Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fans with unrealistic expectations = JCLs?

JCL

Better, Stronger, Faster
Jul 2, 2011
East of Eastbourne
there is some sanctemonious clap trap written on here.

its a bloody message board with people with differing opinions...get over it!
This.

And comments such as this - "Surely no-one who attended matches at the Goldstone and Gillingham - or indeed Withdean - would post such utter NONSENSE." is absolute drivel.

There are too many people on this board with their heads up their arses and believe that just because you haven't been actively going to games & supporting the Albion for the last 60 years, means that in some perverted way you're not worthy of an opinion. Absolute bollocks!

There are undoubtedly people on this board who may not have been actively following the Albion for many years, but who HAVE been following the beautiful game for many years and have a very good understanding of the ins & outs and the ups & downs of football. They probably offer more credible comment than those who've been supporting Albion since they were embryos but talk utter crap regardless!

Some people on this board are also maniacally pushing the panic button when it isn't necessary, but some are (rightly) concerned about the drop in form and putting ideas forward on how to rectify that; it's a forum!
We've stepped up a division; the Championship is full of good teams and it isn't going to be a stroll in the park, but we need to keep improving and learning from our mistakes.

Fail Fast! Learn from your mistakes, but when you have repeating failures, you have to do something about them.

I was at Ipswich yesterday, and all around me were screaming at Calde not to back off Chopra… and he did it twice in a row! That needs resolving.
Dicker's performance yesterday was, unfortunately for him, worse than that of a dustbin. That needs resolving.
Casper continues to NOT command his area. That needs resolving. (Made three good first-half saves though)

I for one, would be more than happy at a mid table finish and I do think those fans who expect a play-off place are very optimistic.
Now that we have a good number of games under our belt can we see where we stand up to the competition and decisions can be made accordingly.

We are in a great position to consolidate our Championship status and build for the future.
We have stability in Gus & TB, but Gus is learning and we have to appreciate that too.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
At least the manager can now be under no illusions about the fickleness of the fans.

Where did Gus witness these fickle fans?

were the 2,000 who supported the team throughout the game yesterday and applauded them off fickle?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
At least the manager can now be under no illusions about the fickleness of the fans.

Sorry but that statement is utter bollox - as a so called JCL (albeit lifelong Albion supporter) the opportunity to debate what one believes is right and wrong and to engage in good argument with others isn't any indication of fickleness.

One thing I reckon is consistent about everyone here is that regardless of view all are pretty passionate about "our team" doing as well as it can.

fcportaloo

Nov 1, 2009
I hate to use the term, BUT I am absolutely incredulous about some of the posts that have been appearing on NSC since the Palace game - so can only think all these posters must be 'JCLs', new Albion fans who just fancied supporting their local team so they could watch football at our swanky new home.

We are fifth in the Championship, after having just been promoted, and are having our best season for 20 years. Yet apparently, Gus 'doesn't get it', the background staff are unhappy, half our squad are 'not up to this level' and certain players have been giving 'pathetic' performances...

Surely no-one who attended matches at the Goldstone and Gillingham - or indeed Withdean - would post such utter NONSENSE.

We have a great squad, one of the best managers in the country and play exciting, attacking football. We have just signed possibly the best quality player ever to wear an Albion shirt, have made a great start to the season, and even outplayed Liverpool for 45 minutes.

I assume none of these moaners saw us lose 4-0 at home to Darlington at Priestfield?

UNBELIEVABLE.

Exactly! We're 5th. 5th in The Championship. Playing in a great stadium, pass and move football and just signed Vicente. This not standing and watching us lose at Swindon in the rain. I am most happy to play in this league.

JCL

Better, Stronger, Faster
Jul 2, 2011
East of Eastbourne
Sorry but that statement is utter bollox - as a so called JCL (albeit lifelong Albion supporter) the opportunity to debate what one believes is right and wrong and to engage in good argument with others isn't any indication of fickleness.

One thing I reckon is consistent about everyone here is that regardless of view all are pretty passionate about "our team" doing as well as it can.
This.

ward is god

Dec 26, 2008
Somerset near Yeovil
I was at the 4-0 game at Gillingham and cannot believe the start we have made. I love watching games at the Amex - we are in dreamland. I was also at Ipswich and saw that had we held the lead for longer we could have won the game. They were starting to panic but unfortunately scored soon after and gained the advantage. Last season we had 21 points after 10 games and were top of the league by 2 points, this season at a higher level we have 17 and are 5th. Losing the Palace game has meant we have lost all perspective - we will be fine!

Jun 24, 2010
Goring
I hate to use the term, BUT I am absolutely incredulous about some of the posts that have been appearing on NSC since the Palace game - so can only think all these posters must be 'JCLs', new Albion fans who just fancied supporting their local team so they could watch football at our swanky new home.

We are fifth in the Championship, after having just been promoted, and are having our best season for 20 years. Yet apparently, Gus 'doesn't get it', the background staff are unhappy, half our squad are 'not up to this level' and certain players have been giving 'pathetic' performances...

Surely no-one who attended matches at the Goldstone and Gillingham - or indeed Withdean - would post such utter NONSENSE.

We have a great squad, one of the best managers in the country and play exciting, attacking football. We have just signed possibly the best quality player ever to wear an Albion shirt, have made a great start to the season, and even outplayed Liverpool for 45 minutes.

I assume none of these moaners saw us lose 4-0 at home to Darlington at Priestfield?

UNBELIEVABLE.

If we don't finish top of the league I am demanding a refund and a written apology from Gus, and I am renewing my season ticket at Barcelona.....

Forgive my naivety but what does JCL actually stand for?

"Johnny Come Lately"

Unfortunately for all you people I am one of these to, but unlike some I will be happy with a finish anywhere(except relegation... but wouldn't stop me supporting next season!) Going to as many games as I can this season and enjoying supporting a team I can go to see, and not one just because they had Ryan Giggs and Cantona when I was a kid and my dad didn't try to teach me any better!

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
half our squad are 'not up to this level' and certain players have been giving 'pathetic' performances...

I agree with nearly all your post, but regarding the above, read Gus's comments after the game.

You're probably right - and I'm glad I'm not the only one who'd be perfectly happy with a mid-table finish.

No, I'd be more than happy with a mid-table finish. Those who said we would boss this division were seriously naive. we've had storming starts before, but then gone on to face a relegation battle. Hopefully this season won't be one.

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
Can I respectfully request some guidelines as to what constitutes a JCL?

Exactly how many games do you have to have attended at Gillingham to not be a JCL?
What about games at The Goldstone? Do they count, and how many?
Do evening games count double?
Are you allowed to have missed any games at Withdean? (If you did can they be ignored if you have a letter explaining your absence from a responsible adult?)

I am just genuinely concerned that I might be one of these JCL types but if there is even the faintest possibility that I can join the ranks of the "SBE"s (Sanctimonious Bell Ends), then obviously i would jump at it.

PS.... Is Bell End one word or two?

daveyboy1973

Feb 5, 2010
bexleyheath
the table doesnt lie, i think after 10 games is where generally u finish, however everybody going on about jcl etc etc and where we are etc etc its peoples opinions. forget where we were and concentrate on where we are............ automatic is probably 1 or 2 seasons away if we get the right players in. i think we all know that we are gonna lose games in this league its just the manner of how we lose,,,,,, i think that is the problem, like gus said yesterday we definately have lost something since the leicester game. at the back its too slow and tired and the middle just seem shit scared to get hold of the ball, 2 weeks off a couple of new faces and lets see where we are. one thing i will say... chopra has the ball on his right foot, 10 minutes later and we tell him to have it again on his right foot.... total basics we seem to b struggling at the moment

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
To try and suggest that anyone who was devastated about the Palace result and display isn't a true Brighton fan is absurd. If anything, the total opposite is true. Some games are more important than other, maybe not in terms of points, but in terms of keeping the fans happy.

More generally (and this is easier to say for those of us that said it at the start of the season) managers say that they can start to form an opinion about their team's merits and standing in a division after 12-15 games. So getting over-excited because you're top after 6 games is very premature.

But I expect us to be at least mid-table. That is not based on unrealistic expectations (and I know exactly how sh*t we used to be, as I went to those games). That is based on what we did last season, what other promoted League One teams did last season, our manager, our chairman, who we signed, what we paid, the wages that we have paid, the fact that we paid a lot more than many other Champ teams can afford, the Amex income, future plans (training facilities etc), and you could go on.

If you have had the chance to speak to officials at other Championship clubs, they know Brighton are a factor, either because they have lost players to us, or have been outbid on players. So don't make the mistake of thinking it's all about Gus's aura, he gets the player over the line in a tight race, but we are paying decent money for new players.

Five games without a win, losing four, is a major blow to the confidence, but Gus is still learning too, and there are some weak links at this level. Mainly in defence.

Last edited:

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
No I didn't but I went to every Goldstone game in last 3 years ... don't mean I have any more right to an opinion than the guy that saw his first match last week. Fact is our current form is crap and we've got to do something about it ,... all this "we're 5th" and "best season for 20 years" is romantic crap ... do you really believe that Gus isn't tearing what little hair he has out over it?

There'll defo be some changes in personnel and tactics I think so let the "moaners" as you call them voice their opinion, nout wrong with that remotely

I think that form is the keyword here. Most teams suffer a loss of form at some point. We have been playing great football for a year now. Yes I know we have stepped up a class, but anyone who thought we would walk this league is just plain crazy. I still think we will do very well (top half finish) I also expect Gus to get our form going again. We have had a gruelling schedule, and we have loosing to our biggest rivals is very disappointing, but our form will pick up. Good players don't lose it overnight. Keep the faith people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here