Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer was the wrong choice.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Brovian said:
Who said he didn't? Fortunately most people (although not all) disagree with him, therefore most of the posts on this thread will be stating the opposite view. Some will do it eloquently, some will take the piss and others will just be rants.

It was the rants I was referring to.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
People are entitled to their opinion quite rightly and I'm happy to discuss to and fro openly - but opinions were discussed only about 5 YEARS AGO, so a little late to pipe up now...
:nono:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
5 years ago . . . . . which is why people are getting complacent, bored, and impatient.

why are people so incapable of making decisions these days ? ? ?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
FIVE years ago, thats the problem, and if we are honest it looks like it could be another FIVE years until we get a ground. Thats a quarter of my life!!!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
zefarelly said:
5 years ago . . . . . which is why people are getting complacent, bored, and impatient.

well yes agreed but I'm getting annoyed at the reinventing the wheel people are attempting to do...The club decided one thing and now we're jumping through hoops to get it...The road to paradise is rarely smooth....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have always advocated that the answer WAS Beeding Cement Works and despite the people on here who say it wouldn't have happened it was 1 signature away from happening agreed by the council agreed by the bank agreed by the club about 12 houses that could have objected but one prat from Lancashire changed his mind at the last minute We would have been playing there by now.

However, that was then, it is not now a practical idea and neither is any other site so we have gone so far with Falmer we have got to see it through to the end irrespective of the final outcome which we all wish and hope will be YES.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
BensGrandad said:
I have always advocated that the answer WAS Beeding Cement Works and despite the people on here who say it wouldn't have happened it was 1 signature away from happening agreed by the council agreed by the bank agreed by the club about 12 houses that could have objected but one prat from Lancashire changed his mind at the last minute We would have been playing there by now.

However, that was then, it is not now a practical idea and neither is any other site so we have gone so far with Falmer we have got to see it through to the end irrespective of the final outcome which we all wish and hope will be YES.

not wishing to sound pedantic - but the council hadn't agreed it as no planning application was ever submitted. the council may have said they would support it (as indeed brighton and hove have with falmer) but that, in itself, doesn't deliver planning permission.

but you are correct about Mr Archer suffocating this idea at birth - and therefore stopping it even being contemplated until it could not be delievered within the revised planning rules

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was told that it was the council who instigated the suggestion of moving to Beeding and where even prepared to fund some of the developement. However, that is all water under the bridge now. I am becoming seriouly concerned that I will ever see BHA play at Falmer. At the time of going to Withdean we were told 3 years maximum, and I am not having a pop at DK or anybody at he club but at the time I said I would buy a senior citizens ticket at Withdean. Which I have done for this season, will I ever get to see Falmer completed during my life time?

Ben has been watching BHA since the last season at the Goldstone, he is 12 next month will he ever buy a junior ticket at Falmer for himself it is looking rather ominous.

Last edited:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Despite all this stuff about whether or not Archer pulled the plug on the Beeding idea and whether or not 'the Council' would have supported it, is it not the case thatBeeding isn't located in Brighton & Hove's boundary, its in Adur DC (?)/West Sussex County Council. I suspect they would have come down on any planning application like a ton of bricks; and then some.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Screaming J said:
Despite all this stuff about whether or not Archer pulled the plug on the Beeding idea and whether or not 'the Council' would have supported it, is it not the case thatBeeding isn't located in Brighton & Hove's boundary, its in Adur DC (?)/West Sussex County Council. I suspect they would have come down on any planning application like a ton of bricks; and then some.

And as it's nowhere near a railway station it would have fallen foul of government requirements on sustainable transport. How the hell would non-car drivers get there?

Pity, cos Beeding Cement Works is a blot on the landscape.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Gwylan said:
And as it's nowhere near a railway station it would have fallen foul of government requirements on sustainable transport. How the hell would non-car drivers get there?

Pity, cos Beeding Cement Works is a blot on the landscape.

It would actually have been easy enough to run buses up from Shoreham station, or from any other station along the coast line with easy access to the A27.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Dies Irae said:
I dont think people are not backing the club, I just feel that people are expressing their frustrations by questioning the wisdom of our stance. Yes we all agree in hinesite things maybe have been done differently and these things seen on the horizon, however that does not stop the discussion.

We, from day 1 questioned the wisdom of the statement..."There is no plan B..." All our eggs appear to be in one basket and no matter what you feel about DK or LDC or De Vecchi, this was always a very dangerous path we were going down.

Our supporters have got behind this board 100% and will do so again, irrespective of LDC and the rest, but we must be allowed to express our concerns and not be attacked as stupid and disloyal, which it appears certain people are persuing!

Thank you.

I have backed this club 100%. I've been a supporter since 1960, a season ticket holder for four years and I gave the club a cheque for £250 to help out last year.

So do not call me disloyal.

I am however frustrated like so many other fans. And therefore I question whether we did indeed make the right decision in going for the Falmer option.

I was interested in the mention of Hassocks by someone on this thread. There's a large expanse of scrubby ground to the south of the town around Hassocks F.C. ground. There's a rail station and decent road connections. Well???

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
How many buses would have to be used then? 5, 10, 20? There's enough traffic in Shoreham on Saturdays as it is.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
goldstone said:
There's a large expanse of scrubby ground to the south of the town around Hassocks F.C. ground. There's a rail station and decent road connections. Well???
Well, that's got me convinced. :shootself

Chopper West

Dec 9, 2004
Now that the West Pier has burnt down why not build it there?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Lord Bracknell said:
Partly in Adur. Partly in Horsham.

Not to mention in the middle of nowhere, no Station, no buses to speak of and not great for cars.

Great idea !

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Dick Knights Mum said:
Well I could walk there.

Splendid...we'd all be going to the match from DKM's and back there for a party afterwards. :drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here