Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fathers Day - what did you get YOUR dad ?

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
At least it wasn't a Richard!

My brother called my Desmond a 'Drinker's degree' which wasn't a million miles away from the truth :ohmy:

Btw Of the 20 students of my cohort, 4 got firsts, and they were women in their early twenties AND the Head of Department always had a smile on his face! Not implying anything obviously :thumbsup:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
My brother called my Desmond a 'Drinker's degree' which wasn't a million miles away from the truth :ohmy:

Btw Of the 20 students of my cohort, 4 got firsts, and they were women in their early twenties AND the Head of Department always had a smile on his face! Not implying anything obviously :thumbsup:

I thought that might happen in my year too but my cynicism was misplaced.

On a purely personal level, I found it heartening the only person that got a 1st on the course was a guy went to state school in Brighton and not some rich oversees student who has paid to go to Uni prep schools like southbank and has goodness knows what else advances..

Plus I did have a few drinks along the way, didn't miss a Friday night while I was there and the record continues.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
A graduate gets a temp job on a crew putting in telegraph poles

He gets put in with Michael from Donegal and they pal up during being shown the ropes

On the first day out, they are fitting poles on opposite sides of a street

At the end of the day, the ganger turns up and asks them how they'd got on

The graduate says he'd fitted 3 poles

Michael said he'd fitted 12 poles

Scratching his head, the graduate looks down the street and exclaims, 'I can see why he's done loads more than me! Most of the pole is sticking out of the ground!'

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
A Harvey's hamper with 8 types of harveys, a half pint glass, harveys chutney, and other harveys stuff.

lucky he likes harveys really....

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Only sent my Dad a card as he lives in Eastbourne.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Update - and having told my kids a hug will do, the little treasures hunted down a chutney I have never had before (Banana and Ginger) and handed it over this am - love 'em.

They weren't watching BBC2 this morning per chance? Cooking programme about how chutney is a cheap pressie to give, comes in lots of obscure flavours etc. etc.

I've stayed away from this thread until now.
My dad died in February, so this had been a tough day.
The first day when I couldn't give my dad anything.
It sounds a bit shit and a bit twee, but make the most of the time you have, dads wont be around for ever.
:(

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
my dad died 16 years ago at the ripe old age of 52!!!!

Live each day as if its your last!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
My old man died on January 4th 1989, the last time I saw him was when I flew across to see him two weeks before Christmas, he was dying of cancer, and weighed about 6 stone when I saw him. The last thing he asked me to do was to put a pillow over his face and put him out of his pain and misery, and to stop my mum going through daily hell of watching him die before her eyes.

I started to do it but being a coward couldn't finish the act, fearing I would be nicked rather than carry out his wishes. I walked away in tears and never saw him again, and never told him I loved him.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
There's been some reallyheart wrenching stories on here.

To sort of merge with the motto thread, if you are a dad try and do things better than your dad did before you. That doesn't mean that you may have had abad dad but think of the things you reckon you could have done better and try them, but be warned, often you'll find that your old man was right all along!

I can never understand those who blame their shortcomings on their poor parents. I would have thought it would just make you more determined to be a good parent yourself.

Some of you have obviosly had a difficult day, especially if this is the 1st father's day without a dad. Time heals, hope you have all got through and found some comfort in fond memories.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here