Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer was the wrong choice.

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
goldstone said:
With all this hassle it appears pretty obvious that the club made the wrong decision with Falmer.

And no, I'm not playing into the hands of Lewes DC.

But let's face the facts, would any other location have created this much trouble and this long a delay which is now affecting the very future of the club?

Me, I'd rather just have a stadium. I don't care a damn where it is located.
Sheepcote Valley ... fine. So what if the public transportation is poor. Build it and they will come!
Shoreham Harbour ... fine. Yes, I know the road links are poor, but at least there's a railway.
Toads Hole and Waterhall ... both just fine in my opinion, but I know there'd be planning problems (road access in the case of the former and "wrong side of the bypass" in the case of the latter.

Look, just get us a stadium, OK?
I don't care where it is.
I don't care what it looks like.
Just 20,000 - 25,000 seats (actually I'd personally like some terracing!) and ideally the possibility for expansion (for when we're in the Premiership) ... oh, and a football pitch!

had a planning application have gone in for any of these other sites you would have had just as much, if not more opposition than with Falmer !

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Dougal said:
how far out have we scanned for a site , i would actually not mind going within a 15mile radius of Bton

I cant remember but I think we could look up to 20 miles away. Dont quote me though as I maybe wrong.

Last edited:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I honestly dont think we are ever going to get Falmer. This is just dragging on and on, I think other sites would have been approved by now, but of course its too late.

I still think we'll be at Withdean in 5 years time.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Uncle Buck said:
Pretty sure it is in fact something along the lines of a 9 mile radius of the Pavillion.

That sounds more like it actually, dont know where I got 20 miles from.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Uncle Buck said:
Pretty sure it is in fact something along the lines of a 9 mile radius of the Pavillion.

Yes I believe you're right but why could we build it somewhere like Hassocks ? What's the difference between that compared to what happened to Wimbledon FC ? Milton Keynes is a damn sight farther away than 20 miles !

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
goldstone said:
But let's face the facts, would any other location have created this much trouble and this long a delay which is now affecting the very future of the club?
Yes it would.

goldstone said:
Sheepcote Valley ... fine. So what if the public transportation is poor. Build it and they will come!
And therein lies the problem. Gridlock across eastern Brighton. And of a pissy, wet, rainy cold night in November - no, they will not come, especially if it is a pain in the arse to get to.

goldstone said:
Shoreham Harbour ... fine. Yes, I know the road links are poor, but at least there's a railway.
Where? Shoreham station? Southwick Station? What about people who want/need to drive? Again, gridlock. Plus the small matter that there is nowhere within the harbour suitable enough or big enough to actually build it.

goldstone said:
Toads Hole and Waterhall ... both just fine in my opinion, but I know there'd be planning problems (road access in the case of the former and "wrong side of the bypass" in the case of the latter.
'Wrong side of the by-pass' is not half the problem. Building access roads to Waterhall would run into extra MILLIONS. The current road set-up for both sites woefully inadequate. Oh, and the small matter of no rail link to either site.

Yes, you do have the right to say what you want, but, unless you consider yourself a comedian, or arch-ironic social commentator, it's best to know what you are on about before you deliver that pile of horseshit, you LDC apologist. So no Falmer is not the wrong place. Idiot.

Pay attention next time.

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
goldstone said:

Dear oh dear :nono:
Have you just woken up from an 8 year coma?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
LDC's lies and scare mongering are even winning round our own fans :eek:

When are we going to do something ???

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Re: Re: Falmer was the wrong choice.

Pay attention next time. [/B]

You cant resist it can you

Albion Rob

Excuse my naivety but was there no way we could have sat down eight years ago with the council and residents groups in different areas where a stadium could have been built (site next to the station which was derelict at the time for example) and thrashed things out early.

Or are they not allowed to work with councils before putting in applications?

Sometimes you have to wonder whether this county actually 'deserves' a football club.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
LDC have not won me around TLO, I just want to do something nasty to them like telling them

OY BAKER YOU WANKER JUST FECK OFF AND DE VECCHI YOU ARE A DISGRACE

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Fragmented Badger said:
I don't understand why there is this fear that our lack of a stadium is "threatening the existence of the club." Sure, we are losing £20k a week, and we cannot possibly sustain that indefinitely, but if Falmer got turned down, then we could just cut our costs by £20k, and settle for watching a league 2 team, maybe even a conference one.

And that is what Falmer Parish Council and the Regency Society told us should happen at the last public inquiry. If I remember correctly "we should be prepared to make sacrifices" was the phrase used by Falmer's representative, a certain Mrs Cuttress. They do not support the Albion getting a new stadium as they always claim but want us to stay at Withdean and wither away.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Albion Rob said:
Excuse my naivety but was there no way we could have sat down eight years ago with the council and residents groups in different areas where a stadium could have been built (site next to the station which was derelict at the time for example) and thrashed things out early.

Or are they not allowed to work with councils before putting in applications?

Sometimes you have to wonder whether this county actually 'deserves' a football club.
They did. That's how they arrived at Falmer being the best/only site.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Whether you agree with him or not, Goldstone has a right to post an opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here