Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer stadium deadline extended

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
it's ok mate.......... I have just taken delivery of some 'chill pills' as my daughter says i should take............ get some and share them out...

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
dave the gaffer said:
Yes but, if you comment on those comments, and then he asks people to comment on the comments about the comments, then presumably, you could be in your rights not to comment on the comments about the comments made about the comments.
Yer, you tell 'em:angry: :eek: :wave:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I've just had a thought to what might be the problem, because we have planned for no cars to be allowed at the stadium, 2 jags is concerned that he will have to walk to the ground for the grand opening.:lolol:

rochdale seagull

May 23, 2004
Living where I do I have to follow the Falmer story from afar and have to admit I dont know all the ins and outs or the area for theproposed new stadium very well - however I have "stood up to support Falmer" more times than I care to mention. I have also sent my letters to JP and even got Man U/City colleagues to do same. However rather than just blindly follow the crowd I thought I'd better check out the other point of view so went onto the Falmer Against stadium site and read their rebuttal of all points made by the club.
Just so I feel completely vidicated in my belief that these people are being narrow minded can someone who knows the detail better than I put my mind at rest:

1. are there other viable sites as they claim. I remember reading there were other sites looked at but none were deemed suitable.

2. Is this site in an AONB - whenever I read updates on here reports are that basically it is a weedy field surrounded by main roads and Univerisity buildings. Would make my green credentials feel a bit better if we weren't concreting over some fabulous sussex beauty spot!

I'm sure some one can point me in right direction to see the detailed argument for Falmer just to reaffirm my convictions after a wobbly moment having read their propoganda.

the rest of their points show how little they understand about football or it's importance to local community. For example how can you measure the feel good factor after the play off finals and its effect on the people in and around Brighton and further afield.

Saddo that I am, I had a look at the ODPM web site at lunch time to see if there was any indication of a decision (some chance!); but then I noticed the section on 'Planning' and it carried the detail of a decision conveyed in the affirmative for some site in Cambridgeshire;
Part of a 'green site' , part of a university's land, conflicting views as to whether it was the 'only suitable' site - or not and having been taken after enquiry (original submissions and hearings between Nov 2002 and April 2003 - from memory and decision handed down in Nov 2003, I think it was.).

All sounds hazily familiar. Hopefully we get the same result, perhaps one of our learned friends can say if these things follow logically, in which case shouldn't we hear about July / August?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Hang on... isn't it only a seven day extension to the consultation period?

What's seven days in the grand scheme of things? We expecting something to be said in August anyway...

Or have I got that wrong?

rochdale seagull said:

1. are there other viable sites as they claim. I remember reading there were other sites looked at but none were deemed suitable.

no - they were all consuderd before the 99 referendum and rejected

2. Is this site in an AONB - whenever I read updates on here reports are that basically it is a weedy field surrounded by main roads and Univerisity buildings. Would make my green credentials feel a bit better if we weren't concreting over some fabulous sussex beauty spot!

Yes it is an AONB - for the time being. It loses its designation when and if the South Down National Park is created. It is howver, a ploughed weedy field bordered by a dual carriageway, railway line and a university

I'm sure some one can point me in right direction to see the detailed argument for Falmer just to reaffirm my convictions after a wobbly moment having read their propoganda.

the rest of their points show how little they understand about football or it's importance to local community. For example how can you measure the feel good factor after the play off finals and its effect on the people in and around Brighton and further afield.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
this is fuckin bollox! i cant explain my anger, all he has to do is look at the site, think about trransport then open his fat fuckin gob and say yes!

I'm becoming very sceptical now of falmer ever being built and at most we'll be a relegation 1st division team!

I cant imagine how he can deprive the whole community a stadium!

We fuckin damn right we have the best football fans dealing with this crap.

:angry:

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
I hope there is no more extensions it is getting to me too but as said before what is 7 more days.

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Would it be a political benefit to Labour to announce the decision at their annual Brighton conference? The streets of cheering Brighton fans greeting Prezza would look good for them....

Just a thought....

Last edited:

Planning decisions are never "announced" in a speech (and certainly not at a party political event; they are government decisions, not Labour Party decisions).

They are notified by means of a letter to the applicant, which is copied to the local planning authority and the other interested parties at the same time. The decision will be accompanied by a detailed explanation of the reasons. The whole document will be a very long one.

There's an example of a decision letter here (from the Cambridge University application relating to laboratories at Huntingdon Road, Cambridge):-

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_planning/documents/page/odpm_plan_025817.pdf

The decision letter is 13 pages long. It's accompanied by 2 pages of conditions and an Annex listing the people who have made Post Inquiry Representations (in this example the list of names is 13 pages long; in the Albion case it could be a very much longer list indeed).

Last edited:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Lord Bracknell said:
The decision letter is 13 pages long. It's accompanied by 2 pages of conditions and an Annex listing the people who have made Post Inquiry Representations (in this example the list of names is 13 pages long; in the Albion case it could be a very much longer list indeed).

Yes, quite:
Following the close of the public inquiry, further representations were received ... In those circumstances, he
did not consider that they needed to be circulated to parties under Rule 17 of the
Town and Country Planning (Inquiry Procedure) (England) Rules 2000, or in the
interests of natural justice, prior to making his decision. A schedule of the
correspondence can be found at Annex B. Copies of this correspondence are not
attached to this letter but can be made available upon written request to the above
address.

So we can write to the ODPM after the decision is made and they have to supply us with copies of all the letters sent! That'll piss off the mandarins for taking so long... mwah hah ha ha ha!!!

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Look, it's so fcuking obvious...

Make the fcuking decision now...

Make the fcuking right decsion...

Say YES to Falmer...

LB - do you think the two inspector's reports conflict?...

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
This is just turning into an absolute farce. I've been right behind Falmer from the start due to the beneficial effect on a community I believe football has. As someone who has seen the likes of the money generated from a football club go into regenerating poverty-stricken communities, with only a helping hand (rather than a lump sum) from an owner like Mr Madejski, its plain to see that any one place that rejuvinates an entire community of a medium-sized city is definitely in the national interest. "Provincial club"... yeah well what exactly is wrong with that?! Of course Brighton and Hove Albion represents a province... what exactly is every club apart from Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, and Chelsea then? National interests as a club, no. National interests as a source of community, well-being, and recreation, yes. It cannot be denied otherwise. Why should people always have to think on a national level? If those who already possess very good football grounds and recreation facilities are enjoying such amenities, how on earth can another community be denied access to this? Surely the entire principal of local government is to bring the national interest down to a local level. And the people of the town have shown their favour in support... what more is needed???

Falmer is an area of "outstanding natural beauty". Now, call me slightly ignorant, but as someone who has visited the area near the university, around the outskirts of Coldean and Mooulscomb (sp?), I can tell you out of the 95% of England that still remains countryside, it is probably in the lower 20%. Nice green fields yes, but is a 1 hectare area of land really going to spoil it for those who enjoy it?

As the national game, football re-ignities the nation in times such as this when a major tournement comes around. Therefore, if football is in the interests of the entire nation, as a massive revenue generator for the UK economy, any government would want to see all areas of the UK able to generate that revenue. Being from a football-mad city like Reading (football-mad, sadly not all Reading FC mad!), you can see how much it means to people right down from the big tournements where pubs and bars open at 10am, to the Chelsea Headhunters using their "free time" to touch base in the Three Guineas, right down to the ex-slums where local gangs play football to get by and actually find solstice in their life outside their various occupations. Preservation is key, and development is key. If the decision comes down to one man alone, who's job (almost) is to preserve the national interest while taking the country forward, I cannot see how he turn such an application down. He would be denying 60,000 residents (and around 20,000 fans) the privilege at the will of around 500 people. Democracy that is most definitely not.

Much of this has probably be said before, by many of you (having met some of you as well and discussed these sort of things over a mashed up greasy fry-up on the beach on a post-NSC meetup on the beach), but it never ceases to amaze me how the views of the few have seemingly so much influence on the wants of the many. And if we had a country like that, god forbid the BNP would be in power, and we'd have religous holidays for every day of the week due to one culture having their way over others.

You may want to note that nearly every "new ground" has come across problems like this, yet have overruled them due to the minority backing down. Take heed, and although the minority are a lot more influential - it appears - on this occasion, don't even think that it is any more difficult to win, its just that bit more effort.

BTW - Come on England...

South Stand Zealot

Jul 8, 2003
Haywards Heath
Let's dream up some conditions that JP may impose -

The stadium's capacity may be such that only 2 people may attend each match.

They may not talk let alone shout for fear of disturbing the peace and tranquility of Falmer village.

Floodlights may be erected but the lights must never be turned on. Only candles may be used.

A tannoy sysytem may be installed but must never be switched on especially if Attila wants to play some PUNK GRUNGE.

Each and every resident of Falmer village to be given a private box with a view of the sea

Open air concerts allowed provided non-amplified harps are played.

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS ?

:smokin:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here