Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fans who have brighton as a second team.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
60+ posts and only two people with the right answer?
the only other conceivable answer would be:
My first team BHA present
My second is BHA Future
My third team BHA Past

3, I never said I have a second team just that I check up the scores of others I have built up some affection for.

There is no correct answer anyway purely opinion. In my opinion. :p

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I suppose it is all in the word 'fan'.

I'm a fan of only one team, but do follow Liverpool. I'll never class myself as a Liverpool fan ever.

I understand why people say "only Brighton", and in the words of Bill Shankly...

"There are only two teams that play football in Liverpool. Liverpool, and Liverpool reserves."

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
my sons and grandsons are all either Villa or Birmingham fans as that is where they were born - except for one who lives in Amsterdam and supports Ajax. Brighton is the second team for all of them although two actively follow Albion by attending matches with me home and away and happily wear the stripes.

I keep an eye on results for clubs from places I have lived but I would be lying if I said any of them were my second club as I am too busy following Albion.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I've worked in Liverpool for nearly 20 years and have converted quite a lot if people to the Albion. Taking kids and youth to matches, Chester City away (BZ debut and hatrick), Tranmere, Huddersfield, Wrexham etc. I probably have about 50 scousers who genuinely support the Seagulls as a second team. Some lads now actually support Brighton as their first team by going to away matches!

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I fully support the Albion but I do have a soft spot for Leicester and Eastbourne Borough. My dad is a Leicester and Brighton fan, I have no idea why he's a Leicester fan but he used to watch the Albion in the 70's/80's home and away. I like Borough though as I have watched them a lot over recent years.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
I have an affection for Leyton Orient FC as I worked there for 7 years, three as head of Security just as Barry Hearn took over, but in no way are they my "second team" !!!

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
I'm not sure I understand... A second team?

Having a football team is like having a wife, you go and support her no matter what. Any second team is like a friends wife or your wife's friend and you look out for how she is doing and say well done in the good times and look a little sad when things aren't at their best.

Its worse than having a wife. You can change your wife, but not your football team.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
my sons and grandsons are all either Villa or Birmingham fans as that is where they were born - except for one who lives in Amsterdam and supports Ajax. Brighton is the second team for all of them although two actively follow Albion by attending matches with me home and away and happily wear the stripes.

I keep an eye on results for clubs from places I have lived but I would be lying if I said any of them were my second club as I am too busy following Albion.

Agree and makes me wonder how others get the time to follow a second team.
Guess it's how you define your 'second' team. Is it a team who you watch when you can't get to the Albion for whatever reason or is it the team whose result you automatically look for (would be Palace for me and as sure as shit is shit they aren't my second team)?
.....and if we are going down that route; which result do you look for first? Your 'second' team or you first enemy?

Mike's Small

Apr 11, 2012
Uckfield
I feel well placed to comment on this topic. I was born and brought up in East London/Essex border area and all my family had always been West Ham so it followed that I would be. We moved to Lewes (via Newhaven, next-door to John Robinson!) when I was about 10.

My first games were at Goldstone around 88/89 against Sunderland (3-0 home win) and a few others, before my dad took me to Upton Park for the Brighton game there (3-1 West Ham, Mike Small first for BHA, hence my username). After that there was only one team for me and Dad and I would regularly travel to West Ham and I began following them away too.

I would still go to Brighton (Goldstone, Priestfield, Withdean) with mates and my then girlfriend (now wife) and always cheer for the Seagulls (albeit with less gusto than for WHU), especially during troubled times thanks to selfish tossers like Bellotti.

When the Amex was built my wife was still playing regular hockey on Saturdays so couldn't commit to a season ticket but she still wanted to go outside of her season and after early 'push-backs' etc, so we decided to share one and sit with her dad and brother (West Upper). I fully enjoyed my games and willed Brighton on in all the games I attended (gave West Ham one to her!). I don't sing much, because it feels weird but I cheer goals and appreciate the good style that Poyet has encouraged.

It still always feels more special to visit Upton Park because it's part of my family history and upbringing, but I love watching football at all levels and put lots of money into BHA (especially in Dick's!) and so feel entitled to have opinions about Brighton and their players, tactics etc.

I always have said that no one should have a 'second team' and so I suppose I'm a bit of a hypocrite, but I enjoy the games, love the opportunity to meet with mates and sit with the 'in-laws' and have few beers. Now we have a little one, it makes even harder for my wife to go so this season so I might well go to more than half of home games, but it won't change who I 'support'.

I wouldn't be able to go to WHU every week so it works perfectly for everyone!

Oh and our daughter won't have pressure to be West Ham because she will be brought up round here, so there!

Sorry that I've waffled!!

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
Nothing wrong with preferring other teams to do well.
I'd rather see Man Utd win the prem than Man City or Chelsea, for instance.
Every game i watch that Albion doesn't play in, i still end up wanting one team to win more than another.
Over time one team might be preferred more frequently and could be thought of as a 2nd team.

deenomeet

ballbags
Apr 2, 2011
My second team is Brighton.I share a season ticket with my wife,who is a massive seagulls fan. I myself am a tractorboy and as much as i love going to Portman Road ,ive got to say the Amex matchday experience is exceptional.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here