Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Famous peoples deaths that have shaken you up?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Freddie Mercury died the day after it was announced that he had AIDS, both of which were enormous shocks at the time.

There was a huge amount of rumour about at the time, and his final video kind of confirmed he wasn't long left. It didn't surprise or shock me when he died.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
This for me as well, always driving through Barnes past that tree, kept the moment to the forefront, too young to die, still love the music. Ride a White Swan

Marc Bolan,
I was 15 at the time and well into the glam music, when i saw his death announced on Newspaper hoarding i was completely dumbstruck thinking, it can't be true.
He was famous, he was a rock star, he was an idol, and people like that don't die, Well to a 15 year old they didn't and it was really the first time i physically realised that no one was immortal.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Philip Lynott, 36. RIP

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
A weird one, but the death of James Gandolfini really got me. I hadn't long got through The Soprano's box set and I think Tony Soprano was a character who each of us could connect with in some way.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Three particularly spring to mind are Paul Hunter, Phil Hughes and recently Matt Hobden. They were all people I’d watched on tv or in person and mentally, probably even subconsciously I’d got an impression of where their careers were heading. I don’t think I ever sat down and thought “where will they be in ten years”. But if you’d asked me about them I had an opinion on their careers so far and where I thought they’d get to. When I heard of their deaths it was startling, because you realise with a real bluntness, that’s the end of it, they’ll never reach their full potential, and that made me very sad for the passing of all of them.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Having just heard him on the radio, I am reminded of Ian Dury.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
I was affected by Lennon, Mercury and Bowie......all icons from my musical awakenings in the early seventies. I cannot imagine what I will be like when Alice Cooper goes.

But far more than any of the above, I am still reeling from Lemmy's passing. I never saw Lennon live...and I only saw Queen and Bowie a handful of times a long time ago. With Motorhead , it has been a constant live experience for the last 38 years , an annual event .I have/had tickets for the end of this month. So Lemmy's passing has hit me the hardest because not only has that great man died , but so has Motorhead , and I still cannot get my head around the fact I will never experience seeing Motorhead ever again.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
No one, I don't any one famous that has died, I have meet a few people like JC although I did not know him so can't pretend it affected me. How could anyone famous who has died affect you, I don't get it you may have liked their movies, or music but that's it you don't have a connection just because you like them or it....

Just because you once saw your hero on stage and he/she played your favorite song that means so much to you, it could have been writing just for you (and a million others) he/she then caught your eye (along with the five people around you) ..... you knew you had a connection. Bollox

I tend to save my shock, grief & sympathy for people that I knew, talked, laughed, loved or got angry with.

Last edited:

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
In an age of obsessive 'celebrification' I can honestly say nothing has come close to shocking me like the death of David Bowie. Perhaps because he wasn't a 'celebrity' at all. I stopped the car when I heard it on my way into work. Absolute disbelief. He was the coolest, most innovative and engaging artist I have seen in my lifetime. No-one else comes close.

Cobain's death felt terribly sad because he had such raw talent and Nirvana's music was ground-breaking and highly-charged. As such, it was more the passing of an era.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
No one, I don't any one famous that has died, I have meet a few people like JC although I did not know him so can't pretend it affected me. How could anyone famous who has died affect you, I don't get it you may have liked their movies, or music but that's it you don't have a connection just because you like them or it....

Just because you once saw your hero on stage and he/she played your favorite song that means so much to you, it could have been writing just for you (and a million others) he/she then caught your eye (along with the five people around you) ..... you knew you had a connection. Bollox

I tend to save my shock, grief & sympathy for people that I knew, talked, laughed, loved or got angry with.

I know what you mean to an extent, but would also say I have been touched by the death of a small number of people, because I valued what they did, had particular respect for them, liked their work or whatever. I wasn't grief stricken at hearing about Bowie, but it did make me sad.

Set against that, I still remember the day that Diana died. It was the day we were going to celebrate my Brother's 5oth Birthday - 1997. I had got up early to go down to the kitchen to make some tea, turned the radio on, heard the news as it broke or as it was still fairly new, and thought "Oh, that's sad". That was probably about 7 to 7.30.

By about 10am, when we were getting ready to go over to Worthing for the birthday celebrations, I/We were thinking whether there was anything else going on in the world. About 2 hours plus of going on about absolutely nothing else I thought was way, way over the top. I have Republican tendencies anyway, but all the stuff that surrounded the run-up to the funeral just left me totally cold.

A lot of other people I know, though, got totally caught up in it all while many, like me, wondered what all the fuss was about.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
When Mandela died I had a conversation with the missus about who is left alive who has had such a massive impact on the world. Ali was the only person who, on his death, could attract heads of state from around the world who would want to go rather than forced to go.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
The deaths of well-known people tend to only shake you up when they are unexpected. I was probably saddest when Grant McLennan (from the band "The Go Betweens") died because I'd enjoyed them very much and it was to me utterly unexpected and sudden.

People can of course feel grief and upset for whoever they want. But often I think people sometimes are grieving for a symbol rather than absolutely the person in question, who they probably didn't know at all. Bowie meant a lot to people in many ways, as far as I can see, and it's everything they represented to them as well as just the individual they are upset about. I liked Bowie's music a lot (I think I've bought almost every one of his albums over the years, though I don't love them all), but I didn't really feel any connection to him as a person - I just enjoyed some of the art/music he made. Maybe you had to be there in the 1970s for that more personal effect.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
He had the ability to fascinate and interest weak minded sheep.

Voted Man of the year by Time magazine. One can understand why Hitler had the backing of Germany. Who on here can honestly say that if they were German at that time that they would not have supported a man who offered the Nation a new beginning.

Voted Man of the year by Time magazine. One can understand why Hitler had the backing of Germany. Who on here can honestly say that if they were German at that time that they would not have supported a man who offered the Nation a new beginning.

Me! suss the nasty people pretty quick tbh! Alot of people did not support him back then but it was a little awkward to have a moan up tbf!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here