Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fans with unrealistic expectations = JCLs?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Total BS. So to not be a JCL, we have to be blissfully happy when we lose? If you'd told me in July that we would be 5th come October, I would have bitten your hand off for it. But the truth of the matter is that Gus has built these high expectations within the squad; we were 1st at the end of August, and since Bristol, our form and play has declined dramatically. I'm not so adverse to the losses (apart from Palace, of course), but it's the manner in which we've lost which is frustrating and incredibly uncharacteristic - resorting to hoofing the ball upfield when the passing is closed down, misplaced passes, allowing strikers to just run out our defence.

Those who are disappointed, like me, are hardly going to stop watching the Albion. I've supported Brighton all my life and will support them til I die. But we, like Gus, are entitled to a moan. And I doubt that those stupid few who will stop going will be taking the time to moan about the Albion on NSC.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Those who are disappointed, like me, are hardly going to stop watching the Albion. I've supported Brighton all my life and will support them til I die. But we, like Gus, are entitled to a moan. And I doubt that those stupid few who will stop going will be taking the time to moan about the Albion on NSC.

Exactly

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Ok, That makes me a JCB then.

Only went to away games and occasional withdean.

Now ST holder in North re- living goldstone days and loving it!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
As usual, there is a balance to be had here.

Blue sky - no. We shouldn't just be so delighted that we are where we are that we can't criticise performances, players, or even Gus if someone feels he's got something wrong.

Sky is falling in - no. Get a grip. The previous couple of stabs we've made at stepping up to this level have been very stuttering starts, where we never (opening day win at Burnley apart) could have taken a look at The Championship and thought, "yeah we belong." But this time we do.

Truth is, from my point of view, we sit somewhere between the extremes that we see so often on here. I love the style of play, I love the progress the club is making, and I'm a big fan of Gus. But there is no doubt our level has dropped the last couple of weeks, and we MUST get better at closing players down when we are not in possession. Allowing teams time and space in the middle of the park is very dangerous, while leaving them room to shoot from the edge of the box is a completely no-no.

Gus has a bit of work to do over the next couple of weeks to get the performances back up. But panic buttons can remain locked away for a while yet, thanks.

PalaceKing

Sep 28, 2011
I can't believe the amount of moaners on this site. You're currently 5th In the Championship (one of the hardest league's around). You have good players like CMS who might some day become great players. You have an excellent young manager in Gus Poyet and you have a brand new stadium. I really don't see what you guys have to whine about. OK two losses on the trot. Before we took 3 points off you at your gaff we had a run of 3 straight losses. Buck up Brighton and realise what you do have here.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Oh, and for the record, I have been going regularly since my first game in 1979. STH for over 20 of those years, incl both years at Priestfield, and I cannot help but ALWAYS have "unrealistic expectations." That's just how I get through life as a Brighton fan. I cannot fail to be stood in a pub pre-match and believe we will win. In that period running up to kick-off, the anticipation in the pub, the first sight of the grass at the ground, the look of the goals, the slowly building noise and atmosphere at the ground ......

All of that gives me "unrealistic expectations" week in week out. No matter how rubbish we're playing, no matter how strong the opposition are. I was as convinced we'd win on Saturday at Ipswich as I was there years ago when we needed a win to stay up while they were celebrating the title. That's just how I am, it's how I have to be. There was about 6 months when I wasn't like that (MA mark II) and it was killing me, and killing my love for the game. Realism stinks!

I am the eternal optimist, blimey, I even regularly bought the coffee at Priestfield, believing this week, it would be palatable. So in complete opposition to the OP, the more I think about it, the more I think it's the lifers amongst us that have to be the ones with the "unrealistic expectations" as realism would have seen us give up on the club about 20 years ago.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Establishing ourselves in the 2nd tier of the English leagues..........well we have never done that in the past 50 years !!!! So that would be a start.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Establishing ourselves in the 2nd tier of the English leagues..........well we have never done that in the past 50 years !!!! So that would be a start.

Hmmm, so you don't count the Mullery side as establishing themselves. Does getting promoted discredit their claim somehow?

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Hmmm, so you don't count the Mullery side as establishing themselves. Does getting promoted discredit their claim somehow?

my thought exactly, although guess there are those who would say it wasn't really that long before we were back down to where we'd come from. It's semantics as to exactly how long you need to be any where before it can be said you are established.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Can I respectfully request some guidelines as to what constitutes a JCL?

You are a JCL if...

-You disagree with someone who went to Withdean/Gillingham
-You don't know absolutely every bit of trivia about the club
-You dare to criticise the current team for anything
-You are arguing with someone who knows very little about you and they can't be bothered to counterpoint your argument
-You are arguing with someone who doesn't appreciate different opinions/preferences with football
-You are arguing with someone who feels the need to label fans, and categorise levels of fandom
-You didn't join NSC prior to the ground breaking at Falmer (unless you agree with everything the old timers say)
-You haven't been to watch a brighton game before this season (regardless of your reason - not being born, not being able to afford it, not living in the area, working matchdays, etc)

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It's semantics as to exactly how long you need to be any where before it can be said you are established.

Ask Leeds, Sheffields, Charlton et al but to be able to say we are a good Championship side will be gratifying ... established might mean Coventry, Palarse, Watford ... but hardly much to look forward to there :)

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
You are a JCL if...

-You are arguing with someone who knows very little about you and can't they can't be bothered to counterpoint your argument
-You are arguing with someone who doesn't appreciate different opinions/preferences with football
-You are arguing with someone who feels the need to label fans, and categorise levels of fandom
-You didn't join NSC prior to the ground breaking at Falmer (unless you agree with everything the old timers say)
-You haven't been to watch a brighton game before this season (regardless of your reason - not being born, not being able to afford it, not iving in the area, working matchdays, etc)

Well said that man.

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
You are a JCL if...

-You are arguing with someone who knows very little about you and they can't be bothered to counterpoint your argument
-You haven't been to watch a brighton game before this season (regardless of your reason - not being born, not being able to afford it, not living in the area, working matchdays, etc)

Thanks for clearing that up!! ;-)

I can't believe the amount of moaners on this site. You're currently 5th In the Championship (one of the hardest league's around). You have good players like CMS who might some day become great players. You have an excellent young manager in Gus Poyet and you have a brand new stadium. I really don't see what you guys have to whine about. OK two losses on the trot. Before we took 3 points off you at your gaff we had a run of 3 straight losses. Buck up Brighton and realise what you do have here.

don't know what to make of this, it's seems quite measured and thought out, just looking for the catch

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
All are welcome but might I add a new category, something first mentioned in the sales threads pre-season.

The "JCL wannabee" is a former fan who didn't attend during the Gillingham-Withdean days because frankly, we were crap or had to watch in crap conditions, but who did attend Goldstone games and still followed us via media BUT whom, wrongly, thought they were being labelled a JCL and so get offended on behalf of a JCL without realising a JCL is just someone who really is all of a sudden interested in the Albion, as a 2nd team, and likely as not bought a ST and has no intention of attending the Barnsley, Hull etc type games.

So be careful JCL-wannabee fans; don't confuse yourself with JCLs who really are the scourge of all true football fans regardless of club and are thankfully a tiny minority. These types are not who you want to be lined up in the trenches with. You'll go over the top in difficult times and suddenly find a vacancy next to you....

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003

We lost to you infidels. That's enough to moan about for months. Back off, you, you, you....CHAV.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
All are welcome but might I add a new category, something first mentioned in the sales threads pre-season.

The "JCL wannabee" is a former fan who didn't attend during the Gillingham-Withdean days because frankly, we were crap or had to watch in crap conditions, but who did attend Goldstone games and still followed us via media BUT whom, wrongly, thought they were being labelled a JCL and so get offended on behalf of a JCL without realising a JCL is just someone who really is all of a sudden interested in the Albion, as a 2nd team, and likely as not bought a ST and has no intention of attending the Barnsley, Hull etc type games.

So be careful JCL-wannabee fans; don't confuse yourself with JCLs who really are the scourge of all true football fans regardless of club and are thankfully a tiny minority. These types are not who you want to be lined up in the trenches with. You'll go over the top in difficult times and suddenly find a vacancy next to you....

I've no idea what i am, i started at the goldstone but then attended a few games at Gillingham and some more at Withdean but Geography has been my downfall as living up north. I mostly go to away games, is there a different category for me? Or am i just rubbish and therefore you can ignore everything i say?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
No. You are a boring old fan like me. Unless you feel like a JCL in which case you are actually a JCL wannabe and need to ignore the feeling you're a JCL. Hope this helps?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here