Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fathers Day - what did you get YOUR dad ?

D

Deleted User X18H

My Dad died in 1985 so I didn't get him anything Fathers Day for me was a complete non event until 2008 and this year my lad bought me a gaint Tolberone and a Brighton England Shirt from the club shop however I suspect my wife may have purchased these items, although William presented me with a card (eventually after circumnavigating the lounge) and said after some prompting 'dappy dazzysday' which brought a tear to my eye!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There's been some reallyheart wrenching stories on here.

To sort of merge with the motto thread, if you are a dad try and do things better than your dad did before you. That doesn't mean that you may have had abad dad but think of the things you reckon you could have done better and try them, but be warned, often you'll find that your old man was right all along!

I can never understand those who blame their shortcomings on their poor parents. I would have thought it would just make you more determined to be a good parent yourself.

Some of you have obviosly had a difficult day, especially if this is the 1st father's day without a dad. Time heals, hope you have all got through and found some comfort in fond memories.

Wise words Freddie.

My dad died 17 years ago and I still miss him loads.

He wasn't perfect (who of us is?) but he was a great dad and I've tried to do to my kids what he did right and not do the things that he got wrong. I regret that he didn't see any of his grandchildren but I make sure that my kids know all about him (and I know my sister does the same with hers).

I feel really sad for the people on here who have such bitter feelings towards their fathers. I had a good relationship with mine and I hope my kids have one with me. And although I dislike the commerciality of Fathers' Day, it's nice to have one day a year to think of the old man.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I feel really sad for the people on here who have such bitter feelings towards their fathers. I had a good relationship with mine

Do you not see the paradox there? Yours may have been fine, but my father was mentally and physically abusive (my sisters and I used to run upstairs to our rooms at the sound of his motorbike coming up the street), he had numerous affairs - including fathering a child with another woman when we were young, was abusive towards our mother etc. etc. I don't harbour bitter feelings, that would be pointless and unhealthy, and we have a decent enough relationship these days, but to me it would feel completely unnatural to buy him a card or present, or express sentiments that celebrate his role as my father.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Do you not see the paradox there? Yours may have been fine, but my father was mentally and physically abusive (my sisters and I used to run upstairs to our rooms at the sound of his motorbike coming up the street), he had numerous affairs - including fathering a child with another woman when we were young, was abusive towards our mother etc. etc. I don't harbour bitter feelings, that would be pointless and unhealthy, and we have a decent enough relationship these days, but to me it would feel completely unnatural to buy him a card or present, or express sentiments that celebrate his role as my father.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that people should mask their feelings towards poor fathers: I'm fully aware that there are plenty of dads who have done terrible things to their children, I'm just saying that a father-child relationship can be as rewarding as that of a mother-child one and I feel sad that so many people on NSC haven't had that.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I'm just saying that a father-child relationship can be as rewarding as that of a mother-child one and I feel sad that so many people on NSC haven't had that.

More so even, I have a fantastic and close relationship with my daughter.

My old man died on January 4th 1989, the last time I saw him was when I flew across to see him two weeks before Christmas, he was dying of cancer, and weighed about 6 stone when I saw him. The last thing he asked me to do was to put a pillow over his face and put him out of his pain and misery, and to stop my mum going through daily hell of watching him die before her eyes.

I started to do it but being a coward couldn't finish the act, fearing I would be nicked rather than carry out his wishes. I walked away in tears and never saw him again, and never told him I loved him.

I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that that was the ideal time to tell him, i.e. the reason you couldn't go through with it. But you couldn't be expected to think of everything at such a moment, especially as he put you in an impossible position. You were not being cowardly; you were strong-minded enough not to succumb to his request, which would have racked you with guilt for the rest of your life.
Hopefully someone will ponder your post and think twice before putting their offspring in such a position.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here