like Savannah Cider. Very refreshing.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I only drink cider.

Thatchers is best nowadays, although Black Rat is just as good if kept properly. Old Rosie (steam roller cider) is OK. Cider and ice do not mix. Some Westons are OK if draught. Middle Farm: recommended go for a fruity cheapie, the fresher the better. I have made cider and it is just apples and water and sugar and natural yeast. Unlike beer there is little to choose between the names.

Cider snobs will rule out Addlestones cause it it is not "proper" but it is not keg and at only 5.2% it still seems like a soft drink compared to the normal ciders. I still prefer Thatchers from an air conditioned cellar, but if the turnover is not great, all ciders go off quicker than beer.

Magners should be removed under the Trade Descriptions Act.

If you are in Newton Abbot and the only reason to be there is the Cider Bar near the station. You need more than a road map to find the station again.

Cider pubs die. Applejohns was before my time, but the Full Moon in Brighton and the King's Head in Shoreham were famous cider pubs, and less so the Basketmakers in Brighton and the Norfolk in Steyning. That was back in the days of Bulmers, Coates, Whiteways in Sussex.

Last edited:

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
I can't be f*cked to sift through all your rubbish about what's the best cider. Let's be honest, if we're counting locality and availability, it's gotta be Stowford Press.

It's 6%, available at many pubs now and hopefully they'll ditch the devils piss aka Strongbow and doesn't give you a chemical induced hangover...

I've no doubt there are many better ciders out there, but how many are available in the majority of pubs?. Ones that you see on a regular occasion in pubs like Stowie are a rarity. I'll take a pint of scrumpy, but I refuse to drink draught strongbow usually and I'm 21. I hope people follow suit and force out that chemical poison.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Oh and anyone who calls Kopperberg a real cider can do one. Never tasted something so ridiculously processed in my life. Go to the west country or normandy and try a proper cider. If you don't like it then you're not a proper cider drinker and should not associate yourself as one, end of...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here