Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fans facing lengthy bans for racism

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That is why it would make a fun sweepstake. The number of options for posters with grammatical deficiencies, a healthy interest in calling people Remoaners and trying to prove that racists aren't racists along with the need for an additional account is more than sufficient to withstand a competition. Although the lack of a space after punctuation and "tomatoe" probably narrows it down.

There's a big clue on the Brexit thread.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
There's a big clue on the Brexit thread.
Given the lack of a space after punctuation and a seeming reversion to the original account straight after being challenged, I suggest it's more likely Two Braincells. I've lost track of which account belongs to which original poster but whichever it is, it always amuses me when people try and hide behind another account whilst being unable to hide their writing style. Or thread propensity.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
That is why it would make a fun sweepstake. The number of options for posters with grammatical deficiencies, a healthy interest in calling people Remoaners and trying to prove that racists aren't racists along with the need for an additional account is more than sufficient to withstand a competition. Although the lack of a space after punctuation and "tomatoe" probably narrows it down.

Pretty Pink Fairy remain bot been very quiet recently.Perhaps they had to get a new iPad and forgot their login.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
You make the point well.

At away grounds they have always facilitated me having a puff at halftime. Even at Selhurst Park you can have a halftime fag. I have long wondered why we didn't have similar and just put it down to the fact that Barber wants everybody inside spending their money rather than popping outside for a smoke.

I can get through a game (just!) without a smoke. Probably others cant which is why they are using the bogs. It's not right I agree but all the club has to do - which doesn't appear to be beyond the wit of other grounds I've been to - is fence off an area outside each stand for the half time smokers.

I would never grass up a nicotine addict smoking in the bogs as things stand. If the club provided the option to pop out at half time I certainly would for then there would be no reason for smoking in the stadium itself.

It’s surely to do with the extra stewarding which would have to be provided to prevent people getting in at half time, or even being passed prohibited items to smuggle in.

It’s seen as a needless cost rather than an opportunity to get people to spend at the kiosks

Goliath

Oct 7, 2019

Stop moaning.You sound like someone's worst mother-in-law.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Fairly certain many people queuing for the cubicles aren't there for a shit............

Hmm yes. Those of us who used to be in the north stand at the Goldstone have it indelibly imprinted into their psyche …. Do not get caught short at the football.

I haven’t stopped to consider the motivation of each of those queuing for the gents, but yes, it’s not to use the toilet or smoke a cigarette in a number of cases.

Live and let live, but it’s annoying when my 7 year old can basically give me no more than 3 minutes warning

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You make the point well.

At away grounds they have always facilitated me having a puff at halftime. Even at Selhurst Park you can have a halftime fag. I have long wondered why we didn't have similar and just put it down to the fact that Barber wants everybody inside spending their money rather than popping outside for a smoke.

I can get through a game (just!) without a smoke. Probably others cant which is why they are using the bogs. It's not right I agree but all the club has to do - which doesn't appear to be beyond the wit of other grounds I've been to - is fence off an area outside each stand for the half time smokers.

I would never grass up a nicotine addict smoking in the bogs as things stand. If the club provided the option to pop out at half time I certainly would for then there would be no reason for smoking in the stadium itself.

How would you accommodate an outside smoking area for fans in the WSU ?

I mean I suppose they could go back downstairs and stand outside for a quick halftime puff, but I'd imagine the 40-a-dayers would have a rare old time wheezing their way all the way back to the WSU for the 2nd half. We'd probably lose at least a dozen fans a season to a coronary just through that alone.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I think Paul a Barber is more worried about people sneaking in free for the second half, than losing a few pence profit on a pint of beer.
I agree, stewards should make it possible for people to have a smoke outside at half time. I smoked for 26 years so have sympathy.

People sneaking in free doesn't appear to be an issue for other clubs. You have a fenced off area so you can't get out, and others can't get in. At Reading they even had a tea wagon in the smoking area. Maybe Barber should look at what most other clubs provide to accommodate the smokers; I think providing the outdoor smoking facility would be a far better option than having people smoking within the confines of the stadium.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
How would you accommodate an outside smoking area for fans in the WSU ?

I mean I suppose they could go back downstairs and stand outside for a quick halftime puff, but I'd imagine the 40-a-dayers would have a rare old time wheezing their way all the way back to the WSU for the 2nd half. We'd probably lose at least a dozen fans a season to a coronary just through that alone.

A chance to bring through a few younger fans on the waiting list. Let’s do it

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It’s surely to do with the extra stewarding which would have to be provided to prevent people getting in at half time, or even being passed prohibited items to smuggle in.

It’s seen as a needless cost rather than an opportunity to get people to spend at the kiosks

You have already paid the stewards anyway. They are just standing about. I don't recall any of the outside smoking areas being heavily stewarded. The areas have had gates around them (the ones they use at Brighton station for the queuing kettling - that seemed to go awry on Saturday when many of the gates seemed to have disappeared resulting in a free for all!).

Other clubs manage it just fine. No excuse for us not to do it too. (Or put up with the smoking in the bogs because if there is no option, that's what I'm sure will continue to happen)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
People sneaking in free doesn't appear to be an issue for other clubs. You have a fenced off area so you can't get out, and others can't get in. At Reading they even had a tea wagon in the smoking area. Maybe Barber should look at what most other clubs provide to accommodate the smokers; I think providing the outdoor smoking facility would be a far better option than having people smoking within the confines of the stadium.

You talk of 'the' outdoor smoking facility. Presumably you are actually insisting they provide at least SEVEN separate facilities, to cater for addicts in the N, the S, The ESU, the ESL, The WSL, the WSU, and the 1901 level of the WS? - each and every one to be stewarded, accordingly.

You talk of your experience of being afforded a smoke at away games - presumably this was as an away fan - often treated differently to home fans. Perhaps those clubs also don't lay on multiple smoking zones, either?

If people are THAT desperate for a smoke, you can limit you time in the ground to under two hours, by going in as late as possible. What do these people do at the cinema, or on a plane??

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think the club are absolutely right to clamp down on smoking in the toilet cubicles, and I urge everybody to shop these disgusting, anti-social addicts. Just show a bit of self-control for crying out loud. There is nothing more annoying when approaching a cubicle than to see clouds of smoke billowing out as if the Flying Scotsman were stationed in there. It is really inconsiderate, I mean, where else am I going to go to snort a line?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Obviously fans smoke and that’s their right if they choose. Outside half time smoking areas work perfectly well at other grounds. Unfortunately it doesn’t make the club money so they would rather accommodate drinkers. Alcohol kills more people than smoking ever will a year let alone the social issues involved with alcohol. Of course I’m not saying everyone is an alcoholic just as smokers might never die of a smoking related disease, you just can’t condone one vice and not the other.

Smoking robbed the relatively young lives of two cousins of mine. Leaving behind family.

The more that’s done to making smoking (and secondary smoking) difficult the better.

Smoking is a life and health destroying habit. Absolutely nothing virtuous or benign about it whatsoever.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
You talk of 'the' outdoor smoking facility. Presumably you are actually insisting they provide at least SEVEN separate facilities, to cater for addicts in the N, the S, The ESU, the ESL, The WSL, the WSU, and the 1901 level of the WS? - each and every one to be stewarded, accordingly.

You talk of your experience of being afforded a smoke at away games - presumably this was as an away fan - often treated differently to home fans. Perhaps those clubs also don't lay on multiple smoking zones, either?

If people are THAT desperate for a smoke, you can limit you time in the ground to under two hours, by going in as late as possible. What do these people do at the cinema, or on a plane??
Drinkers can’t seem manage going without a drink so why should a smoker be any different?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here