Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fans facing lengthy bans for racism

Jan 30, 2008
Jeez, do you have to be such a holier than thou bore? The reason that stand went up the way it did was because of years of uncleared detritus being easily ignited by a discarded cigarette and easily enflaming an old wooden stand.

That kind of accumulation of rubbish is no longer allowed, and modern stadia are not built of wood (bar Forest Green soon). One smoker did not kill the Bradford 56, the era of laziness and poor investment did.

Loves people that scream for a Policeman ,may even send DB a Birthday card ?
regards
DF

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Obviously fans smoke and that’s their right if they choose. Outside half time smoking areas work perfectly well at other grounds. Unfortunately it doesn’t make the club money so they would rather accommodate drinkers. Alcohol kills more people than smoking ever will a year let alone the social issues involved with alcohol. Of course I’m not saying everyone is an alcoholic just as smokers might never die of a smoking related disease, you just can’t condone one vice and not the other.

I haven't condemned nor condoned anything. I was talking about safety.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Obviously fans smoke and that’s their right if they choose. Outside half time smoking areas work perfectly well at other grounds. Unfortunately it doesn’t make the club money so they would rather accommodate drinkers. Alcohol kills more people than smoking ever will a year let alone the social issues involved with alcohol. Of course I’m not saying everyone is an alcoholic just as smokers might never die of a smoking related disease, you just can’t condone one vice and not the other.

It’s not about condoning a health choice or otherwise, it’s a about taking simple sensible precautions to mitigate low risk, high consequence events.

Even if the club weren’t concerned about the thousands of deaths if a serious fire spread quickly through one of the upper tiers on a match day, (and I’m sure they are), the buildings insurance for the Amex and the clubs safety certificate to hold events there are surely predicated on it being a non-smoking venue. That’s not even considering the duty of care or personal criminal liability of senior club executives if they were just to turn a blind eye to smoking in the toilet and something happened.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
16.3% increased risk of getting cancer by people who have never smoked and have been exposed to passive smoking compared to those who have never smoked and not been exposed to passive smoking ("With respect to overall cancer risk, odds ratio (OR) involving never smokers with significant exposure to secondhand smoke compared to never smokers without such exposure was 1.163 (95%CI 1.058–1.279)") https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6164459/

infinitely greater

Oxymoron, very apt.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can we also ban fans who scream out obscenities and make hand gestures?

As long as the old-school wanker gesture isn’t banned.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Can't say I have ever felt the urge to go at the football. Despite the general good state of the toilets, it wouldn't be a choice I would take lightly, however there always seem to be people queueing up for the cubicles. I have never noticed anyone smoking, but I would have no qualms about reporting them. Do you piss on your own shoes at the football for nostalgic reasons?

Fairly certain many people queuing for the cubicles aren't there for a shit............

Goliath

Oct 7, 2019
Or the "throwing your own fist" gesture. Or the two-finger "fak orrffff", or the "wheeeeey" when it goes wide gesture, or the cupped ears to the away fans gesture...

You don't get such gestures at Wimbledon or the henley regatta which one attends so why must one be a witness to such vulgarity when attending the Amex stadium?

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Nanny state

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think you might have the wrong thread. This should be in the "Too much alcohol" thread. It's a fantastic non-alcholic ale from BrewDog - have you tried it?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
You don't get such gestures at Wimbledon or the henley regatta which one attends so why must one be a witness to such vulgarity when attending the Amex stadium?
Who's going to run the sweepstake on who this is the new account of? Put me down for Spence.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

You make the point well.

At away grounds they have always facilitated me having a puff at halftime. Even at Selhurst Park you can have a halftime fag. I have long wondered why we didn't have similar and just put it down to the fact that Barber wants everybody inside spending their money rather than popping outside for a smoke.

I can get through a game (just!) without a smoke. Probably others cant which is why they are using the bogs. It's not right I agree but all the club has to do - which doesn't appear to be beyond the wit of other grounds I've been to - is fence off an area outside each stand for the half time smokers.

I would never grass up a nicotine addict smoking in the bogs as things stand. If the club provided the option to pop out at half time I certainly would for then there would be no reason for smoking in the stadium itself.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
That is why it would make a fun sweepstake. The number of options for posters with grammatical deficiencies, a healthy interest in calling people Remoaners and trying to prove that racists aren't racists along with the need for an additional account is more than sufficient to withstand a competition. Although the lack of a space after punctuation and "tomatoe" probably narrows it down.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Surprised nobody has denounced these racists as 'thick old red-faced gammons'.Were they pasty-faced young liberals?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You make the point well.

At away grounds they have always facilitated me having a puff at halftime. Even at Selhurst Park you can have a halftime fag. I have long wondered why we didn't have similar and just put it down to the fact that Barber wants everybody inside spending their money rather than popping outside for a smoke.

I can get through a game (just!) without a smoke. Probably others cant which is why they are using the bogs. It's not right I agree but all the club has to do - which doesn't appear to be beyond the wit of other grounds I've been to - is fence off an area outside each stand for the half time smokers.

I would never grass up a nicotine addict smoking in the bogs as things stand. If the club provided the option to pop out at half time I certainly would for then there would be no reason for smoking in the stadium itself.

I think Paul a Barber is more worried about people sneaking in free for the second half, than losing a few pence profit on a pint of beer.
I agree, stewards should make it possible for people to have a smoke outside at half time. I smoked for 26 years so have sympathy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here