Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer stadium deadline extended

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
If the decision does go our way, what is the latest info on when the thing will actually be built. Would we move in for the start of the 06/07 season or the one after?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
CP 0 3 BHA said:
If the decision does go our way, what is the latest info on when the thing will actually be built. Would we move in for the start of the 06/07 season or the one after?

That rather depends on how long it takes to construct the new University buildings, and for them to move out of and demolish the old ones. Only once the University of Brighton have finished their work can we start ours.

Re: Re: Re: Falmer stadium deadline extended

Lord Bracknell said:
One reason is that whatever gets written has to be read by the civil servants in the ODPM.

You're a civil servant, Storer 68. Perhaps you can let us know whether these people are slow readers.

:lolol:

Once the reading has been done, they'll have to prepare a report to the Minister and draft the decision letter (which, I promise, will be VERY long).

Ah Lord B, don't start me on the failings of the ODPM as a competent entity for they are many and varied................................................

I notice that I wrote a letter to Prescott on 5 February 2004 extoling the virtues of Falmer and my dismay at the conclusions of the lunatic Hoile. That was four months ago - how much longer can these pillocks drag out this process to make a decision.

To date I have not even received an acknowledgement

In my department, that would not happen

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Schedule for rest of summer:

June 18th: final replies to be in to ODPM

June 30th: ODPM announces that, due the recent spell of hot weather, office windows were carelessly left open and a number of key Falmer documents were blown away in the wind. The club and the NIMBYs are asked to resubmit all their evidence, delaying anticipated decision by 4 weeks.

July 5th: ODPM minion who was reading the initial 200 pages of the PI report is fired for inappropriate internet usage, resulting in a new minion having to be recruited. Starts reading report from scratch, delaying anticipated decision by further 3 weeks.

July 21st: ODPM announces that Prescott is to attend Olympic games in Athens as representative of the government, delaying anticipated decision by 2 weeks.

August 17th: ODPM announces that jam from a donut celebrating a minion's leaving party has accidentally leaked on to a crucial part of Charles Hoile's report. Hoile asked to resubmit report, delaying anticipated decision by 2 months.

September 16th: sudden discovery of WMD in Iraq leads to outbreak of joy in government offices. Resultant parties delay anticipated decision by 2 weeks.

October 1st: a report by NIMBYs stating that any new stadium development would adversely affect the ability of Santa Claus to deliver Christmas presents to children on the northern side of Falmer village, owing to lack of reindeer parking. Norman Baker raises an EDM in parliament to criticise this attack on the children's rights to Christmas presents, delaying anticipated decision to June 2005.

April 2005: John Prescott unexpectedly loses his Hull parliamentary seat in general election. Subsequent appointment of new DPM results in public inquiry being restarted, delaying anticipated decision to December 2005. Albion's legal bills close to the Gross National Product of Argentina.

January 2006: new DPM approves construction of Falmer with restrictions: capacity of stadium to be no more than 7000 seats, parking to be banned within a 2 mile radius of the arena, and dressing rooms to be a separate entity, comprised of two portakabins and a tunnel covered with garden netting.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Nobody has really answered the point that jumped out at me and I assume many others. what does the phrase "Conflicting planning reports are the reason for the seven-day extension" mean in plain English, is this the BBC making stuff up :angry: , does this come from the ODPM ??? , does it mean the planners were in disagreement as to the decision :clap: or does it mean that certain differences facts in the reports leading to redrafts etc and longer delays :censored: .

Please , Please explain someone in the know about such things. Don't mince words , if you know please spell it out

May 29, 2004
Lancing
kirsty952002 said:
i know this probaly isnt going to happen, but heard they were gonna try and make it bigger then they want Falmer, so they could have a chance of hosting concerts, national matchs etc. but the chances of that happening is rather remote because we can't even get flippin permission for Falmer for God's Sake!!!!!! :(

In todays letter page of Argus

"While Brighton and Hove Albion walk tall, the people of the city think small. There is no reason why the Seagulls should not soon be a Premiship side, so why not find them a proper home?

Building a sports/entertainment stadium should benefit us all.

Given the inability of London to create another Wembley or Millennium Stadium, now is the time for the people of this county to back a venue that could be used for international football, rugby, showjumping, concerts etc.

If more than a quarter of a million people were able to get into the city for a free beach party without too much trouble, could we not think of a 70,000-plus venue rather than a standard football capacity of 30,000?

If it is possible to build a larger stadium it would be easier to build it now rather than build and have to extend in the future should the Seagulls get to their rightful position in the Premiership."

??? :ohmy: ???

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I hope they have wheelchair access to Falmer, because by the time its f***ing built I will be too old to f***ing walk into the ground !!!

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Caveman said:
Right got the van sorted, anyone got any bricks?

There's some corrugated iron along the Old Shoreham Road we could use. Would it stand up if you put some concrete in?

Lord B, I am a civil servant too, though only a beginner. One of the problems is that any report received will first come to JP's Private Office, where his PS, or more likely, an APS, will read it, and if Keith Hill is involved, his Private Office will also read it. They will then forward it to the appropriate unit for advice. That unit is then required to write a submission to JP and Keith Hill, plus any advice with a draft letter for the one making the decision to sign. If any report is in hard copy only, it will have to be taken between each building (JP and Keith Hill are based at the Cabinet Office at 26 Whitehall, while the ODPM is near Victoria, on Bressenden Place), which adds extra time. If Ros gets a design commission, does she have to submit it to you for approval before doing her work?????...........No, I thought not :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:What a palaver. I must admit that before the Civil Service, I didn't know how little Ministers are involved in actual decision making.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
December 2006- global warming results in giant landslides and disappearance of entire Falmer site (still, it's not all bad, the village is also swept away, along with- mysteriously- Norman Baker's house) under 100ft of seawater.

Dick Knight claims refund of stadium inquiry legal costs from the Falmer Village Disaster Relief Fund and targets new stadium at Waterhall. Council come out in favour but warn it will inevitably go to a public enquiry....

"the inability of London to create a new Wembley ........":dunce:

its going up a feck sight faster than Falmer...........................

ArchLift_2.jpg

StaffsGull said:
Nobody has really answered the point that jumped out at me and I assume many others. what does the phrase "Conflicting planning reports are the reason for the seven-day extension" mean in plain English, is this the BBC making stuff up :angry: , does this come from the ODPM ??? , does it mean the planners were in disagreement as to the decision :clap: or does it mean that certain differences facts in the reports leading to redrafts etc and longer delays :censored: .

Please , Please explain someone in the know about such things. Don't mince words , if you know please spell it out
The specific "conflicting planning reports" that were sent out for comment by the ODPM on 26 May include reports prepared on behalf of the Albion, Falmer For All, the Supporters' Club, Brighton & Hove City Council, the University of Brighton, Falmer Parish Council, the Society of Sussex Downsmen, the Sussex Downs Conservation Board, the Campaign to Protect Rural England, Rottingdean Parish Council and a number of individual Interested Parties. Some of the documents are Reports, some of them are nothing more than letters.

To summarise the nature of the "conflict":- Some people think Falmer is the only suitable, available and sustainable site. Other people want a stadium somewhere else. Wolf Man (and you'll know who I mean if you went to the Inquiry) wants the European Union to enforce EIA Directive 85/337/EEC as amended by EU Directive 2003/35/EC.

Last edited:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I suspect they were going to say NO, then saw the Albion faithfull in Cardiff and thought they should review their decision.

You do all know that if he does happen to say yes, the nimby lot are allowed to appeal.... years, and years and years

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
somerset said:
I suspect they were going to say NO, then saw the Albion faithfull in Cardiff and thought they should review their decision.

You do all know that if he does happen to say yes, the nimby lot are allowed to appeal.... years, and years and years
What makes you think that 2 jags or any senior civil servant is aware of 30,000 fans at Cardiff or that they care? They have bits of paper in front of them that will be collated by middle grade civil servants who will say in planning terms DPM you should approve/not approve. The only hope is that Caplin and co will have taken JP out for a pie and beer and said when you see a bit of paper with the word Falmer on it, say "Yes". Hopefully he will remember.
I'm in my 60's and am beginning to think my ashes will be scattered at Withdean not Falmer, assuming we still have a team .

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself :shootself :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This is really taking the piss now.

I am going to drive up to London and acost Prescott and say

Oh Fatboy, make a fecking decision NOW before I have to draw my pension you are really making me angry now and you wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Gaffer said:
What makes you think that 2 jags or any senior civil servant is aware of 30,000 fans at Cardiff or that they care? They have bits of paper in front of them that will be collated by middle grade civil servants who will say in planning terms DPM you should approve/not approve. The only hope is that Caplin and co will have taken JP out for a pie and beer and said when you see a bit of paper with the word Falmer on it, say "Yes". Hopefully he will remember.
I'm in my 60's and am beginning to think my ashes will be scattered at Withdean not Falmer, assuming we still have a team .

It was just athought Gaffer,............. I am 41 and i am worried about not getting there in time too....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here