Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FAO: Anyone who wishes to show their support to students...

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Back now for about half an hour.

Firstly: The police on the whole were amazing today. As the night wore on tactics got a bit tougher because the majority of those there to genuinely protest went home. HOWEVER: The ketteling that happend on teh march, just before we got to Palmeria Square was wholly unneeded. All it did was get us angry we were being treated like we'd already done wrong and as a result opened up many people to believe the later violence was justified. Its a shame. Both about the ketteling and the resorting to violence AGAIN. I know that i've had some slightly contravertial views on the violence at Millbank but the violence here both this week and last week cannot in anyway be condoned.

Secondly: Only 600 marched today but f*** did it feel like more! Full of banter and spirit.

Finally: Sorry for disrupting buses again. The next day of action is DayX4, which will take place either Saturday 4th or Sunday 5th (i've heard sunday more than saturday - i'm not sure what we as students are telling the police just yet).

Did anyone read the live blog on the Argus website?

The Tories put the "n" in "cuts".

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Oh dear - they are implementing recommendations based on a report commissioned by the previous LABOUR government. As suspected, the student campaign is wholly a political one.

*** awaits the usual retreat faster than any Frenchman could ever manage ***

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Oh dear - they are implementing recommendations based on a report commissioned by the previous LABOUR government. As suspected, the student campaign is wholly a political one.

*** awaits the usual retreat faster than any Frenchman could ever manage ***

I know Labour started the report and, as i've said, i'd protest against them. We're trying to be creative with our slogans and chants.

I've been wondering whether to post it but actually, i'm really f***ing proud.

The "tories put the n in cuts" is a reference to this photo which was put on the live blog:

scaled.php

Guess who that is? :bigwave:

It was taken about fifteen twenty minutes after genuine protests went home, and thugs and a few protesters who weren't sure whats going on went to town mostly to protest and some to cause havoc.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I know Labour started the report and, as i've said, i'd protest against them. We're trying to be creative with our slogans and chants.

Calling people c**ts is hardly creative, intelligent or helpful to your cause but you carry on - it's not going to get you anywhere. If you want creative then look at the Albion campaigns to get Falmer - as far as memory serves we didn't use the C word against anyone - even LDC.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Back now for about half an hour.

Firstly: The police on the whole were amazing today. As the night wore on tactics got a bit tougher because the majority of those there to genuinely protest went home. HOWEVER: The ketteling that happend on teh march, just before we got to Palmeria Square was wholly unneeded. All it did was get us angry we were being treated like we'd already done wrong and as a result opened up many people to believe the later violence was justified. Its a shame. Both about the ketteling and the resorting to violence AGAIN. I know that i've had some slightly contravertial views on the violence at Millbank but the violence here both this week and last week cannot in anyway be condoned.

Secondly: Only 600 marched today but f*** did it feel like more! Full of banter and spirit.

Finally: Sorry for disrupting buses again. The next day of action is DayX4, which will take place either Saturday 4th or Sunday 5th (i've heard sunday more than saturday - i'm not sure what we as students are telling the police just yet).

Did anyone read the live blog on the Argus website?

Good stuff, keep it up. I witnessed the kettling last Tuesday down by the pier. Twice as many cops surrounding students. It looked rather pathetic and a bit toy-town to be honest. I got the impression the plod had seen the bigger boys of the Met doing it on the telly and had decided to copy them. A bit like when I used to go to the park with my Peter Ward shirt on and pretend to be him.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton

I've been wondering whether to post it but actually, i'm really f***ing proud.

The "tories put the n in cuts" is a reference to this photo which was put on the live blog:

scaled.php

Guess who that is? :bigwave:

It was taken about fifteen twenty minutes after genuine protests went home, and thugs and a few protesters who weren't sure whats going on went to town mostly to protest and some to cause havoc.

what are the white things around your elbows??

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Calling people c**ts is hardly creative, intelligent or helpful to your cause but you carry on - it's not going to get you anywhere. If you want creative then look at the Albion campaigns to get Falmer - as far as memory serves we didn't use the C word against anyone - even LDC.

Interesting. I seem to recall Attila carrying a sign which had the words to a certain Anti-Nowhere League track when we went on a march to the FA HQ. Pretty sure that had the word c**t in it. Maybe he can confirm.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
what are the white things around your elbows??

Just part of my jacket. its a huge NFL coat, Oakland Raiders. Not that i'm a fan, it was a bargain though and since I don't follow NFL i don't mind wearing any teams colours. Its so warm too.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Yeah well i don't think you garnished much support from the parents of young kids crying from the cold, or the old waiting for their bus home or from those with bags of shopping.

me? I only had myself to look after but i was not best pleased to take nearly 2 hours to travel from Churchill Sq to Lower Bevendean and my view of students was not helped by having one on the bus quite pleased with himself whilst a female student chatted to him, with her wet boots up on the seat and was on about how they had left their key at home the night before and had to make a noise to wake somebody up to let them in.

Thouroughly selfish bunch who I doubt gave a toss for those who work and contribute taxes for their education.

Sorry if I sound bitter but I wouldn't mind betting that there's a fair few thousand others out there who have had a nightmare journey home in freezing weather. maybe you young thinkers would like to consider just how that will further your cause?

entente cordiale

Nov 12, 2005
Good luck to students and their allies. An educated population serves us all and should be funded out of fairly levied general taxation like the military, pensions, hospitals, police, prisons, saving self imploding banks etc.. Our government is an alliance of a party that failed to achieve a majority and their craven pals who are breaking every pledge they made for a brief taste of office for a few of them: they have no mandate for their economy and society wrecking cuts and making people start their working lives with 30 k of debt is a cruel trick played by one generation on the next. If they don't like being called cu*ts they should stop behaving like cu*ts.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Yeah well i don't think you garnished much support from the parents of young kids crying from the cold, or the old waiting for their bus home or from those with bags of shopping.

me? I only had myself to look after but i was not best pleased to take nearly 2 hours to travel from Churchill Sq to Lower Bevendean and my view of students was not helped by having one on the bus quite pleased with himself whilst a female student chatted to him, with her wet boots up on the seat and was on about how they had left their key at home the night before and had to make a noise to wake somebody up to let them in.

Thouroughly selfish bunch who I doubt gave a toss for those who work and contribute taxes for their education.

Sorry if I sound bitter but I wouldn't mind betting that there's a fair few thousand others out there who have had a nightmare journey home in freezing weather. maybe you young thinkers would like to consider just how that will further your cause?

Are but you forget, if you are over 25 you have no right to criticise students

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Just read this on the BBC website:

"Students are campaigning against plans to raise tuition fees in England to up to £9,000 per year, with a vote expected in the House of Commons before Christmas.

The Welsh Assembly Government announced its own fee plans, which will see Welsh students at university in Wales and England paying no more than £3,290 per year.

It would mean that an English student at a university in England could pay more than £17,000 more for a three-year degree than a Welsh student on the same course."

If this is true that is just scandalous and wholly unfair, why should a student from Wales benefit from cheaper education over an English student? How can the Welsh Assembly which is funded by HM Treasury from taxes from ALL UK taxpayers be allowed to do this when English students will be penalised by paying 3 times more? Keep protesting you have a bloody good cause.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009

I'm sorry it affected you on a personal level.

But if we're going to be heard, we have to make our protest get heard! A demo in somewhere quiet, without any kind of disruption will not get news and therefore make an impact.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Two great political photos of the past 25 years

tankman.jpg

scaled.php

Respect to KneeOn.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007

Typical behaviour of these selfish, spoilt students; no thought for anyone but themselves. I just wish I had more confidence in this government to show the strength and resolve, not only to defeat these pampered brats (that should be easy), but the greater challenges coming from Red Len, Unite and the bolshie unions. I hope Cameron is made of stronger stuff than he seems; time will tell.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009

tankman.jpg

scaled.php

Respect to KneeOn.

I did not want to post it to begin with, I had no idea it'd been taken until I got home and logged on to facebook to see it on my wall.

But I decided i'm going to.

A stat for those who think these proposals are fair and just: 60% of students will be on average 5000 pounds worse off according to the Million+ group of uni's AND several economic london think tanks.

I'm willing to bet the lowest 10% (money wise), and the upper 30% will be the ones who won't be worse off.

Rightly so, as the lowest earning 10% need finiacial support more than the next 10% or the 10% after that, and the 30% can afford not to be.

However that huge chunk in the middle where the majoirty of the UK's population falls being 5 grand a year worse off AND having it be called progressive is infuriating.

Scottish students not paying fees and having us subsidise them is aggrevating enough but now the welsh are going to not have to pay more than the current rate? Why are we as English students being shafted like this? Why are students full stop being shafted like this?

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007

tankman.jpg

scaled.php

Respect to KneeOn.

Amazing, I purchased a Chinese army surplus tank on ebay last week, and earlier this evening I was oiling the tracks. I'm setting off tomorrow and should be in Brighton by the fifth. I've taken note of your snazzy jacket KneeOn, so martyrdom awaits!

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Not like the your so called 'workers' contributing their taxes but going on strike preventing thousands and thousands who had saved hard for their holidays from going on them, to the tube drivers crippling the tube services, fireman threatening to strike on bonfire night. Damn those students, they're the ones that really have disrupted this country with their chatting and wet shoes on buses!!! Hilarious!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here