Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fans facing lengthy bans for racism

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Obviously fans smoke and that’s their right if they choose. Outside half time smoking areas work perfectly well at other grounds. Unfortunately it doesn’t make the club money so they would rather accommodate drinkers. Alcohol kills more people than smoking ever will a year let alone the social issues involved with alcohol. Of course I’m not saying everyone is an alcoholic just as smokers might never die of a smoking related disease, you just can’t condone one vice and not the other.

Really? Do you want to back that up with some statistics?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Obviously fans smoke and that’s their right if they choose. Outside half time smoking areas work perfectly well at other grounds. Unfortunately it doesn’t make the club money so they would rather accommodate drinkers. Alcohol kills more people than smoking ever will a year let alone the social issues involved with alcohol. Of course I’m not saying everyone is an alcoholic just as smokers might never die of a smoking related disease, you just can’t condone one vice and not the other.

You have made the mistake of trying to support your narrative with fake facts.

"Almost six million people die from tobacco use and 2.5 million from harmful use of alcohol each year worldwide, the World Health Organization (WHO)"

:whistle:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I can’t agree with you on this.

Yes the circumstances are completely different to Bradford, and the stadium material is completely different but we can’t be complacent about fire safety.

If a serious and fast spreading fire occurred on a match day the consequences would be grim. Especially if it were WSU or ESU. We wouldn’t be able to evacuate quickly enough.

Fire’s do still happen in modern buildings and they happen for different reasons.

I’d happily grass someone up for smoking in the bogs.

Me too, if only for the reason it's ****ish. It has happened once in 30 years on my train home from work. The **** looked like his mother had disintegrated his genome in utero with drink (probably meths). If you want to identify as a few chromosomes short of bona fide human, spark up in a public building :facepalm:

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Surely the proximity of the cistern makes smoking in the bogs low-risk.

Mainly saying this cos Rotherham fans turning the Wembley toilets into something resembling a 1979s working men's club a few years back is one of the finest sights I've ever seen

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Just so everyone knows...

First insult was against Sissoko, couldn’t quite believe the words used, but didn’t know who said it. Second time, comment amount Son. When I looked around bloke behind was telling him to pack it in. He took exception when I called him a racist and not to say it again, as with all these knobheads he started on the verbals and offered to take it outside, surprisingly when I asked him to join me he refused. My mate had noted his seat number and went to report it. The racist even threatened to kill me so an extra thing to report to the police.

Must say the stewards and police were excellent and statements given to the police after the game. Everyone around us were very supportive and the stewards had no issues identifying him as everyone pointed him out. No place for racists anywhere in society, can’t quite believe what he thought would happen shouting out
Not seen him before in our part of the North Stand as mainly season ticket holders. I hope no one made a mistake and gave their ticket to this guy.

If you ever hear racists comments please report it, it is the only we will eradicate such nonsense from football.

Was it the strawberry blond individual with the buzz cut hair style ?
If so he s been there years !
If not What did he look like ?
TBF I didn’t hear the chants or see much
Despite being a few rows directly behind it
Too engrossed in the game 🤔😎

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Me too, if only for the reason it's ****ish. It has happened once in 30 years on my train home from work. The **** looked like his mother had disintegrated his genome in utero with drink (probably meths). If you want to identify as a few chromosomes short of bona fide human, spark up in a public building :facepalm:
Didn’t a pissed up fan chunder over the poor people in the row in front recently West stand lower ??? Anyway it’s pointless argument and getting boring bit like the remain leave shite.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Sir Sir someone’s smoking in the toilet :lolol: get a life ffs.

Years ago at work, in the days when people smoked everywhere, a male, colleague, known for his straight talking and lack of refinement came out from the gents smoking a fag, a very prim and proper and senior female colleague was passing and said to him, "Ron, you are not one of those awful people who smokes on the toilet are you?" to which he replied, "If your shit stank like mine, you would smoke on the toilet too." I shall never forget the look on her face.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How would you accommodate an outside smoking area for fans in the WSU ?

I mean I suppose they could go back downstairs and stand outside for a quick halftime puff, but I'd imagine the 40-a-dayers would have a rare old time wheezing their way all the way back to the WSU for the 2nd half. We'd probably lose at least a dozen fans a season to a coronary just through that alone.

There are no such people in WSU. Fact.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I can recall racism from the Albion crowd towards players in the late 70s / early 80s, but never heard it since. Of course it has happened, but I've never actually heard it at a game.

However a friend of mine was racially abused by our supporters at a Brentford away game when we were in league one.

I know this sounds odd without (going into details), but I didn't realise it was directed at him at the time and I thought I misheard. It was only afterwards (because of their behaviour), I realised I hadn't.

They were utterly hammered so we just left it. Wouldn't do that today.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You make the point well.

At away grounds they have always facilitated me having a puff at halftime. Even at Selhurst Park you can have a halftime fag. I have long wondered why we didn't have similar and just put it down to the fact that Barber wants everybody inside spending their money rather than popping outside for a smoke.

I can get through a game (just!) without a smoke. Probably others cant which is why they are using the bogs. It's not right I agree but all the club has to do - which doesn't appear to be beyond the wit of other grounds I've been to - is fence off an area outside each stand for the half time smokers.

I would never grass up a nicotine addict smoking in the bogs as things stand. If the club provided the option to pop out at half time I certainly would for then there would be no reason for smoking in the stadium itself.

That's simple. You aren't allowed to leave a stadium and be re-admitted during the game.

Some older ground have "outside" areas but within the boundaries of the stadium i.e. post turnstiles. It's up to the clubs discretion whether smoking is allowed there ( I suspect it's technically not ), but some clubs turn a blind eye.

From memory Millwall allow(ed) it, but Fulham don't although it's almost impossible to police there.

The Amex doesn't have such areas. If you "popped outside" a steward letting you back in be in danger of losing their job.

Last edited:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
That's simple. You aren't allowed to leave a stadium and be re-admitted during the game.

Some older ground have "outside" areas but within the boundaries of the stadium i.e. post turnstiles. It's up to the clubs discretion whether smoking is allowed there ( I suspect it's technically not ), but some clubs turn a blind eye.

From memory Millwall allow(ed) it, but Fulham don't although it's almost impossible to police there.

The Amex doesn't have such areas. If you "popped outside" a steward letting you back in be in danger of losing their job.

Walk out WSL at one end. Enjoy a luxurious fag break. Walk to other end, say you've just arrived, go in.

Of course this only works if a friend failed to make it and you've still got their ticket. Does feel marvellous though.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Reading also accommodating. Barber isn’t very trusting of football fans hence the bottle top ban after a game between Arsenal & Spurs an incident totally unrelated to Albion. Smoking areas never gonna happen and after this thread guarantee the stewards will be on bog patrol next home game :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is there anyone there? Coz you don’t make much noise, fact :)

We have take a vow of silence.

p0217sds.jpg

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Then there a multitude of clubs breaking the law and suffering no penalty for doing so.

I suggested that our club should follow the example of many others by having a restricted smoking area so that smokers don't use the bogs which is both anti-social and potentially dangerous. As I said, I'm a smoker but I can get through the game without one. Others clearly can't so my proposal seemed a reasonable and achievable alternative.

I am equally as baffled by those who miss 10/15 minutes of every game because they have to have a pint! There are those who must have a drink. And there are those who must have a smoke :shrug:

Wolves, MK Dons & Reading (just off the top of my head) all have designated smoking areas outside of the confines of the stadium itself.

I suspect you have deliberately misinterpreted my post. I have not, and would not, suggest a steward turns a blind eye to let someone out for a smoke. I'm talking about the club having a sanctioned, stewarded, fenced off enclosure for smokers - that has not been beyond the wit of many other clubs to introduce.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here