Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fans facing lengthy bans for racism

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Board meeting at the Amex

Shall we provide ashtrays and cover for the smokers?

Don't worry about all the smokers they're all be dead in a year according to the packets.

Oh OK cool.

But what about the staff?

Oh no worries they use the cleaning cupboards.

Really?

Yep, out of sight out of mind and all that.

Cool

Any other business?

Nope, I'm gasping for a smoke see you next week xx

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Reading also accommodating. Barber isn’t very trusting of football fans hence the bottle top ban after a game between Arsenal & Spurs an incident totally unrelated to Albion. Smoking areas never gonna happen and after this thread guarantee the stewards will be on bog patrol next home game :facepalm:

Bottle top bans have been in place at many grounds long before Albion finally succumbed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The stewards won't even let you outside even when you want to go home. My husband was feeling unwell soon after we arrived for a game. He wanted to leave, but the stewards wouldn't let him, threatening him that he couldn't come back in later. He was struggling to breathe properly due his asthma, and wanting desperately to get outside. Luckily a steward that knew him came over and persuaded the goons to let him go.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Then there a multitude of clubs breaking the law and suffering no penalty for doing so.

I suggested that our club should follow the example of many others by having a restricted smoking area so that smokers don't use the bogs which is both anti-social and potentially dangerous. As I said, I'm a smoker but I can get through the game without one. Others clearly can't so my proposal seemed a reasonable and achievable alternative.

I am equally as baffled by those who miss 10/15 minutes of every game because they have to have a pint! There are those who must have a drink. And there are those who must have a smoke :shrug:

Wolves, MK Dons & Reading (just off the top of my head) all have designated smoking areas outside of the confines of the stadium itself.

I suspect you have deliberately misinterpreted my post. I have not, and would not, suggest a steward turns a blind eye to let someone out for a smoke. I'm talking about the club having a sanctioned, stewarded, fenced off enclosure for smokers - that has not been beyond the wit of many other clubs to introduce.

You still haven't explained how smokers in the ESU and (more pertinently) WSU are supposed to be accommodated in an outside smoking area.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Then there a multitude of clubs breaking the law and suffering no penalty for doing so.

I suggested that our club should follow the example of many others by having a restricted smoking area so that smokers don't use the bogs which is both anti-social and potentially dangerous. As I said, I'm a smoker but I can get through the game without one. Others clearly can't so my proposal seemed a reasonable and achievable alternative.

I am equally as baffled by those who miss 10/15 minutes of every game because they have to have a pint! There are those who must have a drink. And there are those who must have a smoke :shrug:

Wolves, MK Dons & Reading (just off the top of my head) all have designated smoking areas outside of the confines of the stadium itself.

I suspect you have deliberately misinterpreted my post. I have not, and would not, suggest a steward turns a blind eye to let someone out for a smoke. I'm talking about the club having a sanctioned, stewarded, fenced off enclosure for smokers - that has not been beyond the wit of many other clubs to introduce.

I didn't misinterpret anything, I just don't think you are really thinking it through.

You are suggesting they build some fencing/brickwork around one of the existing exits ?

You would also then (by law) have to have a secure exit from that area to the "outside" outside. It couldn't have a roof, so would need drainage dug in as well.

You are talking tens of thousands of pounds to build an "outside" smoking area, poking out from the main stadium. It would probably require planning permission and let's face it - look a bit shit.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
You still haven't explained how smokers in the ESU and (more pertinently) WSU are supposed to be accommodated in an outside smoking area.
I thought that was obvious they could both have a lovely smoking veranda built on the outside of the stadium. Also means no problem with anyone trying to sneak in and the first step towards the water slide as we then have the launch platform.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

kjgood

I'm not having a dig at all because what you are saying makes sense from a H,S&F perspective, I assume you work in that world?

It’s not about condoning a health choice or otherwise, it’s a about taking simple sensible precautions to mitigate low risk, high consequence events.

Even if the club weren’t concerned about the thousands of deaths if a serious fire spread quickly through one of the upper tiers on a match day, (and I’m sure they are), the buildings insurance for the Amex and the clubs safety certificate to hold events there are surely predicated on it being a non-smoking venue. That’s not even considering the duty of care or personal criminal liability of senior club executives if they were just to turn a blind eye to smoking in the toilet and something happened.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'm not having a dig at all because what you are saying makes sense from a H,S&F perspective, I assume you work in that world?

I don't. I just sit at the very back of WSU and I've just sometimes had the thought (mostly last season when I wanted to think about something other than football) that if there was a serious fire, there's no way I'm getting out.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
i​
I don't. I just sit at the very back of WSU and I've just sometimes had the thought (mostly last season when I wanted to think about something other than football) that if there was a serious fire, there's no way I'm getting out.
You must be able to in a fire situation otherwise it would never of received its safety cert.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I didn't misinterpret anything, I just don't think you are really thinking it through.

You are suggesting they build some fencing/brickwork around one of the existing exits ?

You would also then (by law) have to have a secure exit from that area to the "outside" outside. It couldn't have a roof, so would need drainage dug in as well.

You are talking tens of thousands of pounds to build an "outside" smoking area, poking out from the main stadium. It would probably require planning permission and let's face it - look a bit shit.

No you aren't.

Ever been to Reading? At half time the gates are open. You walk out of the gate into an area enclosed by metal barriers of the type they use for the kettling at Brighton station pre and post games. There are a few stewards stood around keeping an eye. After half time the metal barriers are removed. Cost of all this - NOTHING!

What drainage? It's an enclosed area for smoking in, not a toilet.

You really have over-engineered this haven't you? :D

Oh looky here. From Readings Ground Regulations:

West & Eamonn Dolan Stands: Smokers are permitted to leave by way of reversible turnstiles at Gates 1-6, five minutes prior to half time. A steward will issue a pass-out ticket stating the gate number and date. Spectators will be able to return through the correct turnstile by giving up the voucher to the turnstile operator. The turnstiles will be closed five minutes after the start of the second half. No further re-admission will be permitted.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You really have over-engineered this haven't you?

The only over engineering is the extra hassle for the club so you can have a fag. Tell you what - why don't you write into the club and ask them to arrange the above ?

Please post the response on here.

:clap:

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
The only over engineering is the extra hassle for the club so you can have a fag. Tell you what - why don't you write into the club and ask them to arrange the above ?

Please post the response on here.

:clap:

Not a smoker so I couldn’t really care less but surely it wouldn’t be hard to do it, it would make smokers happy and those of use who don’t smoke wouldn’t be forced to inhale someone’s sly fag in a toilet.

Also being managed it would surely also reduce the risk of a fire from someone smoking in an inappropriate place.

I would imagine it’s not being done due to Premier League regs or just a poor imagine it may have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I'm baffled why some are managing to get confused between RACISM and "bad language".

Racism is totally unacceptable - anywhere at any time. It needs to be reported. It needs to be stamped out.

Bad language? It's a football match ffs. Get a grip.

I find this post extremely interesting in that I too have no issue with swearing.

I wouldn't say I swear lots or swear frequently. However I do swear to show emphasize displeasure at something.

For instance you refer to Racist chanting or behaviour.

I actually think if you were to challenge racist chanting with something along the lines of "Hey mate. That's ****ing outta order. It's totally unnecessary .
and I am finding it ****in offensive and disrespectful"

I would find no issue with someone saying that to someone.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No you aren't.

Ever been to Reading? At half time the gates are open. You walk out of the gate into an area enclosed by metal barriers of the type they use for the kettling at Brighton station pre and post games. There are a few stewards stood around keeping an eye. After half time the metal barriers are removed. Cost of all this - NOTHING!

West & Eamonn Dolan Stands: Smokers are permitted to leave by way of reversible turnstiles at Gates 1-6, five minutes prior to half time. A steward will issue a pass-out ticket stating the gate number and date. Spectators will be able to return through the correct turnstile by giving up the voucher to the turnstile operator. The turnstiles will be closed five minutes after the start of the second half. No further re-admission will be permitted.

That's one stand on one level for away fans.

How do you prevent smoking in the toilets in East and West upper as previously stated in this thread.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That's one stand on one level for away fans.

How do you prevent smoking in the toilets in East and West upper as previously stated in this thread.

Can’t see how smoking could be accommodated........I guess would depend on the numbers wanting to smoke but would need stewarding, and couldn’t really have multitudes of people rushing in opposite directions on the stairs to the upper tiers at half time? The wheezy-chested smoking community would probably struggle to do the stairs twice on a matchday anyway [emoji23][emoji23]

I don’t get that there is that much of a fire risk to be honest, there’s virtually nothing flammable anywhere, it’s more the antisocial & passive smoking element that’s the problem unless there is a remote designated area. I also haven’t seen any evidence of anyone smoking in the WSL toilets personally - is this really a problem ?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
No you aren't.

This is a good idea, means queues will be less too

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Can’t see how smoking could be accommodated........I guess would depend on the numbers wanting to smoke but would need stewarding, and couldn’t really have multitudes of people rushing in opposite directions on the stairs to the upper tiers at half time? The wheezy-chested smoking community would probably struggle to do the stairs twice on a matchday anyway [emoji23][emoji23]

I don’t get that there is that much of a fire risk to be honest, there’s virtually nothing flammable anywhere, it’s more the antisocial & passive smoking element that’s the problem unless there is a remote designated area. I also haven’t seen any evidence of anyone smoking in the WSL toilets personally - is this really a problem ?

Nor in WSU. Never. Last time I saw anyone smoking inside a stadium was at Blackpool away, circa 2009-10. And the person concerned is a notorious plum :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here