Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Famous peoples deaths that have shaken you up?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It's odd but for me the death that shocked more than any other was Gary Speed the ex international and manager of Wales. I still can't get my head around why someone who had so much to live for could kill themselves. Bowies death is a slight surprise but many more people die from cancer much younger.

As a sane man (we hope) you should really be able to get your head around why Gary Speed hung himself.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Also in retrospect the death of Jimmy Saville was a bit of shame as I would have loved him to be around to face the music.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The Queen mother . Totally out of the blue for me.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I actually went up to London (Friday night i think) to see Princess Diana's coffin being driven through the streets. Very moving with thousands in attendance. I personally believe you have to be there to really feel the somber atmosphere of any death.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Ayrton Senna.. The accident didnt look too bad at the time, as sometimes people walk out of the car after its done a few sommersaults.

Being the best driver at the time, i felt a bit guilty hoping the likes of Nigel Mansell and others would compete with him.

Senna v Schumacer( who is not in great shape now) in the same car would have been very interesting.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Paul Hunter, the snooker player, dying of cancer aged 28.

I've read his wife's book Unbreakable and everything they went through. It was such a rare and painful stomach cancer he had that I still shed a few tears reading it. How he underwent treatment, still played decent snooker and dealing with being in the public eye and all that while his wife was pregnant but he got to see his daughter born just before he passed away. The saddest book I've ever read but feel privileged to have watched Paul play snooker live at Wembley Arena.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Robin Williams REALLY got me.

So many of his films had been a massive part of my childhood that I really struggled to comprehend that he'd gone. I still do, actually.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Paul Hunter, the snooker player, dying of cancer aged 28.

I've read his wife's book Unbreakable and everything they went through. It was such a rare and painful stomach cancer he had that I still shed a few tears reading it. How he underwent treatment, still played decent snooker and dealing with being in the public eye and all that while his wife was pregnant but he got to see his daughter born just before he passed away. The saddest book I've ever read but feel privileged to have watched Paul play snooker live at Wembley Arena.
A great player too, who probably would have won a world championship if he had stayed in good health.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
it's the unexpected shockers that hit home for me. Diana Lennon and Elvis were the biggies but I can recall as a kid SId James dying very suddenly and on stage and that was massive news. Tommy Cooper dying on live TV was also a shocker. And MIchael Hutchence was a bolt out of the blue.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have never been emotional about any personality passing away as I didnt know them personally but I did feel for Mel Hopkins when he passed away as I remembered him as a great left back for Tottenham and The Albion and he was in a bed very near to my mum in Barnabas Worthing.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Tony Wilson

(and John Peel)

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Spike Milligan....I had always wanted to meet the rambling old git.......sadly missed by me.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
John Lennon, Robin Williams, Freddie Mercury, Michael Hutchence and my boyhood hero, Peter Osgood, all shocked and saddened me with their passing.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Adolf Hitler. I would like to have had the chance to ask him what really makes him tick

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
All because they were unexpected and in no particular order;

Princess Di
Elvis Presley
John Lennon
David Bowie
Ayrton Senna

Edit: Michael Jackson

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here