Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FAO Dean Wilkins - FFS get us a new Keeper!

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Before you all jump on the Kuipers band wagon hear me out.

Yes, he makes great saves, yes he has probably won us points, but I think he is the one of the worst players to wear an Albion shirt at the moment and judging on here the most overrated.

As a person I have to admit I dislike the man. It doesn't cloud what I think of him as a player, but I've always found him extremely arrogant, and very much a "me me me" type of man. Anyone who's ever seen him play in the reserves, will no doubt have heard him telling anyone who listens that he should be in the first team, which is totally disrepectful to the number one keepers at the time.

But the fact is, every Albion manager has preferred someone else to him. Even this season the fact when they give out the shirt numbers, and the number one jersey has been unused, suggest Wilkins feels the same, and Kuipers is only there because we failed to sign someone else. When the retained list comes out , I really hope he's released, but I fear he'll have an appearance clause and get another contract. I think Wilkins' comments after the FOrest game sums up what he thinks of him, when asked about his MOM performance, all Wilkins said was "Thats what he's there for, thats his job" and the Arsegas even said "Wilkins jokinly" said it, but WIlkins meant what he said. I think a lot can be said about the fact whenever he's not first choice, and has wanted to leave, no one came in for him except Boston United, and look where they are now! Wilkins loves to heap praise on indivual players, and the fact he never does on Kuipers speaks volumes.

There is no doubt that Kuipers is a great shot stopper, and he's proved that again this year. But how many of these shots would have been avoided with another keeper in goal?

David Seaman was a perfect example of a goalkeeper, who rarely made spectacular saves, but was a rock behind the defence. Kuipers I feel is the opposite, make specatcular saves, yet scares the shit out of his defenders with the rest of his game.

The main reason I feel Kuipers shouldn't be near our team is because of his kicking. Many will shout "I don't give a f*** if he can't kick", but its a major part of a keepers game. Today the 3rd Port Vale goal was down to him, pure and simple. He f*** up his umpeth kick and got caught of this line and the rest is history. If you get a video of todays game, and I'm sure Wilkins will, and look at the amount of pressure the defence was placed under today, due to his poor kicking, and look at this over the season, I think his kicking as costs us far more points than his saves have earnt us. I don't mean directly like todays 3rd, but indirectly his kicking costs us plenty of goals.

Take the Vale keeper, his kicking was excellent today, yet Kuipers on one of the smallest pitches in the league and the wind up his arse in the second half, failed to get the ball over the halfway line on more than one occasion. When he did catch it right, the ball sailed striaght into the Vale's keepers hands (Although he did make a meal of one of them). Yet the Vales keepers kicks, when long went to the sides of the area and keep us under pressure.

For a professional keeper to kick so poorly is just not acceptable. His whole body shape is embarrasinly poor, he turns 90 degrees when he releases the ball, he is almost getting tangled up in himself, and this is why he slices it all the time. Even when he get distance on it, he slices it, and there is no way the keeper coach would tell him to kick it like that.

I know this is a huge rant for what most will see a trival thing, but Kuipers has got to be the worst kicker in professional football, but as any manager will tell you, kicking is a huge part of a keepers game these days, and Kuiper's would be in the bottom 5% of county league keepers in terms of his kicking, and has got to be by far the worst in professional football as far as kicking is concerned.

I'm not blaming Kuipers for today result, but I do think he is the most overrated player we have, and would struggle to get in any other league side, as has been proved in the past.

Shot stopping - excellent
overall game - far far short of what we need

NUmber one priority of pre-season, Midfielders,
Number 1.1 priority a new Keeper is SUllivan aint ready for next year.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Yes, Kuipers clearly cost us the game today.

Clearly.

You could argue that.

3rd goal = Kuipers spooned the kick to their bloke, was in no mans land and lobbed.

Good finish - but Kuipers fault

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
For a professional keeper to kick so poorly is just not acceptable. His whole body shape is embarrasinly poor, he turns 90 degrees when he releases the ball, he is almost getting tangled up in himself, .

Since Paul Crichton has been here and Kuipers has been doing that side on kicking I think his kicking has improved substantially.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You could argue that.

3rd goal = Kuipers spooned the kick to their bloke, was in no mans land and lobbed.

Never mind the keystone kops defending all afternoon then. Gaps all over the shop that you could drive a BUS through. Nah, lets blame Kuipers, who's done more in the last couple of games to earn points for the team than anyone else.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
You could argue that.

as fact thats true but i don't think the aim was that :jester: knocked forward to the defence/midfield but no one put in the tackle to win it , their bloke picks it up and puts in a good finish

again it's a mix of faults at the end of the day.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Kuipers didn't have the best of games today but generally is a very good keeper for this level. I would have him 3rd in player of the season after Forster and Elphick. Kuipers did not play well, but who did? The whole team was absoultely shocking. That is the worst I have seen them play all season. What a pathetic performence.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Before you all jump on the Kuipers band wagon hear me out.

Yes, he makes great saves, yes he has probably won us points, but I think he is the one of the worst players to wear an Albion shirt at the moment and judging on here the most overrated.

As a person I have to admit I dislike the man. It doesn't cloud what I think of him as a player, but I've always found him extremely arrogant, and very much a "me me me" type of man. Anyone who's ever seen him play in the reserves, will no doubt have heard him telling anyone who listens that he should be in the first team, which is totally disrepectful to the number one keepers at the time.

But the fact is, every Albion manager has preferred someone else to him. Even this season the fact when they give out the shirt numbers, and the number one jersey has been unused, suggest Wilkins feels the same, and Kuipers is only there because we failed to sign someone else. When the retained list comes out , I really hope he's released, but I fear he'll have an appearance clause and get another contract. I think Wilkins' comments after the FOrest game sums up what he thinks of him, when asked about his MOM performance, all Wilkins said was "Thats what he's there for, thats his job" and the Arsegas even said "Wilkins jokinly" said it, but WIlkins meant what he said. I think a lot can be said about the fact whenever he's not first choice, and has wanted to leave, no one came in for him except Boston United, and look where they are now! Wilkins loves to heap praise on indivual players, and the fact he never does on Kuipers speaks volumes.

There is no doubt that Kuipers is a great shot stopper, and he's proved that again this year. But how many of these shots would have been avoided with another keeper in goal?

David Seaman was a perfect example of a goalkeeper, who rarely made spectacular saves, but was a rock behind the defence. Kuipers I feel is the opposite, make specatcular saves, yet scares the shit out of his defenders with the rest of his game.

The main reason I feel Kuipers shouldn't be near our team is because of his kicking. Many will shout "I don't give a f*** if he can't kick", but its a major part of a keepers game. Today the 3rd Port Vale goal was down to him, pure and simple. He f*** up his umpeth kick and got caught of this line and the rest is history. If you get a video of todays game, and I'm sure Wilkins will, and look at the amount of pressure the defence was placed under today, due to his poor kicking, and look at this over the season, I think his kicking as costs us far more points than his saves have earnt us. I don't mean directly like todays 3rd, but indirectly his kicking costs us plenty of goals.

Take the Vale keeper, his kicking was excellent today, yet Kuipers on one of the smallest pitches in the league and the wind up his arse in the second half, failed to get the ball over the halfway line on more than one occasion. When he did catch it right, the ball sailed striaght into the Vale's keepers hands (Although he did make a meal of one of them). Yet the Vales keepers kicks, when long went to the sides of the area and keep us under pressure.

For a professional keeper to kick so poorly is just not acceptable. His whole body shape is embarrasinly poor, he turns 90 degrees when he releases the ball, he is almost getting tangled up in himself, and this is why he slices it all the time. Even when he get distance on it, he slices it, and there is no way the keeper coach would tell him to kick it like that.

I know this is a huge rant for what most will see a trival thing, but Kuipers has got to be the worst kicker in professional football, but as any manager will tell you, kicking is a huge part of a keepers game these days, and Kuiper's would be in the bottom 5% of county league keepers in terms of his kicking, and has got to be by far the worst in professional football as far as kicking is concerned.

I'm not blaming Kuipers for today result, but I do think he is the most overrated player we have, and would struggle to get in any other league side, as has been proved in the past.

Shot stopping - excellent
overall game - far far short of what we need

NUmber one priority of pre-season, Midfielders,
Number 1.1 priority a new Keeper is SUllivan aint ready for next year.

Quite a large post.

But like people say...it's quality not quantity.

And there is no quality to read here. Just a complete load of rubbish about one of the most loyal and passionate members of our playing staff!

Not to mention the fact that he has saved our arses on numerous occasions this season!

:tumble:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes, he makes great saves, yes he has probably won us points, but I think he is the one of the worst players to wear an Albion shirt at the moment

Frankly, you completely lost me round about there.

Ridiculous statement.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just when I thought that NSC was remarkably calm in the face of a shit team performance, which must be a 1st, Mr Burns comes along and restores the norm of over reaction after a bad defeat (even though it has nothing to do with today's performance :lol:). Thank God for that, I thought NSC was going all sensible and soft.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Since Paul Crichton has been here and Kuipers has been doing that side on kicking I think his kicking has improved substantially.

Agreed.

Never mind the keystone kops defending all afternoon then. Gaps all over the shop that you could drive a BUS through. Nah, lets blame Kuipers, who's done more in the last couple of games to earn points for the team than anyone else.

He did alright, made a couple of solid stops. But the fact he's been fantastic the last two games, and generally very good all season doesn't hide the fact that he made a cock-up which cost us today (although he wasn't the only one).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Agreed.

He did alright, made a couple of solid stops. But the fact he's been fantastic the last two games, and generally very good all season doesn't hide the fact that he made a cock-up which cost us today (although he wasn't the only one).

I think you'll find it was mufti day today and all the players were issued with joke boots with lead weights in them. That can really be the only explanation for the players inabilty to be 1st to the ball or shoot on target and the fact that they struggled to actually pass the ball to each other for 97% of the game. Very unfair to pick on Kuipers who mastered his banana boots better than most today and you've gone and highlighted his one mistake.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Their keeper scuffed a clearance against his own defender in the first half but got away with it and it came to nothing. He got lucky.

There was still PLENTY of opportunity to win the ball after Kuipers didn't get the distance with hisa clearance - it was still 40-odd yards out before their player won it in the air and hit a beauty that dipped over Kuipers. There was SO MUCH wrong with the defensive display by the team today from front to back, but of course anyone with an agenda against Kuipers is always waiting in the wings to POUNCE as soon as theres any hint of a mistake that eventually leads to a goal.

Show me an infallible keeper that never makes the slightest mistake, and I can guarantee you he won't be playing at Withdean.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Mr Burns, you are a stupid arse. If you're talking about the same player that I've seen save us infinitely more points then he's ever cost us - then I'm clearly watching a totally different game to you. Please get a grip. Thank you.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Their keeper scuffed a clearance against his own defender in the first half but got away with it and it came to nothing. He got lucky.

There was still PLENTY of opportunity to win the ball after Kuipers didn't get the distance with hisa clearance - it was still 40-odd yards out before their player won it in the air and hit a beauty that dipped over Kuipers. There was SO MUCH wrong with the defensive display by the team today from front to back, but of course anyone with an agenda against Kuipers is always waiting in the wings to POUNCE as soon as theres any hint of a mistake that eventually leads to a goal.

Show me an infallible keeper that never makes the slightest mistake, and I can guarantee you he won't be playing at Withdean.

Same old shite from people who love Kuipers so much.

I LIKE Kuipers, and definitely DON'T have an agenda against him, but you can't ignore the fact that HIS f***-up resulted in the third goal, which was the decisive one. Just because he's good doesn't mean you can defend him as being 'unlucky'.

I DON'T agree with the initial post, as i think Kuipers is more than good enough, but you can't swear by a man who's had a major contribution in an embarrassing defeat.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Just when I thought that NSC was remarkably calm in the face of a shit team performance, which must be a 1st, Mr Burns comes along and restores the norm of over reaction after a bad defeat (even though it has nothing to do with today's performance :lol:). Thank God for that, I thought NSC was going all sensible and soft.
Believe me this is not a reaction to today game, its a view of him overall.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here