Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Famous peoples deaths that have shaken you up?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Not sure how anybody could be that shocked by Marley or Mercury, they were terminally ill for quite a while before they died.

Freddie Mercury died the day after it was announced that he had AIDS, both of which were enormous shocks at the time.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Freddie Mercury died the day after it was announced that he had AIDS, both of which were enormous shocks at the time.

Have to confess that I didn't realise that but I do remember thinking how awful he looked for quite a while before he died, so I can't say it came as a shock when he did die.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Michael Jackson, slightly strangely (not to mention embarrassingly). Partly because Off The Wall was the first album I owned - I still think it's a masterpiece.

But it was more the fact that I completely remembered when Thriller had come out, how bloody good it was, then it going so huge etc. He was about the first major star to die whose peak period I'd liked and remembered well myself, whereas as a kid I'd had to be informed by others why the deaths of Elvis and John Lennon had mattered so much.

Nothing embarrassing about that in the slightest MOH.

Michael Jackson for me too.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It's odd but for me the death that shocked more than any other was Gary Speed the ex international and manager of Wales. I still can't get my head around why someone who had so much to live for could kill themselves. Bowies death is a slight surprise but many more people die from cancer much younger.

Well that was the press and their threat to run an article on his personal life that done that. And like another footballer before who did similar, although circumstances slightly different but same theme

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Bobby Moore, George Best, John Lennon,George Harrison but Bowie has really got to me.

I am seeing too many well known people younger than me dying which is scary.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well that was the press and their threat to run an article on his personal life that done that. And like another footballer before who did similar, although circumstances slightly different but same theme
I did not know about a story possibly coming out in the press, did it concern the last great footballing taboo then?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not sure how anybody could be that shocked by Marley or Mercury, they were terminally ill for quite a while before they died.

They may have been ill but there wasn't the press intrusion that there is now. I was genuinely shocked about Marley, the only news that I'd heard was that he had a problem with his toe

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I did not know about a story possibly coming out in the press, did it concern the last great footballing taboo then?

You need to be careful what is actually written on this subject because the newspaper I think denied they were going to run a story. I think they claim that they only asked him to comment but in the inner circles of football lots of people know the exact circumstances and chain of events.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The deaths of people I know and love upset me. I don't know any celebs so my grief when one dies is no different to my reaction when someone else I don't know dies.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The deaths of people I know and love upset me. I don't know any celebs so my grief when one dies is no different to my reaction when someone else I don't know dies.
But the question wasn't about grief it was about being shocked when you heard about someone dying.

I'd forgotten about Senna. That was really surreal as I was down in Brighton and on the pier of all places when I heard it on the radio. Didn't believe what I'd heard at first, or basically until I got to a t.v. screen.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
The senseless murder of Lennon was shocking but as I was a few weeks shy of my teen years the enormity of it didn't really sink in until years later. The death of Rik Mayall & Steve Marriott hit me hard, but Bowies passing is definitely the worse.

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
Johnny Cash .........as he was so intertwined with my memories of my late father and that he died so soon after June probably of a broken heart .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here